1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Caserio - Next GM

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Jan 5, 2021.

?

How you feel?

1. I love

26 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. I hate

84 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. meh

69 vote(s)
    28.8%
  4. I don't know

61 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. Qan

Qan Member

I'm still unsure on his first full draft. It's still wait and see. Green has gotten worst and felt we passed on a better CB.

whag00 likes this.
  2. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Hypothetically if Sauce ends up being a 5x Pro Bowler, 3x All-Pro and Stingley ends up being a 2x Pro Bowler, 1x All-Pro, would you consider that a miss by Caserio? I wouldn't. I don't think you are necessarily looking to get the absolute best player, but a player that is a top 2-3 in that class for that position for several years. I am curious on how other people view that.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It's not a miss, but a missed opportunity.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If the Texans truly clean house, this would be a fairly attractive situation - given draft capital and cap space. The big issue would be commitment, as McNair would be searching for his 5th (?) GM and 4th (?) HC since, like, 2019, or whatever.

But if I were a head coaching candidate, I'm not sure there'll be a better opportunity, in terms of resources - unless, say, the Chargers fire Staley. I'd rather come to Houston than Denver, for sure. Arizona, too, as I'd prefer the clean slate to inheriting Kyler. I don't know Carolina or New Orleans cap situation, or draft resources - but unless both are overwhelmingly positive, I'm not sure either is an appreciably better situation.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I don't trust caserio. Man got recommended in by the easterbunny, that alone makes me wary.

Should have completely cleaned house, the stench of easterbunny lingers.

We can't go any further down, so I can't be any more disappointed if caserio ain't the one

6. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Considering the amount of talent there was in the top half of the 1st round…drafting 2 guys with sub 50 pff scores (Green is actually at 39) is disappointing.

Pitre is at 42
    Metchie is an unknown but George Pickens and Skyy Moore were still on the board
    Harris is at 29

Pierce was a hit but has struggled last 2 games.

Hopefully they get a DC that plays to Stingley’s strength and Green, Pitre and Harris are just going through growing pains. But when you see guys like Gardner, Ekwonu, Thibodeaux, Jordan Davis, Hamilton playing well you have to start questioning the front office as well.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Jordan Davis hasn’t played in a while

Kayvon has 1 sack

I think your confusing those players being on winning teams then with actual production

8. a time to chill

The only right thing to do is to fire Caserio too if Lovie gets fired...completely clean house. I'm annoyed that people are willing to give Caserio a third chance at hiring a head coach while both Culley and Lovie Smith only got 1 year. What can any coach do in one year with a roster as terrible as the Texans? I didn't want either coach, but Caserio hired them. I don't care about what he was told to do by the Cal or Easterby. At the end of the day, he's the GM and those hires go on his resume. Hiring and firing Lovie after 1 year would be especially bad because this was supposed to be a tank year anyway. He should have at least one more year at the job.

charlieaustin likes this.
  9. Major

Major Member

What exactly is involved in cleaning up a cap mess? Most NFL contracts are only 1-4 years. If you wait two years and don't sign anyone, pretty much any GM can clean up a "cap mess".

charlieaustin, whag00 and vinsensual like this.
  10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I don't care about the accolades, but getting 2 extra allpro seasons out of a CB is huge. CB contracts are maybe 5th highest per position, so getting 34 more games of all pro level play, or 51 more games of pro bowl play, for roughly the same big money, long term contract is a big advantage. It's a probable miss, not factoring the potential mishandling of Stingley for 2 seasons under Lovie which will make it a definite miss. Lovie being rubber stamped by Caserio means he has some credit in the repercussions of that miss as well.

11. raining threes

He's still eating the Cunningham/Mercilus contracts. They come off of the books after this season and before making any moves to get more cap space Caserio has the 7th most cap space in the NFL sitting at #7 with 51 mil in available cap space. They will have even more after Cooks comes off of the books after the 2023 season. BOB was a terrible GM with bad trades and lack of cap discipline.

12. raining threes

Green is playing hurt.

Agreed about Sauce, although no CB will ever look good in a Lovie defense.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The fact is, we really don't know. Saying "Caserio is too smart for that" is baseless logic. That's like a couple of years ago saying Cal wouldn't be stupid enough to hire a pastor to essentially run the team. It would've seemingly been logical to believe that at the time, but we didn't really know what kind of owner Cal would be, just like we don't fully know how competent Caserio is yet.

Regardless, let's say it was a Cal hire. Who let it get to that point where the choice was between Lovie and Josh McCown?

The two finalists for the job were Brian Flores and Josh McCown. Lovie only became a candidate after Flores sued the NFL and essentially took himself out of the running. The Texans, faced with the prospect of actually hiring McCown, panicked and scrambled to find someone qualified. KOC was already in Minnesota and we'd already told Gannon he wasn't getting the job.

Maybe Cal did pull the trigger on the Lovie hire, but don't tell me Caserio played no part in putting the Texans in a position where the only remaining candidate was McCown and they had to settle for another scapegoat coach.

Rudyc281, Major and charlieaustin like this.
  14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The McNairs don’t know how to clean house. Casserly survived Capers only to leave right after the draft, Rick Smith survived Kubiak, and Easterby survived BoB/Culley. All of that breeds finger pointing and scheming which has been a big problem for this franchise.

That being said, all signs point to Culley and Lovie being Cal’s picks. Hiring/firing HCs have never been the GMs job here.

Rudyc281 and Major like this.
  15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The last two coaching searches were absolute $hit shows just like Cal’s first pursuit of Caserio, Cal’s handling of GM duties after that, and the GM search after that.

We may never know who made the hires but it had all the makings of a Cal fumbling around and doing Cal things.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

An edge can impact the game without sacks. And one of the concerns about Stingley was durability and he too has been hurt.

I think Stingley and Green will get better and both have had moments where they have looked okay but I just wish they flashed more consistently.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

Again, literally any GM can do that by just doing nothing. Getting cap space is super-easy in the NFL if your team is devoid of talent because there are very few guaranteed contracts. You or I could have hired coaches no one wanted and just let salaries run off the books.

Commodore likes this.
  18. raining threes

Agreed, and he did cut them. However he had to eat the dead money that's going to come off of the books this off-season. This is the reason Caserio will have the 7th most cap space in the NFL this off-season. It took a couple of seasons to cleanup the mess, but you're right anybody could've done this, but not everybody would have done this. I'm just glad Caserio did it. Not that cap space for top tier FA's is going to matter this off-season.

Again, Caserio doesn't hire the HC's the McNair's do. Otherwise Gannon would be the HC of the Texans as we speak. Unless you believe Lovie was a Caserio hire? LMAO

Commodore and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. raining threes

I'm glad they didn't pick Thibodeaux because this is a much better edge class than last years edge class

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think it's impossible to evaluate Caserio FULLY pre-Watson trade. The franchise was totally crippled by the prior regime and was handcuffed by the Watson situation.

That said, if you HAD to grade him, it's impossible to give a good one. Nothing has hit yet. The drafts haven't been impressive (maybe they'll still develop!), even forgetting the head coach I'm disappointed in the staff building. Now, maybe over the next few years his grand strategic vision will prove brilliant. I don't know. I'm inclined to start the clock on him as of this year personally, but I think offering any strong defense is silly.

Rudyc281 and whag00 like this.