1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

lets start with defensive runs saved. Or do I need to repost the heartbreaking catch off Bregman with bases loaded as an example of the types of plays Benintendi is capable of

for the record i've agreed on many accounts with your posts. This is one where we disagree since you think Meyers is better apparently

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

LOLOL. I knew it wouldnt take long, for people to get tired of a certain know it all.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am skeptical of their ability to make meaningful trades, as I think trade prices are very high. But here’s a list:

C: Jansen, Kirk, Murphy, Varsho
    OF: Corbin Carroll, Alek Thomas, Jake McCarthy, Gavin Sheets, Ian Happ, Randy Arozarena, Santander, Mullins, Reynolds, Gurriel, Winker, Friedl, Grichuk, Meadows, Cardinals young LHB OF, Fraley

On paper the Jays (catcher) and Diamondbacks (OF) seem to be good matches because they have a surplus of what Houston needs and a need for what Houston has a surplus of (SP). But I will be pretty surprised if Houston makes a big trade. There’s enough of what they need out on the free agent market that I think that’s where they’ll shop.

Throwing out a hypothetical, Ian Happ and SS prospect Ed Howard for Urquidy seems like a plausible deal.

Wulaw Horn and Jeremy Williams like this.
  4. Jeremy Williams

It’s just speculation on my part, but i dont think it would be easy to trade without a GM. It seems like we are very set at targeting FAs this offseason, which is not typical for us. I’m all for it. Id rather save trade pieces for the deadline.

prospecthugger and Snake Diggit like this.
  5. Salvy

Salvy Member

I liker Verlander but cmon, The Astros just handed this man two rings and raised his value to an all time high. As good as he has been its because of The Astros. The smart thing to do is to take The Astros offer and try and solidify his name in the record books....What most likely will happen is he goes to a lesser team that pays him and he retires without another world series appearance. If he goes its not a matter of The Astros saying thanks for the good times, its a matter of the Astros saying you are welcome for the good times....

Houstunna and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  6. TheresTheDagger

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Looks like 28 year old Andrew is still pretty capable

#3207 YOLO, Dec 2, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  8. Yordan The Great

Arozarena is a free agent?

Oh trades, nevermind.

Yeah those are a bit tricky.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

@hk_prometheus Thoughts?

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks maybe Houston is interested in Winker but Seattle wouldn’t engage with them so now Milwaukee is going to flip him. Seems like a solid buy-low for Houston. Hits lefty, high upside bat, can handle RF/LF and could get spot duty in CF. Seems odd the Brewers would trade for him right after shipping out Renfroe.

prospecthugger and Htown Legend like this.
  11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Can anyone tell me if he can be sent to the minors? It's not rule 5 yet and is a straight waiver, but he's taking up a 40 man roster spot. Is is a snatch and grab while everyone else is filling up their roster so they can't claim him? He doesn't seem like a candidate for an Active Roster spot.

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

13. HTown2017Champs

Saw we claimed a (backup) IF and got a bit excited. Right handed hitter though. Since Marwin left I've wanted a switch/lefty infield backup. Looks like pure competition for Hensley/Dubon. Spectacular range on the catch and great concentration, but to me, it looks like something Bregman or Pena would have caught cleanly without the bobble.

Could Will Wagner learn to play a serviceable SS? No, I'm not saying make him the everyday starter over Pena, but if he can at least be serviceable on spot duty it would go a LONG way towards helping him sticking on an MLB roster as a bench bat. They say you aren't a true utility IF unless you are capable at short. Supposedly he's shown a good arm at 3rd in Fall Ball, and good range. Would be nice.

awc713 likes this.
  14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Rangers keep spending lots of money to finish well behind the Astros.

No Worries and Mr Woods like this.
  15. Mattician

Mattician Member

Damn 37 mil a year for deGrom.

16. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Pena owns degrom. :D

17. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

What does that say to Verlander think about it

18. Jeremy Williams

I live in DFW. Finally, a reason to go watch a game without the Astros present.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Rangers gonna Ranger things up. He's over the hill and already not healthy. It's lighting money on fire

jim1961 likes this.
  20. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

They will get two more SPs watch.

Bet Basset is one of them maybe Tallion