1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

KPJ Can't pass to Sengun?

Stupid Narratives are STUPID.

DD

Verbal Christ and Os Trigonum like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

One decent pass to Sengun, a much better pass from Sengun in this clip.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  3. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

LOL. Stop this nonsense already. They are both natural SGs. And the similarities end right there. And for our sake, you better hope they are not the same player. Otherwise we’ve wasted a #2 pick. That’d be a colossal disaster.

King1, Reeko, i3artow i3aller and 3 others like this.
  4. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

That’s like saying all SGs are same, except “they approach the game a little differently”. WTF

5. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Harden was a PG off the bench for OKC. When he and WB played together he was the point guard WB moved to sg. What are you talking about? You seem to like to make things up a lot. If you dont have a point guard who can playmake then you need to have a playmaker at a different position and you cant have the point constantly have the ball unless he is a superstar if he isnt a playmaker. KPJ is not a superstar or a good playmaker, he makes bad decisions and he should be nowhere near point guard position unless we put the ball in someone elses hands. Thats why people are pissed we arent running everything through Sengun. Over the past day whenever I read a post by you IM confused at how you are a basketball fan. You seem to know nothing about basketball.

#1645 Joe Rocket, Dec 4, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I don't think he has all these problems you're talking about. Again, it may look worse because he's playing with a bunch of 20 yr olds and a coach who is not mandated to win. His mental issues have been in total control since that outburst with Wood and I can tell from his play and interviews that he has figured something out there.

Just seems very similar to Wiggins. As you mentioned, if KPJ was playing for the Warriors where he's surrounded by shooters, excellent ball movement, multi-ring champions who will not take his ****, I bet he would look a lot better than he looks here. You have to be able to isolate what part of the problem is him and what part is things he can't control. Regardless of where each was drafted, they seem very similar on the court and have been plagued by the exact same early career issues (bad shot selection, overconfidence in certain skills, a losing environment, inconsistent motivation).

They'll be fine, you're too worried. It's not unusual for players to take 2-3 years to develop. It's not unheard of for something to click with a player after working on him for a long time. He's been trying this for a year and what we know is he's not a natural at it. Well, we're not trying to make him a natural and we don't necessarily need a natural PG at PG, that's not an absolute requirement of championship teams.

He's not a good PG yet but that doesn't mean he'll never be and it doesn't mean he can't be the PG with the least usage in the NBA. There are many opportunities and nothing to worry about at the moment. In the first 20 games the schedule was really difficult and it was becoming an issue that the other players were not being fed the ball well. It's starting to stabilize now and we're finding ways to reduce those issues gradually.

IMO he's going to end up an excellent 3 & D player who can play a little PG and punish you if you close out too aggressively. I don't know how long it will take but he will get there.

jiggyfly, Verbal Christ and wolstein like this.
  7. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

In the scenario where he is on the Warriors he wouldnt be a starting point guard. WE ARE STARTING HIM AT POINT GUARD. Steph Curry aint walking through that door and I have no interest in training KPJ to be a good role player for another team. I think that people with this type of view dont get or understand or they arent listening. Its like you dont know what youre seeing. And frankly I think you dont get basketball or never played IMO. We are sacrificing growth of other players for the sake of a player that was never seen as someone who would end up a star. Any passer by, and Im sorry any novel NBA viewer, random commentator, and casual looks at KPJ and says he's not a point guard. He does not have the vision nor the talent for it and he doesnt have the decsion making, he doesnt have the handle, he doesnt not have the mental fortitude it takes. The ultimate faith you have in KPJ is puzzling. Its like you think we can take any player put them as point guard leave them there for years and boom bobs your uncle. It doesnt work like that.

King1 and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Calm down dude. You are way over the top. You're obviously expressing an opinion that many people don't agree with and you can be at peace with that or find out why. It's impossible to believe that your view is realistic because it's so catastrophic that we wouldn't have been able to win 2 or 3 random games if it was that bad. Something is not adding up in your assessment.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Let me ask you this. You mentioned improvement, what exactly would you want KPJ to do better?

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

lol

Joe Rocket likes this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny because one poster said he didn't want KPJ to shoot, just pass the ball. So basically, he wanted Ben Simmons.

Another said , he wants him to just pass only to Sengun or pass it to him better. Its easier to pass via a LOB, just ask Harden and CP3.

And some players just have a better mix. KPJ and Bruno just mix well.

#1652 hlmbasketball, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    ApacheWarrior and DaDakota like this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's a very thin line if you are saying that a shooting guard who play makes effectively isn't a pg.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So what you're saying is that on the one hand his critics dont think he can pass at all, but then on the other they would like him to pass as well as the all time greats?! Hmmm seems like there is some room for compromise there, but im not certain may have to go to the scorecards to make sure. :rolleyes:

#1654 Verbal Christ, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

No one is going to please everybody, that's why I asked the question, "what do you want him to do better?" Because you would get many different answers.

He's not Harden, he's not CP3 or Curry. He's a 22yr old talented player that's learning his position.

ApacheWarrior and Verbal Christ like this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Silas after seeing a guy playmaking like this:
    ill play this boy 6 minutes a night
    its perfect for his development

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

So, when KPJ becomes efficient, then he will become a PG? If that's the case, what is Westbrook?

18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just glad he play KPJ more than 6 mins a night! Lol. That was a great no look pass inside the lane to Sengun.

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

his entire game seems to be based on not looking...

Joe Rocket likes this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Green was the right pick - as he was the better player, however if you truly believed that KPJ was your SG, then Mobley would have been the right pick.

Now, you have 2 potential all star SGs and you are trying to force one into a playmaking role - it might work, which would be awesome but it will take a lot of time.

Which in all honesty we do have.

DD

hlmbasketball likes this.