1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Major

Major Member

Dodgers don't care about payroll, and having Mookie that year helped them win a World Series. Even if they let him go after that year, I think they'd rather have a WS than Alex Verdugo.

YOLO likes this.
  2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

We'll get some real info soon enough. The "official" sprint for the players starts tomorrow and we've already made a couple of moves. I'm not really too concerned if we fill in with veterans or prospects at this point.

Our line-up is six deep with better players, one question mark (DH/LF), an average CF and a defense first Catcher.

Yordan The Great likes this.
  3. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Agree I would go get Contreras and Benintendi and see what else can fall into my plate after that

4. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Lol did you know he started as a catcher?

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  5. Landry's Tooth

I'm not sold on Contreras for a few reasons...

1) he's getting more than 3 years so it could overlap when we need to pay Tucker, Valdez, and Javier.
    2) While he is a catcher he would also be used at DH and maybe some other spots where his bat is mediocre
    3) we have 2 potential long term catchers under club control (Lee, Diaz) on the cheap and a great mentor for them in Maldy.

I would expect .250 hitter and .800 OPS.

That's roughly what Trey Mancini has been.

Contreras' value is as a primary catcher and I'm not wanting to risk him on the younger pitchers yet... Maldy helps in a way that's hard to quantify.

Lee or Diaz may be a better offensive catcher than Contreras in the long run.

That said, it all depends on the cost and alternatives out there.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I actually did, but I remember him as an Outfielder. That was the same era as Biggio moving to 2B. It was thought hitting catchers should be moved to less taxing positions. Light hitting Catchers and Shortstops were the rule.

Yordan The Great and Madmanmetz like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

If you have money it is an incredible place to live. It is literally made to cater to the rich.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Beaches, weather, scenery, movie stars, proximity to Vegas and San Diego, beaucoup sporting events (college and pro), etc

LA is a happening place, especially for younger people with money

There are disadvantages but overall Cali is awesome

#2988 Houstunna, Dec 1, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  9. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

You’d pay Contreras 4/84 to catch 40 games and be an average DH/1B/LF guy here and there? I’d rather have JV on 2/84 and not risk being able too afford Altuve, Bregman, Tucker, Valdez etc in 24’ and 25’ offseasons. Not to mention it takes a third LH bat (which is crucial) out of the everyday starting lineup. Astros can find the same production when Contreras is on the field for much less and a better defensive C for the same

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It really is. If I had the money...everything I enjoy is there in droves.

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If you had the money, you wouldn't have it for long living there.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Because I'd only have a static amount? I know you're making a "joke" about their taxes and higher cost of living but it really is a great place and there is a reason why it is still so populous.

13. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

I have to admit.....the lady and I watch on Weds when able (and WWHL) I know I know, its not easy sometimes but yea building up that equity bank after 30 years, keeps me able to watch my Stros unfettered for the entire run year after year. ;)

travfrancis and Yordan The Great like this.
  14. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

JV is gonna do JV.

I say get Benintendi and Contreras and see what else falls ur way

Toropug likes this.
  15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I know. But that was a fun exercise to think about.
    If the angels were smart they’d trade Trout and Ohtani. They aren’t smart.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I wouldn't go so far as REASON, but it is popular. People like strange things.

17. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Right but they can keep them if they want. Other teams don't have that chance bc once the players are ready to get paid, they can't afford them. This is why some teams in the majors have no shot at winning unless they get lucky and have a group of young players come out at the same time

18. Jeremy Williams

Contreras has been trending upward as a hitter for 4 straight seasons. Mancini peaked in 2019 and regressed to his norm since.
    Mancini is consistently a low 100 wRC+ player (aside from 2019). Contreras is consistently a 115-125 wRC+ player.
    Contreras and Mancini have similar production due to Mancini averaging about 40 extra games played per season.
    If you do not require Contreras to catch on a regular basis, his bat is likely in the lineup for 140+ games. Production will adjust accordingly.

Nook, Houstunna, travfrancis and 2 others like this.
  19. Landry's Tooth

I was looking at BA and OPS. Just did a quick glance for comparison. Not sure how 40 games changes OPS...

20. Jeremy Williams

Contreras would be a regular elite bat. No where near "average...here and there". As for extending players, Contreras getting an AAV into 2026 at 21M/per is a lot better on the hit to the team salary than JV for 2-3 years at 40M/per, especially if JV gets that 3rd year. In the end, it's probably Altuve OR Bregman. Tucker and the Astros were not close last offseason. Its more likely he goes the route of Correa and Springer.

The key to extending the window is to keep finding new ways to grow. This team has 3 players from 2017. In another 5 years, there are still probably only 3 players on the roster that we have now. The key isn't keeping the same guys.

#3000 Jeremy Williams, Dec 1, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    Toropug, Shark44 and Yordan The Great like this.