1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Buck Turgidson

Alex Bregman, 1st 104 PA: .221 .279 .347 .626
    Josh Jung, 1st 102 PA: .204 .235 .418 .654

Jung is gonna hit (no guarantees as you mentioned, but I'd bet on it), main question is how he handles 3B. He also didn't start his season until late July due to a shoulder strain.

Jeremy Williams likes this.
  2. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Martin Perez was a Cy Young candidate in the first half and was Jose Urquidy in the second half.
    Jung looks like another Mike Olt.

They finished 30 games under .500 with all those guys. It's not like they are adding Seager and Semien now. They had them and finished 30 games under. They are adding Degrom and Odorizzi and are now somehow supposed to be 30 games better?

Kim, IBTL, crose and 1 other person like this.
  3. texans1095

texans1095 Member

That’s the key. If they can make 2-3 more solid additions then I’ll concede that they’re legit WC contenders. For now I’m still skeptical, especially given the fact that the odds are wholly stacked against deGrom throwing more than like 130 innings this year.

Jeremy Williams likes this.
  4. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I completely agree, that’s why I ended that statement by saying his career certainly isn’t decided already. He’s absolutely capable of being a very good hitter, was simply pointing out that we haven’t actually seen the production yet.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. Yordan The Great

Gomer Pyle.

6. Jeremy Williams

I can see them about 15 games better so far. They still have room for improvement.

7. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Jung in those 102 plate appearances - 39 strikeouts
    Bregman in his first 153 PA -36 strikeouts

Jung at close to 40% Ks is at a level that I would consider difficult to recover from considering he only walked 4% of the time.
    He had similar numbers last year at AAA as a 24 year old. Four walks in over 100 AAA plate appearances is rough.

8. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed.

9. Buck Turgidson

Leiter, Rocker and Owen White are really interesting SP prospects that aren't too far away from contributing if they can put it together.

10. Jeremy Williams

The incoming prospects will definitely make a huge difference if they can develop them well. One thing this DeGrom signing does for the Rangers is it continues to re-create the image of the franchise. More players will want to come to Arlington if they continue to show growth and commitment.

texans1095 likes this.
  11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Baseball is a funny game. There are usually a few surprises, either good or bad including good and bad luck with injuries.

Imagine how much better we could have been if Brantley did not go down, Yuli reproduced his 2021 season and Meyers shook off his injury with no problem and produced a 4.5 WAR. But it didn't happen. But we did have the depth to absorb the disappointments and win the WS.

raining threes likes this.
  12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Rockets beat Phoenix in Phoenix? Holy Sh*t.

Looks like the Rockets got past green's long shot.

edit: wrong thread

J-Mac likes this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If their lineup gets hot and they’re able to line up DeGrom-Perez-Gray the Rangers will have a chance in every series. But they’re at least one big OF bay away from having a deep enough lineup to contend, and I don’t think their bullpen will be very good.

14. No Worries

LMAO. Masterful trolling.

Thank The Invisible Pink Unicorn for the Rangers and Angels GMs. Their rosters are constructed around a handful of large contracts (for great players) and AAAA filler.

What would a great disaster like the Sinking of The Titantic is if the Rangers or Angles hired Luhnow as their GM.

15. No Worries

He has earned it :D

Respect.

raining threes likes this.
  16. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

now that they have won a second WS and got the 2017 monkey off their back - why not. If he and crane can patch things up I say go for it. Who cares what outsiders say -

#3336 CisBuds4U, Dec 3, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Right now. Bullpen is by far the easiest thing to fix going forward and on the fly.

18. Yordan The Great

Put me in the camp of wanting Luhnow back.

For anyone concerned with the negativity we might face from the rehire, screw it, not like the negativity towards us is going away anytime soon. So let's piss them off even more I say.

19. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, and they are missing three pitchers in their rotation. A CF that is a free agent.

They have a lot to work on.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  20. awc713

awc713 Member