1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I don't check the stats as often as I should but just from watching the games, u could see how much of an effort green has put in to b a better defender. It goes to show when a poster hates a player, he could make whatever statement he want and treat it like it's a fact.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Those were taken from a time when Green was performing like the worst player in the entire league and were accurate when said.

I know any criticism, no matter how valid, upsets the cult of Green.... but that doesn't make accurate statements about player performance at the time they were said suddenly inaccurate ex post facto.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I figured you might try to cherry pick something like this since basically every defensive metric in existence says exactly what I did and if you look at the opponent's offensive rating with Green on the court is 10+ points higher with Green on the court than with him on the bench....worst on the team other than garbage time players who don't have serious sample sizes.

The issue with Green is that he gets lost on plays and isn't defending his guy at all when they score, which would not show up in what you posted....in fact, it would show up as a negative against whoever attempted to come over to help pick up Green's man since they'd end up closer than him most of the time. On top of that, the Rockets always attempt to hide Green by having the better defenders guard the other team's best players. There are token possessions where Green gets stuck on a quality player....look at those and see how often and how quickly teammates try to come give him help.

It's not controversial to say that Green is not a quality defender, if you can't even accept that basic fact, there's not really a point in continuing with you. What's next, are you going to say that Josh Christopher is a competent NBA player?

4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

There will be a time, not long from now, when we'll look back fondly on the times when Jalen Green wasn't going to play any time soon.

Only a dumb@$$ can spin this off as critcism.

King1 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You are wasting your time with Bobby

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Accuses poster of this…

Yet here he is doing the same just a handful of posts prior…

Weird how that works.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The stats he provides provides more individual level of defensive stats while on/off has more confounding factors. Green plays the most minutes on a team with bad defense. He also disproportionately plays agaisnt the opposing starters often compromised of superstars.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

one thing I noticed about the GSW game was how Green was the primary defender chasing around Curry on and off ball even though KPJ is the pg. I wonder if that is SIlas testing Green with the assignment or trusting Green more in staying with quick nimble guards than KPJ.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Uff, DaDa with the racist comment. Wrong country and wrong race buddy. Keep politics out of the GARM.

You don't want to acknowledge everyone knows Green is going to be much better than KPJ, that's fine. Just don't act like you didn't voluntarily refuse to see it when you were shown it!

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wait, it isn't racist, I thought you said you lived in Qatar, it was a joke about them buying off FIFA....if you want to take it as anything else that is on you.

I think Green will be better too, but I think KPJ will be really good as well.....if you want to ask where they differ?

I think Green is a future all star and maybe MAYBE an all time great if he keeps improving.

I think KPJ is MAYBE an all star.

DD

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Nope. Not from Qatar. I don't live there. Not even an Arab or Muslim. Just happen to be Middle Eastern, but maybe that's all the same to you?

Was a really f*cked up joke if it can even be called that. Done with you, bye.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Later.

DD

#3873 DaDakota, Nov 30, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

On/off split is entirely dependent on who your replacement is, who you play with, and the quality of your competition.

It so happens that Eric Gordon is often coming on for Jalen Green, and Daishen Nix is coming on for KPJ.

James Harden did not have the best on/off split on the Rockets because of Eric Gordon as well.

But I know this is hard for you to grasp.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Good to hear that literally only affects Jalen Green...

I knew you'd have an excuse.

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't expect any explanations to be useful to you because you can't even grasp what on/off number is.

You literally thought that if KPJ was a -7, but his replacement is -14, that somehow makes KPJ a positive +7 to the team.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not citing a box score plus minus stat... but I think we've been over this before, it's over your head.

18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You guys are literally arguing with the dumbest guy on the internet.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Guess that bribery line really Qat too deep.

DaDakota likes this.
  20. i3artow i3aller