1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Can't he just sit out a year and have leg lengthening surgery so thar hes 6'2"?

2. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

LOL!!!!

I can see you are a die hard Bryce fan...

But before you get on your old Mighty High Horse go back and re-read my post... NOT ONCE have I EVER CRITIZE Bryce.. I merely stated why I would take Caleb over Bryce...
    Now back to what I was saying... Bryce has been very fortunate TO NOT HAVE TO SCRAMBLE Like Williams - Bryce has been very fortunate to have the Alabama O-Line... Those guys are big and good... Right now as others have stated he's more of a pocket QB and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's just that he will have to adjust to Scrambling A LOT... Which he hasn't had to do at Alabama, but Caleb has had to do at USC....

T_Man

3. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Several film breakdowns have been posted showing Bryce scrambling quite a bit behind his perfect offensive line. Caleb is more athletic than Bryce, so his scrambling is more intense, and he’s probably better at it but I read your first statement as saying you haven’t seen Bryce have to scramble which is factually incorrect.

4. raining threes

Stafford is in the 10-15 QB range.

Foles

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  5. raining threes

That none other than Wilson that's Young's size has EVER won a championship and Wilson had a SB roster waiting on him when he was drafted. (You may not understand this but this is what's known as history) But like I said, hopefully Young is the 1 in a million guy, because that's who I think Cal's going to make Caserio draft.

6. raining threes

If there was a great QB prospect in this draft I would agree with you. Drafting a QB because you need a QB is how bad teams stay bad.

body slam, Shark44 and red5rocket like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://theathletic.com/3947249/2022/11/30/nfl-mock-draft-dane-brugler/

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

OMG!!!! Here is what I stated... AGAIN!!! Bryce has been very fortunate TO NOT HAVE TO SCRAMBLE Like Williams

But you are correct.. I said Bryce has NEVER scrambled his entire career from pop warner to college...

T_Man

9. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I guess the T stands for testosterone. It’s not that serious.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Bryce year 1 ran for -23 yards. Year 2 ZERO net yards and this year its been 165. Williams at Oklahoma rushed for 442 yards and this season hes rushed for 351 yards. I understand that the systems are not comparable since Riley EXPECTS Williams to make plays with his feet so Im not knocking Bryce for playing within the playbook and to his strengths. I might say that Bryce has a better grasp of coverage recognition which will help him immensely as a pro.

Bryce is probably the best QB THIS YEAR, but all in all that may not be saying much.

I get that pining for Williams may be a lost cause due to the unexpected nature of the NFL draft a full season away, but I'd bet this Texan team wont be very good next season regardless of who they draft. I'd throw the kitchen sink at trying to land Williams while building up the defense and trenches this off season. This team also has the firepower to move up if necessary next draft.

If the Texans draft Young this year and keep Pep and Lovie then everyone better break out their rosaries.

whag00, Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

If running the ball to get yards is the aspect of scrambling that we’re discussing then there is no comparison. Caleb Williams is a faster athlete and a better runner by far. Bryce could have more yards if he chose to run more, but they aren’t comparable as running threats.

As for trading up next year. Many believe Caleb is generational talent. No team picking number 1 is giving that up for any amount of assets. I’m sure plenty of teams offered all sorts of things to try and trade up for Andrew Luck as well and it didn’t and wouldn’t have happened.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

In that case you pull the trigger on Drake Maye or even Ewers. The team would be built up with a solid foundation and able to take a secondary talent. You take Young this year behind this terrible OL and even worse offensive concepts and it will ruin him.

raining threes, T_Man and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. raining threes

Good thing Maye will be available if Caserio can't draft Williams.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I just don’t like how it seems like Caleb scrambles back 10-15 yards each time then runs sideline to sideline…seems like something that would give coaches a heart attack..that kind of stuff isn’t going to fly against NFL defenses

15. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Patrick Mahomes type scrambling is the ideal in my mind. You see it with Josh Allen and Justin Fields. It doesn’t matter how big you are, if you keep running and inviting contact, you will get hurt. Will Levis showcased that as well. He’s real big and strong and had to battle a number of injuries this year because of his play style.

This is why Tyler Lockett as small as he is, is still producing at the age of 30, because he catches the ball and gets down. This is why I’m not concerned about Bryce Young’s size or durability because he gets down when he’s running and in the pocket, he presents a smaller target to hit, so he’s rarely going to take full blasts. It’s usually the accumulation of hits that causes problems and not any specific one.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

17. raining threes

I worry more about his ability to see from the pocket.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is a concern

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  19. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

If you're referring to the height of o and d line, wouldn't they be close to the same as what he's been facing in college competition? I'm more worried about his frame vs his vision.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Wild how it’s constant concern about every damn thing when he throws over the middle of the field with no problem and seemingly has great vision. Concern about size makes sense, but the rest are smoke screens. People should just say they don’t want him instead of bringing up things that there is no evidence for and that are easily refuted.