1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the Texans afford to fire Lovie?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 20, 2022.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If it takes continued irresponsible spending and embarrassment for wholesale changes (whatever they may be), then I'm all for it. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but Cal or someone he listens to will eventually come to some type of realization right?

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Franchise value and revenue deterioration will spark those sorts of decisions... especially if they don't expect a turnaround within the next 3-5 years, they'll be coerced to sell "high".

But I highly don't expect that to ever happen minus some sort of family turmoil or life/death event. Cal will always make money by being the Texans owner... albeit they won't be making as much money if they don't win.

And as passionate as Houston is about football... they're even more steadfast in refusing to support a losing team of any kind. The empty seats have gotten more plentiful on Kirby these last 2 years. Its at an all time franchise worst at the moment with no plans of it getting better any time soon.

red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. Major

Major Member

Didn't you tell us the last coaching search was all going according to plan too? :)

charlieaustin and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I quote-tweeted the *exact* same thought yesterday: Caserio - recommended by Easterby - surviving a house-cleaning would be monumentally stupid. The Texans need to burn their current operation to the ground and fire every single person in the building. Hire an actual general manager - with a plan - and, as Crane did in 2011 with Luhnow, turn the entire thing over to that person.

This will not happen because Cal McNair is a moron. But, it should...

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

It was until Cal got involved

Major likes this.
  6. Major

Major Member

Unfortunately for the Texans, whoever it was that hired the last 2 coaches will also be hiring the next coach.

Two Sandwiches and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Not after this…Cal is going to go crawling back to Nick saying ok Nick let’s do it your way

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No... they'll spend $2 million dollars on another consulting firm to tell them what to do... and then they'll do whatever they feel like doing.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I find the "it wasn't Caserio's hire" people fascinating... How do we know Caserio wasn't involved? And given how hands-on he seems to be, why was he OK with not being involved? These hires go on his record, regardless of his level of involvement. If Easterby and/or Cal told me to step aside so they could hire Culley, I would've left. If, maybe, I visited my happy place & decided to give it one more chance - and then had Lovie F'ing SMith forced on me, I would've for sure been out the door.

Caserio is either leaking/lying he wasn't involved or he's a patsy, has no control, and needs to be fired if he's not trusted to hire a head coach.

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I don’t blame Lovie. He’s not the coach to take this team to the next level, but this roster overall is hot garbage. This team feels far away.

body slam and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Exactly this. Any GM with integrity wouldn't have stood for the two ridiculously inept coaches being hired by the owner in two years. Any GM that hired these guys should be fired.

If there's a GM that doesn't fit into either category, well, quite frankly, I question their job duties/competency.

12. mario_v

mario_v Member

I said it all along, trading your star qb is committing franchise suicide. Texans will never recover from this.

I doubt Bryce Young will ever be half as good as Watson.

BigShasta and Ancient Moabite like this.
  13. raining threes

You dont think one of these guys would take the Texans job? I do.

Reich
    Kalfka
    LaFluer
    Lombardi

14. raining threes

This is on the McNair's and for 36 mil I bet you wouldn't say a word.

15. raining threes

That guy didn't hire the last 2 HC's.

16. raining threes

Or the McNair's hire the HC's.

17. raining threes

I think BOB is off the books.

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

19. a time to chill

I really dislike John McClain, campaigning for Lovie to be fired so that Caserio can "get his guy." Where was the same energy for O'Brien from McClain? He was writing trash articles like this one:

Why Bill O'Brien is the coach to lead the Texans to the Super Bowl
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...-is-the-coach-to-lead-the-Texans-12789007.php

I just hope this isn't Caserio's guy:
    Josh McCown hopeful to get a coaching opportunity
    https://www.click2houston.com/sports/2022/12/02/josh-mccown-hopeful-to-get-a-coaching-opportunity/

charlieaustin, Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t want McCown either.
    Just wish we would have got Daboll

Demeco, Kafka or Ben Johnson from Lions