1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade ANYONE to accelerate growth?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 20, 2022.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you are saying that because they are not learning other offensive schemes it will hurt their development?

2. dmoneybangbang

We need be on the lookout for our own "Haliburton" or "SGA" with our war chest because I don't see any of those on our team as of 11/23/22. We truly don't have any untouchable players/assets at this point. This year's pick is the most valuable as of now.

I said somewhere else, but I'd be keeping an eye on Charlotte and LaMelo. If you think the Rocket's organization is terrible....

SamFisher and Corrosion like this.
  3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

what can we possibly offer them, we have no more picks after this year. Maybe some Nets picks, but how would that make sense for Charlotte.

4. dmoneybangbang

I was pretty vague, but to expand on my thought.... Charlotte wouldn't trade LaMelo unless he wanted out. Why would he want out? Well Charlotte has struggled to build around LaMelo as their roster is pretty barren of good talent. They have lots of cap space in 2024, but also key rotation players (in terms of minutes) in Oubre and Plumlee are due for a contract in 2023.

So the Rockets should keep an eye on Charlotte in case their franchise player wants out. The Rockets have our 2022 pick, Nets picks, and our players to wheel and deal with. I'm certainly not suggesting to bet it all on LaMelo but I would trade one of Green or Jabari if need be.

Just a thought... don't necessarily think it's likely.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am saying without structure, it will definitely slow their development. For sure, and the lack of accountability while they learn is a problem especially on defense.

I contend that if we had a more structured environment it would accelerate the development process.....if Rick Adelman had this team instead of Captain Nice pants, we would be better quicker.

DD

ak99999 likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And Rick would get rid of players who didn't fit into that structure and lock guys into playing one way - he's not about working with young guys, he's about winning.

These guys need to learn everything. They need room to screw up and explore. They need to be able to keep messing up and allowed a long lesh. Not giving them the freedom is exactly how you'd stifle their development.

Corrosion, tycoonchip and larsv8 like this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What do you think SGA was doing at 21 in his second year?

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We've already dispelled this myth .... they don't iso as much as you claim.

They average 9.1 isolation possessions per game as a team. They are also 8th in points per possession off of those isolation possessions.

Teams Isolation | Stats | NBA.com

#108 Corrosion, Nov 23, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  9. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I agree with you. They're probably not the best fit together. We do need a floor general (although KPJ played much better vs the Warriors), but no one is trading for KPJ and the Rox are not trading Green.

Looking forward to the Hawks game to see if KPJ can build on his last performance and if Green can bounce back from his.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

This is perhaps one of the most absurd things I've read on this board for a long time. Other than if a contender is blowing their team up to start tanking, there is no instance where you would trade the more valuable player. The more valuable player is the better player. You keep the better player.

You've reversed course on KPJ obviously and instead of just admitting that, you're trolling. You know you keep the better player. It's a much worse look if you act like you don't know that that's true.

AlperenSengun and King1 like this.
  11. DaDakota

If you have two equally good players, and they play the same spot, generally you trade one of them for a missing piece.

DD

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

No one's falling for it. You know no one on earth would trade Green before KPJ, and you tried to pass it off as common sense. You're trolling because you'd rather throw both under the bus than admit you're backtracking on KPJ.

You're also backtracking on your last post, where you didn't say you trade them for a missing piece. You said you trade the more valuable player. So one of these things is true:

- You've been a basketball fan for decades and think we should trade the more valuable player; or,
    - You act like it's plausible aka trolling.

Just admit it. The only thing that's going on is you've given up on KPJ and don't have an exit.

AlperenSengun and Believe It! like this.
  14. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Generally though, you keep the one with more potential, not trade them and keep the worse player just because the better player would net you more in a trade...

red5rocket and Believe It! like this.
  15. DaDakota

You have to take emotion out of this when dealing with assets.......I don't believe KPJ's trade value is as good as Green's is.....but I do think they are relatively close as ceilings at SGs.....so I would trade the one that brings the most value back to the club.

I would love it if they end up being great together on the court, that is an option too......

But when you have a Drazen Petrovich, and a Clyde Drexler you trade one of them.

I think they are about even in slightly different ways.

DD

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

pffft green and kpj aren't two equally good player nor do theyhave relatively close as ceilings at SGs. There's a reason y green was drafted at number 2 and KPJ was at 30.

Stop trolling. no one in their right mind would trade green over kpj regardless of trade value. If a trade needs to b done, KPJ a$$ will get the boot.

AlperenSengun and Dobbizzle like this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No freaking way.

i3artow i3aller and Dobbizzle like this.
  18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Not surprised there is someone Doubling down on kpj over Green. And folks say sengun only fans are the wild ones with their takes.

19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I disagree entirely on them being even in all honesty. Green's already showing more flashes of stardom than KPJ and is 2 seasons behind him in experience in an NBA system. Green's first step is absolutely elite, as is his athleticism, KPJ's a much slower, craftier player but he doesn't have a single attribute that I'd call "elite" whereas Jalen's in the absolute top tier of athletes in the NBA. KPJ's got my far the more developed body being a couple of years older too, so you can't expect much more growth strength wise in comparison, Jalen's already improved massively in that respect after a single season and projects to get much stronger in the next couple of years as do most young NBA gym rats. I genuinely can't see any argument that KPJ's ceiling is anywhere close to Jalen's, and I'd imagine the majority of the league agrees with me considering their respective draft positions and the fact that you could trade one of them for other young, great players, whereas the other one you'd have to attach picks/players to in order for a team to take him off our hands even with possibly the most team friendly deal in the league (look at how Jalen's next contract plays out in comparison, you'll see there's a CLEAR difference in potential/ability.)

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  20. Rolliepollie

Rolliepollie Member

DaDakota is right. We should absolutely trade either green or kpj. And since both are playing relatively equal you trade the one that would net more in a trade that's green. They simply are both sgs and don't mesh and I don't want a small lineup of kp at the three . He won't agree to a 6th man role and I agree he should start. But as a starting sg not a pg.

This is a train wreck coming and the losing will continue until one is traded

The crap is really going to hit the fan if we have #2 in the draft henderson. I would hope we would trade green and move kp to sg and start tari at the 3 in that scenario

When I say they are equal, I don't mean ppg. Obviously green is the better pure scorer, but not by much. And kp beats him on every single category except scoring. I'd take kp and not even think twice . I don't want kp at the 3 or pg, if he would agree to a 6th man role great I would keep green. But I doubt kp would go for that even if we draft henderson so that's why I said it's a train wreck coming.

green has more trade value not because he's better but because the rest of the league is scared kp will lose it mentally. Fine with me. I don't think kp will lose it and I think the other gms, are wrong. Unfortunately I see the rockets keeping green and kp for the "family" aspect and would rather move kp to the 3 and have a 6'4 small forward if we draft henderson. I just don't think small lineups can win a championship. So that will be a failure.

/thread

#120 Rolliepollie, Nov 24, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    DaDakota likes this.