1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Buy a hell of a lot more than JD Martinez. Off the top of my head going for less than 20M would be Bell, Contreras, Abreu and Comforto who would all be clearly better going forward with the bat and bring actual defensive competence which Martinez doesn’t.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yeah, i know that’s why I didn’t mention him. If all we do is sign JV and Abreu going forward I would call that a successful off-season. My ideal scenario would be Contreras and JV in addition to the already signed Montero, but either scenario would be great. I think CF is fine with McCormick, Myers, or Leon. I also think y. Diaz is going to be the first baseman of the future. We also have MLB ready Henson. Continuing to make strategic trades and FA signings while harvesting our own prospects is the way to contend for the next decade.

3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Would prefer to just give up the extra value.

A's would likely need the extra value to be willing to trade with the Astros and give up their best 2 players who are among the only hitters the fans know.

Laureano is a prick who was bad last season and is very questionable fielding in the outfield. And he would be blocking either Meyers or Leon at a higher price.

Having these 2 extra players allows the team the chance to establish one of the young CF with less pressure.

I like the idea of young position players establishing themselves each year so the window does not close all at once.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This trade gives up way to many of our upper level minor league players. Diaz, paredes, and barber are all future mlb players with high ceilings

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I understand that.

That's the price of getting 2 young controllable, above average position players.

I like Barber a ton. I think he could end up being the next Terry Puhl. But he profiles more as a left fielder rather than CF ( IMO) and Yordan's and Chas make him less important not to mention the lefty hitting OF that are now littering the upper levels of the farm rankings.

I think Diaz can and probably will be an above average hitter in MLB in 1-2 years but don't see him as a catcher. He will be a 1B/DH which significantly reduces his value.

Paredes is good enough to be a valuable trade piece but not good enough to get out of AAA the past 2 seasons. He is blocked by a stacked bullpen.

Overall this trade can only work if the players that Oakland gets are legitimate MLB possibilities.

And the players I have chosen are good but replaceable

6. Landry's Tooth

When the rays do it its usually for money reasons.

I'm just saying you're overestimating the value of prospects. Fwar is nice but it's a made up number.

There are no absolutes but most good young players aren't on the market by teams unless getting a star...

7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

fWAR is not a made up number.

It's a score compiled from stats and algorithms.

Not made up. 100% from actual stats just the percentage of importance and which ones are included is " created" or decided.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

(To a degree, I understand we're spinning wheels here.)

Money is definitely a consideration for the Rays, but they usually get the better player in the end too. E.g. Austin Meadows for Isaac Paredes. Meadows was the much more proven player. Paredes had generated negative big league WAR to that point. Paredes generated 2.4 fWAR in 2022 for the Ray; Meadows generated -0.2 fWAR for the Tigers. It's the kind of smart move progressive front offices make.

I think the thing that set you off was me suggesting Pena would be the return for Moreno. Pena *is* more valuable than Moreno; zero argument there. There would definitely have to be stuff added to the Blue Jays side to make that deal viable. I totally get you personally would never make that deal, but there is a world where that trade happens. If Toronto throws in their other top 100 prospect too, i consider it.

#2209 xcrunner51, Nov 24, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think Diaz is our starting 1b sooner rather than later and has 30+ hr potential. He can also serve as 3rd catcher. We had tremendous luck with no serious injuries to our bullpen. That won’t last forever and Paredes would be a great option to have. You keep guys like Barber over the likes of McCormick. Not saying any of them are untcouchable, but it sure seems like you’re gutting the minor league to get a couple of slightly above average players. Ok to disagree. These kind of deals are always chancy for both teams. Like to hear Snake Digit’s take on this trade.

Snake Diggit and IdStrosfan like this.
  11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Very reasonable response.

And I don't disagree with anything you are saying.

However prospects are only prospects until they prove themselves.

Barber and Diaz could be stars or they could be AAAA players for a few years and disappear.

The 3 A's players are already past that.

Trades are always hard and you can't get something for nothing

12. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

So should we expect everything to pick up once the winter meetings come around?

IBTL and raining threes like this.
  13. Jeremy Williams

I do not like the Astros return in that scenario.

raining threes likes this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

We can always hope.

I wouldn't look for any of the young guys getting extended this offseason, unless it's after 2023 salary is set and extension starts in 2024 (like Bregman's)

Payroll will already be tight vs the CBT once any FA are brought in

Mlbtraderumors.com has Tucker's projection at $5.6M. Alvarez would be similar but counts over $19M due to the extension.

Don't get metering.- I love the Yordan extension and would not wish anything different.

But payroll can only absorb so many at a time. An extension for Tucker, Framber, etc. That would add $10M+ to the 2023 payroll would hurt opportunities to improve the team.

15. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I am just not on the bandwagon of Alvarez everyday in left field. I keep thinking of his size and visions of Yao come to mind of stress fractures and what not due to his size. I just wonder if his size and playing every day will cause health issues physically due to how much weight and strain there will be on knees ankles and so on. Part time split between the field and DH is about as much as I want to see him in the field.

conquistador#11 and Radricky like this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

He's not as big as Judge.

Does he have those issues?

I agree with you somewhat.

Alvarez is a very good outfielder. He improves the team when he is out there.

He also hits better when he is in the field.

I think 2/3 with no more than 4 in a row sounds good

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3927384/2022/11/25/mlb-trade-free-agent-matches-al/

Houston Astros

Needs: Hire a general manager, first base, catcher, lineup length, possibly center field

Free-agent targets: Justin Verlander, RHP; José Abreu, 1B; Brandon Nimmo, CF; Cody Bellinger, 1B/CF; Josh Bell, 1B/DH; Willson Contreras, C/DH; Dominic Smith, 1B; Christian Vázquez, C; Tucker Barnhart, C

Trade targets: Christian Walker, 1B; Bryan Reynolds, CF; Cedric Mullins, CF

The Astros are favored to repeat as World Series champions in 2023, and there isn’t much heavy lifting needed with their roster this offseason outside of trying to retain their ace, Justin Verlander, finding an upgrade at first base, adding another catcher behind Martín Maldonado, and perhaps upgrading center field. José Abreu would be a perfect fit for them at first base and DH. I also like the idea of Cody Bellinger because I think manager Dusty Baker could get him back close to his 2019 MVP form, and Bellinger’s above-average defense at first base and in center field aligns with the Astros’ needs. Brandon Nimmo would be another nice fit in center field, but it’s more likely they stick with Chas McCormick and spend their money on Verlander and a first baseman. Since they parted ways with James Click, the Astros have operated without a GM and owner Jim Crane has made all of the final baseball operations decisions, but they also need to hire someone for the role.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Masataja Yoshida

I know Astros don't usually get players from Japan but he really looks like a great fit.

Lefty bat
    Corner OF
    Nearly twice as many walks as Ks
    .326 avg. .957 OPS in over 750 career games.
    29 years old.

I know production will be cut significantly in MLB but with that plate discipline he should still be very good.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

^^^^
    https://theathletic.com/3928988/2022/11/23/masataka-yoshida-free-agent-japan/

xcrunner51 likes this.
  20. Landry's Tooth

Yeah, uh, so the algorithm just materialized and wasn't made up by a person?