1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jeremy Pena Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I don’t think this guy has ever lacked for ass being thrown at him.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Best defensive player throughout the season. Getting a GG as a rookie isn't easy.

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You're a complete weirdo. Go away

RKREBORN likes this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You finally come up for air after servicing DeSantis after his election win?

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. King1

You're a bum and act like a teenage girl. Not doing politics here. Tag me in the D@D and if I get bored I'll give the attention your parents never did

marks0223 and RKREBORN like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes, he is a handsome dude, I would not leave my significant other around him alone for long.:eek:

Xerobull likes this.
  7. King1

Says a lot about you

RKREBORN likes this.
  8. Yordan The Great

What's a GG?

9. verse

verse Contributing Member

Gold Glove

rockbox likes this.
  10. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

this interview is pretty funny lol

warning: it's 3+ hours long

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The part about Correa in the hallway gives me more respect for both of them. Carlos will always be an Astro in my heart.

12. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

Thanks for posting this. Really in-depth interview and very good.

13. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

I cracked the hell up when he tried to rap. Lol

Jose Cuervo likes this.
  14. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

The part about Joe Espada asking for him to come to mini camp every day when he was in his 2nd year of minor league ball was very interesting.

vince likes this.
  15. vince

vince Member

Crazy how Peña wasn’t even in the top 100 prospects prior to making the MLB roster.

The interesting part was how much a disconnect there was between how the Astros saw Peña’s potential to what the national pundits thought. Astros were so high on Correa, they didn’t sweat making a truly competitive offer to Correa. The national folks thought the Astros were crazy for being what they thought was delusional on Peña, but here we are today and the Astros were right, Peña shook the National pundits bravado.

What I liked about Peña was his willingness to counter adjust after the league noticed something and pitched him to his weaknesses. And the thing going for Pena was his glove was so outstanding, that any team would be willing to tolerate his offensive growing struggles, because his glove was such a positive.

MadMax likes this.
  16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He was a top 100 prospect in baseball america, #76. Baseball prospectus was actually well ahead of the game. They've had him as a top 100 guy for 3 years, and he was all the way up at 16 this year.

MLB's official top 100 always seems to be the worst of the big 3 to me. Considering it's an in house ranking, methinks there may be some shenanigans in the ranking. It's the rankings the league "wants" the public to see.

Pena came to my personal attention after the 2019 season. With all of the covid/injury mess, Pena never really had much of a chance to show his improved power off due to missing almost 2 seasons. We heard about it, but didn't actually see it. If you weren't watching the Astros closely it was easy to miss because the improvement was behind closed doors for the most part.

#736 sealclubber1016, Dec 4, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    vince likes this.
  17. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

MLB's official top 100 seems like the one with the least actual scouting by the primary list compilers. Nothing against Callis or Mayo, but I don't think they've been actual scouts and maybe have not worked for baseball clubs. Their work seems more like a compilation of industry opinions, which ends up being pretty reactionary. I'm a big fan of the Fangraph's list. It was a little bit better when Kiley McDaniel ran it but the latest lists with Eric Longenhagen are solid. Even Keith Law goes out on a limb on his lists sometimes.

vince and Snake Diggit like this.
  18. vince

vince Member

Thanks for you reply. I had been looking at the MLB.com prospects for the past few years. And I didn’t see him or recall him ever being in the top 100.

Seems like MLB.com is not too reliable.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

FanGraphs had him in their #19 to #35 Tier. I like their lists. Usually, they have lower level prospects ranked higher than my tastes, but lasts year's list included a ton of guys who made the majors. Also, they don't really know how to handle guys that tandem start in the minors.

20. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Jalapeña ;)

vince likes this.