1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Jeremy Williams

As nook mentioned, this is largely due to Contreras only playing in 110 games and having some bad luck.

2. Jeremy Williams

Vasquez, unlike Contreras, does not have powerful enough bat to play outside of the catching position on a regular basis.
    He wants to play for a team that will let him be the primary catcher.

3. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Plugging Contreras in would be like adding another Bregman to the lineup. A bit less OBP and a bit more SLG than Bregman. If they plan to use him in left field a bit, this would make sense to me, but then you really close the door on another left fielder type I believe like Brantley.
    Contreras has played less than 50 games in the outfield in his MLB career.

4. toby

toby Member

I kinda like the Contreras direction. Takes me back (a little) to the Biggio days. I realize we aren't converting him, but his flexibility appears to be right out of the Astro's playbook. Should he work out, we are stacked and can still look for a Brantley or Bellinger deal to be had. I'm also a little confused on all this CF wishing. Was I watching a different World Series?

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If signed with the Astros (for half of the $$$ Contreras will demand), Vasquez at best would see 60 games at C and 30 games at 1B.

Signing Vasquez would be a good deal for the Astros. Vasquez, not so much ... BUT ... the year after next, someone has to be C1.

6. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Chas is OK. I wouldn't get too sentimental about one great catch in a world series game. He had similar WAR to Jose Siri and Jake Meyers, for as rough as he looked, was on pace to have a similar WAR with the same number of plate appearances. Chas is not a very good defensive center fielder which I am sure is why there is the constant drum beat to get him replaced. We know how bad they want to keep Tucker out of center and Chas is worse defensively there than Tucker. I still think Meyers is the answer.

7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Meyers' collision with the wall-
    1. ruined his throwing arm.
    2. Made him timid around the wall.

Unless he can find it again, Chas is the better defender. I am rooting for the guy.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Penning in the following:
    Abreu 130 games at 1B
    Altuve 130 games at 2B
    Pena 130 games at SS
    Bregman 130 games at 3B
    Tucker 130 games in RF
    Alvarez 100 games in LF, 30 games at DH
    Maldonado 100 games at C

That leaves:
    160 games at CF
    130 games at DH
    60 games at C
    60 games at LF
    30 games each at 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, RF

You could sign Contreras and Brantley (or another good lefty OF) to take the remaining games at C, DH, and LF, making both essentially full time players. Then you settle for McCormick for 130 games in CF (he’d be the 9 hole hitter for 60 games and 8 hole hitter for the rest) and divvy up the remaining 180 games (IF, CF, RF) between Dubon and 2 other cheap players.

9. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

You are right. He owes us nothing. But damn. To take 66 million and pitch 6 innings? You would think that would influence a man’s mind a bit. We paid you. We rehabbed you. Yea you have us a year after (thought we paid 25 mil for). But for the most part that 66 mil was a waste.

everyday eddie likes this.
  10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I would prefer a left handed natural outfielder like Benetendi, Conforto, or Brantley over Contreras.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Signing Contreras opens up 2 very interesting possibilities. First it allows them to add another good hitter (meaning adding 3 good hitters instead of just 2). But also it lessens the dependence on the 12th and 13th position players, which opens the door to potentially use those spots in more interesting ways. Maybe they carry a pure base runner (somebody in the Billy Hamilton mold). Maybe they carry an aging vet who is more useful in the clubhouse than in the field (someone like Gurriel). Maybe they carry a purely defensive player (someone like Andrelton Simmons). Lots of outside the box possibilities when you don’t have to count on a roster spot playing more than 30-40 games.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Chas's fWAR pace last year was about the same as Mullins and Reynolds as well despite playing a lot of LF (the Crawford boxes hurt his ability to make plays). Defensively, he's been very good except at keeping runners from advancing. He's better defensively than Tucker except in LF in MMP. In the postseason, he was a slightly above average bat while playing great defense.

I'm doubtful Chas can keep playing as great as he has, but he's played great. If Meyers can play like he did prior to injury, he looks to be what Chas has been, an above average defensive CF with a slightly above average bat. I'd have no issue starting both Meyers and Chas if Meyers plays like he did in 2021 and Chas plays anything close to what he has been doing.

13. Nook

Nook Member

He has told the Astros he wants to start. So, that has kind of been a non starter.

14. CinematicFusion

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The talk about Vazquez seeming unhappy when the trade went down makes a lot of sense when you think about his free agency. It probably hurt him being a backup in Houston over a starter in Boston the last half of the year. A player like him should have been in line for a 3/$30M type of deal, but now might settle for a 1yr deal for less than $10M.

Nook likes this.
  16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I mean if we can resign him, great.

CinematicFusion likes this.
  17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Agreed. Contreras is a great addition if he is the starting catcher, but otherwise, not my preference.

Yordan The Great likes this.
  18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Thoughts after reading the last several posts.

1) the Astros ruined any chance of Vazquez returning last year by not playing him. He won't return because he is a FA and can choose his own team and wants to play more. With Maldy here he has better options - like St.Louis. And stop the DH/1B talk with him. He would be terribly below average there.

2) Contreras would be a huge upgrade offensively that potentially rivals the 2019 team when he catches. He is good enough hitter to absorb his bat in DH, 1B or LF. Apparently the Astros think they see a path to make him better. He has the abilities to be a very good catcher. I have heard and @Nook says he has great attitude (unlike Diaz) about becoming better. He sounds like a winner to me.

Signing him would really hurt vs CBT but if Crane is willing to go over it's not my problem. Thinking like that is a cap plays into ownership thinking not player (or fan) thinking.

3) this roster REALLY needs another left handed bat (Contreras is RH) so that would still be a hole. There are very few LH bats available. I think Brantley should be a priority as long as his shoulder is healthy enough to hit. He doesn't even need to be healthy enough to play the field which may even reduce his price on a 1yr deal.

4) I have heard that Bregman said Yuli could play SS in the MLB today. That may be hyperbole but if it has any truth to it then he can be a utility replacement for A.Diaz. Without him the team has an extreme lack of experience at all 4 back up infield positions. Unless Bregman is able to play SS in case of injury, then Dubon or Hensley would still need to make the team.

5) Chas is a great 4th OF. He is playable in CF but could definitely be improved. I still hope Leon or Meyers win the job and think either can and could have a very good season. I prefer Leon because both Chas and Meyers have below average arms and that would hurt the RF defense if anything happens to Tuck.

6) Nimmo would improve the offense similarly to Contreras but from what I have read is more of a corner OF long term. The team may have a log jam of LF options and Tucker established in RF. So he may be an expensive, too long commitment that helps 2023 but hurts the team CF progress 2024+.

7) I still hope JV returns. The money may make adding another big bat difficult if not impossible but Abreu alone improves a World Series winning lineup. I want him to win 300 games as an Astro, be considered an all time Astro great, and go into the HOF with an Astros hat on.

I count 8 of 13 position roster spots filled with holes at CF, b/u C, and all 4 b/u infield spots.

Internal options
    CF) Meyers, Dubon, and Leon.
    C) K.Lee and Y Diaz.
    Inf) Hensley, Dubon, and Dixon Machado.
    1B) Matijevic.

Outside options mentioned
    CF) Nimmo
    C) Contreras and tons of cheap veterans
    Inf) Yuli
    LF/DH) Benitendi, Brantley, Conforto

Several others have been mentioned but as one offs. Please feel free to add names if I missed them.

Observations:
    The Astros like experienced guys and as much as I like Hensley and hope he makes the team, his lack of experience and the lack of other candidates makes me think they bring back Yuli.

I think one of Brantley, Benitendi, or Conforto REALLY need to be signed unless the team trades for a playable left-handed bat.

As a fan, I want:

JV to return
    Brantley to fill left handed bat
    Yuli as b/u infielder
    Meyers or Leon to win CF job.
    b/u C filled by Lee or a signed veteran (Contreras would be a dream but cost prohibitive w/ JV back)

That leaves 1 roster spot left for a position player. Dubon is out of options so likely gets it but I would prefer Hensley. This is predicated on the idea that the team thinks Hensley, Bregman, or Yuli can back up Pena at SS. Otherwise Dubon is 26th man.

19. Yordan The Great

I see what you did there.

I think.

#2759 Yordan The Great, Nov 30, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    BHannes2BHonest and Nook like this.
  20. Cinder Guard

Cinder Guard Member

Maldonado is 36 years old, a savant at calling a game, and a horrendous hitter. Approach him about taking on a role of calling games from the dugout either as a player or coach, and sign Contreras.

Love you Yuli and Brantley, and thanks for your service but we'll pursue other options at this time.

Sign Conforto to a one or two year deal to maximize his potential payout in 2024/2025.

Win 130 games in 2023.

Wulaw Horn likes this.