1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Screaming Fist

I would prefer Conforto over Nimmo. The Astros need a bat more than they need a capable fielder.

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Nimmo isn’t the same price tag though. He’s going to get 30 more based upon an extra
    Year plus 5M in AAV. if we sign Nimmo instead of Contreras I will be happy too. In reality we just ought to sign both. You could stay right at the tax and move a Maton or Dubon if you are a little over.

3. Major

Major Member

The OBP in this lineup is what stands out to me - players who get on base for all the all-stars are perfect. If my choices are Nimmo at $20MM for 5 years or Contreras at $20MM for 4 years, I take Nimmo every day. More versatile in the lineup with his ability to play the whole outfield and a better hitter.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Because Meyers hasn't shown that he can provide 90% of that value.

houstonstime and mikol13 like this.
  5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Contreras had a higher OPS than Tucker this year

Carry on

travfrancis and Wulaw Horn like this.
  6. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Is Nimmo injure prone or something? From 19-21 he averaged like 70 games a year

7. aristophanes34

I think you meant the 'Pitcher Whisperer.'

Nook likes this.
  8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

My issue with signing Nimmo to a 100 million dollar contract is in his 8 year career he has had over 325 at bats exactly twice. Dude can't stay healthy. I'd be very careful spending that kind of money on a guy who struggles to stay on the field

From a skills standpoint, I agree he would be great

9. Screaming Fist

Even after last season when he was put into the lineup before he was healthy/ready, he currently projects to be about a league average hitter while providing elite or at least near-elite defense. Benintendi projects to be about 15% better at the plate next season while providing substantially worse defense and likely worse base running as well. That’s worth $75M?

Jeremy Williams and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Benintendi who just won a GG a year ago, is a much better outfielder than Jake. it's not even close

11. awc713

awc713 Member

Put me in the camp that does not want to pay Benintendi 60-75mil. I would rather play it out with our current OFers and allot that chunk to extending our core. Same with Nimmo and a few other slightly-above-average players on the market. I just don’t love the market here and would hate to be committed to some of these players long term and at pretty high salaries, when our internal options may very well play just as good and exceed them towards the end of the contracts. I know this team needs to add some pieces but we don’t need to overhaul. I’m just kind of cringing at the idea of being on the hook for Benitendi at 15+ plus in 2025 or 2026 when I’d rather try to extend our stars. Benitendi is a fine player, but he is not great and is one season removed from being widely available (when he signed w KC).

Jeremy Williams and robbie380 like this.
  12. Screaming Fist

Yeah the guy who is older, slower and has a career -16 OAA in the OF is a much better outfielder than Meyers lol.

Astrofan59 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah the same meyers whose been absolute trash for over a year. Meyers will never sniff a GG consideration, let alone win one like Benintendi

14. Screaming Fist

GGs are nice, but do you think any FO outside of Colorado uses them to evaluate players? Meyers is simply better. He’s a much better athlete and his DRS/OAA back that up.

Jeremy Williams and Astrofan59 like this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

He isn't better. If he was, they wouldn't be looking for replacements and upgrades this entire time. Chas has even surpassed him. And yeah FO's definitely look at GG. I mean its something the entire league acknowledges and mentions. It's a league award. its common sense. I need a defensive outfielder. ok, I'll take a GG winner. It obviously has someone to do with defense

16. Major

Major Member

Fair - I didn't consider his injury history. That's certainly a yellow or red flag!

Jeremy Williams and The Beard like this.
  17. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

They are already planning it on Lookout Landing.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No...they don't.

GG's are on of the most poorly chose awards in sports and teams are well aware of that. They have actual data to tell them who is better. The only purpose is for PR for people like you who actually seem to think they matter.

Derek Jeter has a whole mess of Gold Gloves and he's one of the worst defensive shortstops ever.

19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

You an just forget 2020 and that atrocity of a season.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah ok. an official mlb recognition award is just glossed over and not even mentioned by folks that are evaluating players. makes sense

it's random folks on the internet that make up their own ideas