1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yes Jalen Green magically developed his game within the span of a month in the middle of a NBA season from a ceiling of Corey Brewer to being a top ten ppg player in NBA history for a 20 year old.

This just shows how absurd your premise is. Jalen Green coming into the league on day one did things that Corey Brewer could only dream about in his prime. So stop it.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Piss off, I never called him Corey Brewer - EVER - I said he wasn't as NBA ready....stop making **** up because you were butt hurt that someone didn't believe in your man crush right away.

Jalen Green hasn't faced near the same level of scrutiny as KPJ and they are on the SAME ****ING TEAM - and should be supported as such.

It is one thing to say....X had a bad game, but a whole nother to be b****ing because he is taking shine away from your wubby.

FFS - we need them both!

DD

EDIT - I am an idiot, didn't see that fchow was responding to someone else as they are on ignore, my humblest apologies.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is, they don't ACCURATELY describe how he's performing. The accuracy part is important.

He's by no means killing it out there, but the morons who blame him for the team's struggles are those I push back on.

It's funny, Jabari Smith is currently the worst player in the starting lineup....but he doesn't get anywhere near the heat KPJ does, why is that?

The 2 worst defensive players on the team are Smith and Green....wonder why that's not brought up more?

I push back on inaccurate narratives whenever they pop up, given that KPJ is the CF whipping boy, I tend to push back on those inaccurate narratives most frequently.

4. fchowd0311

I'm replying to Bobby who explicitly said that he hoped one day Green can be in the mold and level of Brewer.

i3artow i3aller and DaDakota like this.
  5. fchowd0311

You sincerely don't understand why that is? Are you trolling now dude?
    How about this. Figure it out and provide your own answer. Use that matter between your ears.

6. DaDakota

Well ****, I don't see his posts as he is on ignore.....my apologies then.

I didn't even know he was in this thread. (editing my post accordingly)

DD

i3artow i3aller, King1 and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, are you currently denying how absolutely terrible he was for half of last season?

He showed remarkable progression towards the end of last season, showed things he never showed at any point leading up to that....if you want to call that "magic" go right ahead....but it's not "magic" it was hard work.

8. fchowd0311

Green is a 20 year old sophomore dude. KPJ has 2 full NBA off-season training regiments under his belt. That is huge especially at the ages we are discussing as the most rapid stage of player development occurs at Green's age. It's not like it's the difference between a 28 and 30 year old player. The difference in experience between a 20 and 22 year old is significantly more.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I do, it's because of the double standard that leads to stupid inaccurate narratives. He was a high draft pick, so we have to pretend he's not struggling and dog pile on someone else. It was the same last year when Green was struggling.

Sorry kiddo, when players struggle, I say that they are struggling. If that causes the feeble minded among us to get upset, I'm willing to let them get upset about it. Doesn't effect me at all.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Right. It’s not accurate that he’s essentially been Westbrook out there chucking with awful efficiency…

The same Jabari Smith that’s a 19 year old rookie ~20 games into his career? Weird that people would direct more frustration towards the 4th year guy that’s supposed to be proving he is worth the extension we just agreed to.

You are just a part of the KPJ cult. The same type of poster you label so many others for being towards other players. You criticize others for doing exactly what you do.

11. fchowd0311

He showed remarkable progression because he was a 19 year old guard(the position you have to absorb the most knowledge) who got thrown into the fire. His progression has very little to do with him enhancing his actual abilities in the middle of a NBA season and more to do with him reading defenses better and slowing things down.

Off-season is where players add to their abilities. So Green's rapid progress is exactly something you can expect from a 19 year old guard from purely just reading defenses better

You are now pretending all you said was he played poorly. No dude. You made matter of fact projections about what player he can eventually become(Corey Brewer). You aren't satin he's like Corey Brewer at the time. You said you hoped one day he can reach the level and style of Brewer.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is you making excuses in response to someone describing what is....you have to realize that's an ineffective counter.

What's funny is that people like you accuse me of being "fans" of all kinds of random players when I dispute false narratives about them. The truth is that I don't truly care about ANY of the individual players on the team....I'm a fan of the team, not the players. We will cycle through every single one of them eventually....and I'll still be a fan of the team.

You want to criticize KPJ as being a Westbrook type.....but if you look at his on/off splits and compare them to those who are apparently beyond scrutiny, you'd see those players have a LOT more to criticize than your whipping boy.

13. fchowd0311

Maybe you never worked in the work force or had a career but you seem to not understand the value of experience.

To think the only reason people are easier on Jabari than KPJ is him being a high draft pick rather than this being his literal first 20 NBA games of his lifetime at age 19 is either trolling or incredibly stupid.

clutchdabear likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I think i adequately proved my point about simple minded people getting up in their feelings when the performance of certain players is accurately described. Thanks to all for helping out with that.

15. DaDakota

Here is what I think about the comparison between KPJ and Jalen.

Shooting - Jalen
    Passing - Even
    Dribbling - KPJ
    Defense - Neither
    Scoring - Jalen

If Jalen were Dame, then KPJ would be McCullough......not equal but both really good.

I am very happy to have them both - and if I recall I said when we drafted Green that they were the same player or close - and that we would be forced to trade one because I, like you, thought we would have a PG needed.

The Org is going a different direction and having a growth mindset allows you to change your opinion based upon new facts or variables....I am now 100% down with that Combo guard approach.

I like both of them, a lot - don't care that someone criticized a player over a year ago and I will criticize both of them going forward, but know that it is more of a desire to see them both succeed because that is good for the Rockets.

Now, don't you have a FIFA representative to go bribe or something?

;)

DD

#3855 DaDakota, Nov 30, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    DominantBig likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah....that's not even close to accuxrate. Green is still the worst defensive player on the team among those who get significant minutes. We can celebrate everything Green has done on offense while acknowledging how far he still has to come defensively to be a two way player.

17. fchowd0311

Hmm I thought he improved quite significantly on defense especially against guards. He's drill a liability on switches to big men but keeping guards in front him? He seems to massively improve in that front.

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Countless of post of u just ragging on green instead of actually pointing out his weakness and what he could improve as a young rookie.

A normal fan when they seen their player struggling they would note his weakness and what not for they are concerned.

A hater on the other hand would gleefully celebrate him doing poorly. Anyone that's says green needs time to get better is called a dumb@$$ Or a green cultists.

Here's a good one of how much u were concerned about Green.
    Spoken like a tru Rockets fan am I right?

Most of the anti green folks at least acknowledge they were wrong about green and kept it civil unlike u.

Keep calling folks stupid ain't no one gonna forget the dumb@$$ who thought green could potentially end up being Corey Brewer 2.0

#3858 DatRocketFan, Nov 30, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  19. fchowd0311

He's going to respond with something along the lines of "the Green cultists made me bitter towards him" which is even more pathetic given this dude is middle aged man and Green was 19.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I know basic math and stats are taboo for you, but this is just plain, embarrassingly wrong.

Here is a basic look at average opponent FG% difference when guarded by players on this team. This isn't a perfect stat by any means, but there are clear trends (players you expect to be good defenders, like Garuba and Gordon, are also ranked comparatively better here). You can also compare it to last season to see if the rankings to see if the data has a lot of noise.

2022-2023 season

[​IMG]
    2021-2022 season
    [​IMG]

There are naturally fluctuations based on minutes played, games players, or shots contested (such as Garrison Matthews). Most player on this list are more or less within a few percentage points of last year. However, Green has had by far the most drastic improvement this season, several times bigger than any other player. He is one of few players on this team where the players he guard consistently shoot below their FG% average.

i3artow i3aller and fchowd0311 like this.