1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I agree he's very talented BUT limited. And his fans can not accept that....he can not move laterally!

If you're building a Championship team, you look for two way starters.

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Full stop. No one on the team is a two way starter. The one hindering the growth of the team is kpj. Man is not a point guard nor is he good at play making. His Inability to utilize an offense talent like sengun, alone speaks volume of how bad of a fit he is running our offense.

The sooner kpj fans and silas realize it the better it will b for our team in the long run. Sengun needs more mins regardless if he's benched or starting. I do not trust silas to allocated the proper amount of mins to sengun.

We are not building a Championship team, we are looking for players who has synergy with each other.

3. maypk

maypk Member

Just watch the first quarter blowout again and please let me know if KPJ and Jalen are more horrible at defense or Sengun.

clutchdabear likes this.
  4. maypk

maypk Member

If you look for two way starters, get rid of Jalen Green too.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. i3artow i3aller

7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Do not let people illogical dismissal of sengun cloud your common sense.

Green is developing and so is sengun. Direct your anger towards the right dude.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  8. maypk

maypk Member

I don't think Green is developing.

9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Really? He's leaps better than he was last year, that developing bro.

Man's pnr game with sengun is there.

He's more aggressive towards the rim. He's scoring more effortlessly and he's getting there on defense.

Like I said green is not the one u should b mad at. It's kpj inability to play with sengun is what leads to him being benched bc kpj is Silas favorite.

10. maypk

maypk Member

He was always aggressive at the rim, if he could finish more often or more efficiently, i'd say that's a development but at the moment he can't.

I agree. His playmaking skills are improved but it doesn't really matter if he's playing pnr twice per game.

I'm not really mad at anyone tbh. I'm almost sure Sengun's gonna have a great career regardless of what's happening in the Rockets or what will happen in the future.

I just don't understand how some Rockets fans think KPJ and Silas can actually lead them to success, lol.

11. i3artow i3aller

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

agreed that KPJ, Al P, and Green don’t play well together. As folks have pointed out, they are not good defensively. That’s only gonna get solved through practice, effort and focus. But on the offensive side of the ball Al P and Green seem to work. KPJ doesn’t seem to play well with either.

I think Kpj is a very good shooting guard, but It doesn’t take a genius to see that he is not a good fit running the floor and should be coming off the bench if we are committed to Developing Jalen and Al P.

frankly anything that gets in the way of Jalen, Al P, Jabari or Tari’s development needs to be avoided or changed. Those are the 4 most important players to our future.

tyty’s time can’t come soon enough.

clutchdabear and Easy like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Better yet, start Bruno and bring Sengun off the bench to make the starting unit more cohesive and let Sengun run the second team with your guy Tyty.

Win/win scenario. Sengun gets more touches and he doesn't kill the starting unit.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Got to play and develop chemistry, there will be mistakes. Some folks blame KPJ, when the reality is that all of them are making mistakes.

gonna take time.

DD

15. Aruba77

man I guess we are watching two different players. With Sengun I see a guy who is a legit threat in the post with rare passing skills to kick out and get our shooters going. The guy who’s killing the offense is actually KPJ, with his over dribbling, poor decisions, inconsistent defense, and turnovers. To be clear, I think a lot of KPJ, but the roll we’ve put him in creates more challenges for Sengun and Green, who are better prospects.

I’d personally like to see us play Eason and Jabari (even Garuba) more when Sengun is on the floor, to balance out some of the defensive liability. I don’t think benching Sengun for a Bruno is the answer.

16. DaDakota

The team needs a structure - too much ISO.

DD

Aruba77 likes this.
  17. Aruba77

hey, Green is overdribbling, taking bad shot, and turning the ball over too. He’s really got to be accountable for his mistakes and work hard to take the next step. I’ve been a little disappointed with his inconsistency. But as you point out they are young. It’s definitely not all on KPJ. But we’ve seen a big enough sample size of KPJ running the floor, we are not at our best when that’s happening. We need to continue to experiment with rotations and approaches. We shouldnt be sticking with the current configuration at all costs. And it just feels like this regime is determined to have the ball in KPJ’s hands no matter what the end result looks like.

clutchdabear, Easy and maypk like this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KPJ can grow...into a more efficient scorer. But he's never going to be the "point guard that was promised." And putting that square peg into a round hole experiment is doomed to fail. You can keep trying for 1 year, 3 years, or 10 years, but what KPJ fans need to get is that some ponies can't do every trick. Some people are never going to have the vision required to see the game in a way that makes them an effective floor general which is much more than making great passes or breaking down defenses, but understanding what passes to make to unlock other guys abilities and exploit defenses. KPJ can only see the pass that leads to the assist - not the pass that leads to the drive that lead to the pass that leads to the pass to the open 3. That's his problem. He's never going to see what guys who are his age and already seeing that can. He doesn't have it. It's not an experience thing.

So let him be who he is - a scorer. Let him grow in that regards. Sure he can play pg for the rest of the year because there is no one else right now. But come this summer, the Rockets need to find a new pg either through draft or trade. Nix is likely nothing more than a backup, and Tyty, well, he probably won't be ready for a while.

KPJ can be the 6th man of the year type.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's the problem, you're looking at the players and ignoring how the team operates with them on the court. Sengun doesn't fit very well with the starters because he's trying to play a different game than everyone else.

Have Sengun run the second unit and he can pay the game his way without getting in the way of the starters.

In the last 2 games every single time Sengun has been in the court for more than a minute or two, the Rockets have gone down double digits.... that's not a coincidence.

I'm not saying Bruno is better than Sengun, I'm saying that bringing Sengun off the bench gives him easier defensive assignments and allows him to get more post touches. It's the obvious solution. It's a fit argument, not a talent argument.

20. DaDakota

No we haven't.....part of being successful in the NBA is playing well as a group, and right now that isn't happening consistently, it comes with time together.....Imagine you are the PG of this team, how many different lineups get used? We are playing an 11 man rotation, that is insane.....there isn't time to develop proper chemistry.....where each player wants the ball when to roll where to initiate the PnR so they can both be effective.

For instance, Bruno initiates the PNR at the top and dives HARD to the rim, KPJ lobs it up and he finishes....

Sengun is better initiating at the elbow and slow rollling to the hoop - the pass is required way earlier than the lob......KPJ is wanting to lob, he needs to adjust with Sengun to help him be successful....that takes either a coach/staff to let him know this is what is happening or for the players to figure it out on their own.

All of it takes time and court playing time together.

I don't care about the stupid mistakes......the team is epically young - I just don't like people over analyzing kids....and blaming anyone for them being poor when it starts with the Front office and the coach.

DD