1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

matt gaetz newest legal troubles...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Mar 30, 2021.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

You'd think perv gaetz would be thinking about his own failings than attacking America's military leaders... but here we are.

2. NewRoxFan

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

this sounds just like how madams and brothels operate. they pay high school boys who legal aged girls would want as a boyfriend to recruit new "talent".

4. NewRoxFan

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow, a Trump toady ruined by his own behavior instead of his allegiance to The Slimy One! Respek!

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope Matt gets locked up and cowers like a baby when those prisoners get hold of him. Wouldn't you know that POS was the lone “nay” vote against the 2017 Combating Human Trafficking in Commercial Vehicles Act.

AleksandarN, adoo, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not sure where the news is on the immunity deal. Generally, prosecutors have a reasonable idea as to what they'd charge someone with. This would tell me that they didn't expect the girl did anything terribly wrong.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

10. adoo

adoo Member

11. NewRoxFan

More bad news for matt gaetz...

B-Bob likes this.
  12. hooroo

hooroo Member

"One of the key interactions Joel Greenberg claims to have had with Matt Gaetz is a phone call informing Gaetz that they'd been sleeping with a minor. Someone witnessed the call."

A birdie sang and now Gaetz is going to sing sing.

No Worries likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Qanon didn't bumrush this b****? Useless trashheap of the internet.

Maybe they can dumpster dive used pizza boxes for them latest clues on the BeAST

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm still waiting to see Matt Gaetz charged. If one of them is that the girl in question doesn't claim to be a victim my understanding is that underage sex and prostitution are still crimes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/01/us/politics/matt-gaetz-confidant-greenberg-sentence.html

Former Gaetz Confidant Is Sentenced to 11 Years in Prison
    Joel Greenberg, a tax collector in Florida, had been cooperating with the Justice Department in its investigation into Representative Matt Gaetz.

ORLANDO, Fla. — A Florida tax collector who has been cooperating with the Justice Department in its sex trafficking investigation into Representative Matt Gaetz, Republican of Florida, was sentenced on Thursday by a federal judge to 11 years in prison.

The tax collector, Joel Greenberg, had faced up to nearly three decades in prison for a litany of crimes he had committed, including trafficking a 17-year-old girl, stalking a political rival and stealing $400,000 in taxpayer money to buy cryptocurrencies and sports memorabilia. But in the hope of receiving a lesser sentence, he had cooperated with the government in a series of investigations, including into Mr. Gaetz.

“He has provided substantial cooperation to the government — more than I’ve seen in 22 years,” Judge Gregory A. Presnell said.

But the judge also excoriated Mr. Greenberg’s behavior.

“In 22 years, I’ve never experienced a case like this,” Judge Presnell said, adding, “I have never seen a defendant who has committed so many different types of crimes in such a short period.”

It is not clear what the sentencing means for the Justice Department’s investigation of Mr. Gaetz, who is a close ally of former President Donald J. Trump and has been under investigation for over a year and a half but has not been charged with a crime.

Mr. Greenberg has told federal authorities that he witnessed Mr. Gaetz have sex with the 17-year-old girl and that she was paid. In documents filed in connection with Mr. Greenberg’s sentencing, the Justice Department said he had “provided truthful and timely information” that led to the charging of at least four other people and “provided substantial assistance on other matters” that the government would address only in a sealed filing.

But there are several hurdles to bringing a case against Mr. Gaetz, who has denied any wrongdoing. Among the challenges is that the girl has said she does not believe she was a victim, according to a person briefed on the matter.

Mr. Greenberg’s lawyer, Fritz Scheller, has complained that the Justice Department has not charged those Mr. Greenberg implicated in the sex trafficking. Such a prosecution would have highlighted the benefits of Mr. Greenberg’s cooperation when it came to sentencing him.

In documents filed with the court in the lead-up to Mr. Greenberg’s sentencing, Mr. Scheller said the Justice Department was unwilling to charge those whom Mr. Greenberg implicated despite trying to put Mr. Greenberg behind bars for more than a decade.

“If the government is so concerned with general deterrence, then why hasn’t it prosecuted the other individuals, including public figures, who were also involved in Greenberg’s offenses?” Mr. Scheller said. “Indeed, Greenberg’s plea agreement refers to the involvement of multiple co-conspirators, including individuals involved in his sex offense.” He added that Mr. Greenberg’s account had been corroborated “by other witnesses and records.”

Mr. Greenberg came from a well-to-do Florida family that owned a chain of dentist offices. In court on Thursday, Mr. Scheller said Mr. Greenberg struggled as a child with emotional and attention deficit issues, which he said led to a diagnosis of bipolar disorder later in life.

As an adult, Mr. Greenberg tried to make it as a businessman but failed. He struggled with addiction issues but won election in 2016 in Seminole County, Fla., as its tax collector, portraying himself as a local version of Mr. Trump who could root out corruption.

But almost immediately, he started to use taxpayer money to pay for sex as he tried to ingratiate himself with up-and-coming Republicans in Florida state politics, by providing them with drugs and access to women and girls. His behavior continued to spin out of control until he was arrested in June 2020.

Mr. Scheller said Mr. Greenberg’s conduct was “bold, brazen, undeterrable but also manic” and that his behavior cannot be looked at without considering his “long history of mental health” issues.

Roger B. Handberg, the U.S. attorney for the Middle District of Florida, depicted Mr. Greenberg in court as a hardened criminal who never did the job he was elected to.

“He was not deterred when he found himself under criminal investigation,” Mr. Handberg said, adding, “He was not deterred when he was brought into this building.”

Mr. Greenberg, in a dark blue jumpsuit, spoke briefly at his sentencing.

“Nothing I say can justify my actions,” he said. “My conduct was so shameful. I feel such remorse for what I’ve done.”

He added: “To the minor, I apologize. To the people of Seminole County, I betrayed your trust. I also have deep sorrow for what I put my family through — to my mother and father, to my ex-wife and especially my children. I deserve punishment no matter how long that may be.”

The judge also sentenced Mr. Greenberg to 10 years of supervised release after he has completed his time in prison.

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’m surprised the age of consent is 18 in Florida.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They can reliability count up to 10.

11, 12, 13, 14, 18, 21...

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

For reading?

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

this dude Mr. Greenburg was trafficking children for sex, meanwhile he has a wife and kids of his own…

all this talk of grooming and pedophilia is brazen projection

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The real threat is teachers telling kids they can use different pronouns.

JuanValdez, Two Sandwiches and Reeko like this.