1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The gold glove has always gone to the most popular player at a position who is not an absolute butcher with the leather.

Front offices acknowledge it, even give bonuses for it, but there are countless times where stats prove the wrong player won it.

It's voted on rather than determined by the best stats.

It's a terrible argument to use for a player being a better fielder than another.

Next you are going to tell me J.P. Crawford deserved the gold glove at SS in 2020 over Correa.

2. Radricky

Radricky Member

3. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

good trade for the Mariners.

4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Yeah obv 2020 but are you just forgetting 2 full seasons where he played 69 and 92 games, or..?

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Yes!!! Get Toro out of this division

Rock Block, Qan, Htown Legend and 7 others like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

It isn’t terrible in this case when he’s clearly a damn good LF and better than meyers

7. Landry's Tooth

Nimmo had a down year to get to an .800 ops. Nimmo outhit Contreras by a wide margin despite that.

Nimmo has a higher career ops. So it's not clean cut to say Contreras hit righties and lefties better.

Nimmo had a higher ops against righties fyi... higher average and ob... Contreras higher slugging.

8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would argue that he is not better than Meyers. At least not in the field.

2022 from Baseball Savant

Arm
    Jake 43%
    Benitendi 50%

Speed
    Jake 89%
    Benitendi 53%

Catches 1%-90% chance
    Jake 19/28 =67.9%
    Benitendi 29/54 =53.7%

Reaction
    Jake -0.1
    Benitendi -0.2

Burst
    Jake. +1.7
    Benitendi. +0.2

Route
    Jake +0.7
    Benitendi. +0.4

Ft vs avg
    Jake +2.3
    Benitendi. -0.4

average ft covered
    Jake 37.2
    Benitendi 33.9

Benitendi has proven experience and may be the better hitter but he is not a better fielder than Jake.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

You would be wrong then. Especially the Jake we’ve seen for the last year. And in LF where he would be playing Benitendi is significantly better

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

dWAR for Benintendi in 2021 was 0.3 in LF the year he won the GG.
    Meyers had 0.5 dWAR in CF in 163 PA in 2021.

Nobody has argued he wasn't the same player in 2022. It is questionable whether he can be the player he was in 2021, but there are signs he may. He could be a 4-5 WAR CFer with a near 2 dWAR. We just have to see and not overreact.

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If I am wrong what evidence do you offer?

I just gave mine.

13. Xopher

Xopher Member

Juan Soto says "Hi"

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If one of McCormick, Meyers or Leon can be above average, we are good. I define replacement as 0.0, average as 1.5 to 2.5 and above average as 2.5 to 3.5. I don't think that is too big of a leap. If two can get there, we have needed depth in the lower part of the batting order. We just need to avoid a black hole at the bottom of the line-up. If Meyers can perform like 2021 for a full season, he would have a 4.4. McCormick is also improving. Leon we just don't know.

We are not desperate.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

We care about Soto because

16. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

I have been reading Castro's game threads for 20 years. I also dabble in the GARM. I know you because you are basically BobbytheGreat. Every single post you write is tainted with hubris and condescension. I didn't block Bobby for years and years and I don't want to block you. But what is your deal? You don't watch the games like most of us because if you did you would post. That is undeniable.

You definitely don't know what you are talking about when it comes to baseball. If you did you would watch the games. I thought you just trolled the GARM because the audience there is unbearable. And that must be your thing.

But this forum is about as good as it gets for the internet. Very knowledgeable fans, an insider that only cares about informing us and a passionate group of people that have love for a team that the rest of the country hates.

And here comes YOLO...being a dick like always...which is ok...that's your thing...but you look so damn foolish since everyone here has been here forever and we all know you don't know **** about baseball. I will pay you to go away.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

Wah wah wah. You don’t know what I watch and don’t. Bc you post it means you watch . No. Another dumb Cf logic. Someone could claim to watch a ton. Bobby is a prime example since you brought him up. Half the time he posts nonsense. I’ve been around here long enough to know who knows what they’re talking about and who doesn’t.

miss me with this lecture.

hilarious how this started bc someone called AB and substantially worse fielder than current meyers. The same guy who has looked terrible for quite some time. If you agree with that then you’re in the same boat. When in reality AB is damn good in LF

#3197 YOLO, Dec 2, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  18. awc713

awc713 Member

@Snake Diggit (& others) outside of FA market, any players you would like for HOU to go after via trades? I recognize trading is prob less likely with the FA market where it is and also without us having a GM, but just curious

Htown Legend likes this.
  19. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I am that guy and you still haven't given me an answer.

I gave you statistical evidence category by category why Meyers is a better fielder than Benintendi.

You say I'm wrong

I'm still waiting for you to give me a real reason how Benintendi is better.

Astrofan59 likes this.