1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Man the other owners have to hate the Rangers right now. 3 huge free agents the Rangers have paid significantly more than the rest of the league would have.

They are still far from us, or likely even Seattle, but with the new postseason format they are close enough that they can luck into being one of the 6 best teams. However they are far more likely to have an extremely well compensated .500 team.

2. Jeremy Williams

NOW I understand your blindness. Hahahaha

Degrom is going to be a beast for the Rangers.I have as much confidence in his health as i had in Verlander coming off TJ last year.

#3282 Jeremy Williams, Dec 3, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  3. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Mets like “should we offer JV 3/150?”

4. Jeremy Williams

Seager, Semien, Jung and Lowe are all very good players. They have a respectable 1-4. If they can upgrade a couple OF spots and improve their bullpen, i think their starters are good enough to elevate them to WC contenders. DeGrom is a huge get.

5. Jeremy Williams

The Click offer treatment maybe? (With a lot more respect and farewell included).

If we bring back Yuli as a util IF i just cant see him getting more than 30 games of play this year without a major injury to someone.

6. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I would argue trading Duane brown was the death of texans

Phillyrocket likes this.
  7. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I agree on that. That was were the downward spiral began.

8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Good Morning - It's time for the disappearing coffee. I remember pouring cups, but I never remember drinking them.

#3288 Marshall Bryant, Dec 3, 2022
    Nook and ryan_98 like this.
  9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The big news yesterday is the deGrom signing. It is the Angels/NYM path to mediocrity. I don't understand why it is so popular.

It deviates from the old NYY and current LAD plans who also spend big in FA because they do have a player development system in place.

Up to this point, the Astros have relied more on Trades than outside FA for their big moves outside of their development system. This may change this year.

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

And JV was good when he came back in 2020 ... for six innings.

Jeremy Williams likes this.
  11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

A very Met like response.

12. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I hope to see them sign Verlander. I know deGrom's signing may help or hurt the value of a contract Verlander will get. He is 40, and I do believe this will play some factor.

I've seen a lot of reports stating Mets are going to now pivot towards Verlander. At the end of the day, I believe Verlander wants to go to a place where he can win. The Mets have a lot of work to be done. The Yankees also fall in this category.

The Astros are truly the one team that is a contender that doesn't have massive holes.

13. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know a lot are making jokes about the Rangers, but the offseason just started and I highly doubt they are done. Wild card format changes everything.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Not really. It just minimizes the importance of the season. But a talented shallow team does not obtain success often and does not sustain success when they do.

15. Jeremy Williams

With Daniels gone i think its possible the Rangers begin to look like a good organization again. I would not be surprised to see them continue to add and become relevant.

Yordan The Great likes this.
  16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I certainly like Bochy and have since he played for the Astros. He spent plenty of time on the bench absorbing management as a backup C, and 2 years under Ashby is like graduate school.

I'm less familiar with the Front Office situation. Are they investing in their player development as well as Free Agents? That's what separates the one hit wonders from sustained success.

#3296 Marshall Bryant, Dec 3, 2022
  17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The most interesting thing about this comment is that he commented. I thought he was wrapped up in Soccer.

phasors28 likes this.
  18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Who should be Gold Glove Winner in this List

Adam Everett - 0 Gold Gloves

Derek Jeter
    Alex Rodriguez
    Nomar Garciaparra - Best All Around Hitter
    Miguel Tejada

RunninRaven likes this.
  19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Have you heard any scuttlebutt about the Vasquez market other than he wants to play as the primary catcher? I know it was only one game, but he's forever part of Astros History after catching a WS no hitter.

20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Arod is the only one who should even sniff the Gold Glove. He was at least above average.