1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Spotrac is great for retrospective data but their projections are very hit and miss.

I'm 100% certain that Jose Abreu will have a higher AAV than Mancini yet Spotrac thinks Mancini's market value is $18.1 AAV and Abreu's is $12.7m.

Spotrac thinks Mancini's market value is 5/$90m. Hard to argue that when the Astros turned down their side of a $10m mutual option.

everyday eddie and Wulaw Horn like this.
  2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’m the biggest Forest Whitley homer around… he didn’t look great after TJ. He had a couple really promising outings and a lot of **** outings.

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You are way too low on Abreu. I would flip out and break **** if we signed Jd Martinez for 2/30. That would be the worst contract of the entire off-season.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  4. Yordan The Great

THAT is the guy you would lose your shyt over? A career .288 hitting slugger? The one who had a 99 RBI season just a year ago?

You would hurl violently if you heard he's our new LF/DH?

everyday eddie likes this.
  5. HTown2017Champs

Martinez is not the same as he was a few years ago but he's still consistently hitting the ball hard and putting up good xBA, xSLG and xWOBA. I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. Only concern is he may be unplayable in the OF, but I don't mind giving Alvarez more time in LF.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes. Brantley is a better hitter, defender, isn't an *******, and would come cheaper.

7. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Think I'd take a chance on Brantley off the bench with Benintendi in LF. And Contreras at C.

8. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Question?
    Could we offer Korey Lee for Ian Happ of the Cubs.
    Sign Contreras.

And still be a decent couple signings after that?

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

A 36 year old Brantley coming off shoulder surgery is not the same player you had at the beginning of last year. There is a real question whether he can make it back at all, much less at last year's performance level. I would love it IF he can come back, but expecting it is close to my "trading for Trout and Ohtani fantasy."

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I just suggested a bat at DH since that position is usually the cheapest way to add hitting. Alvarez is a descent LFer with a good arm who is trending better defensively. He can still spell the DH and McCormick could slide over to LF when Meyers plays CF when you want to give Alvarez rest. Alvarez does not appear to have any more issues with his knees, so there is no reason to relegate him to DH. He has surprising speed for coverage for a big man. I am not a betting man, but I suspect he will continue to improve in LF if given the opportunity.

Anyway, it is just another option.

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

15 AAV doesn't buy much on the FA market these days.

12. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

I’m not trying to be secretive, believe me if there was Stros information I wouldn’t not be able to say something : ) but I don’t want to be that guy. He interviewed for the Mets GM position, although he self admittedly, isn’t the “best at managing people,” he knows his strengths and is happy with his position knowing he could always find an assistant GM or head of player development role. He laughed when I thanked him for building the stros dynasty. Crazy knowledgeable dude, súper down to earth.

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would be okay with Martinez on a 1yr deal w/ a team or vesting option but it would not be my choice.

The biggest issue for me is that he does not play any defense and hits right handed which means

1) to get value he needs to be a much better than average hitter.

2) the team exposes Yordan to wear and tear in LF more often than ideal.

3) It makes the lineup even more RH dominant.

Conforto probably costs the same. He is left handed, 5 years younger, and has the ability to play the OF occassionally even if he isn't great there.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Totally new off the wall idea.

Oakland needs to keep payroll as low as possible, has 2 cheaper replacements for Murphy, and has very little MLB depth to fill out the 40 man/ 26 man rosters.

They have always preferred high floor MLB ready or close to ready players instead of high ceiling higher risk and lower level guys.

1) Sign JV - it may take 2 yrs $80M + a vesting option for 3rd yr. Get it done.

2) make a blockbuster deal with Oakland.

Luis Garcia ( could actually be their #1 and 4 yrs control)
    Enoli Paredes ( expendable w/ Montero back)
    Yainer Diaz
    J.J. Matijevic
    Seth Martinez
    Colin Barber
    Cristian Gonzalez

For
    Sean Murphy
    Seth Brown
    A.J. Puk

Astros solve catcher, LH bat, 1B , and LH reliever

Maldy plays out 2023 as primary starter teaching Murphy the "Astros way". Murphy starts 40% and PH/finishes another 15-20%

If Korey Lee shows his AAA finish was a true step then he can make roster allowing Murphy to DH some too.

Juggling for 1 season isn't a biggie and injuries always happen

No Worries likes this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah... but consider the source. This is from the same article...

Ultimately, they are looking to sign a left-һапded midfielder,

In terms of current looks, the Astros have Kyle Tucker, Chas McCormick, Jake Meyers, and Yordan Alvarez to suppress things.

My 9 year old granddaughter could write better.

mikol13, Snake Diggit and Bregatron like this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If they just sign verlander and Abreu it would be successful.

mikol13, rockbox and No Worries like this.
  17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Include Laureano in the return package and I'm with you. Evens up value and adds a CF backup option.

Trade Value
    Brown 8.8
    Laureano 6.6
    Murphy 51.3
    Puk 0.0

Barber 3.9
    Diaz 14.4
    Garcia 45.6
    Gonzales 1.3
    Martinez 1.9
    Matijevic 1.4
    Paredes 0.0

#2197 Marshall Bryant, Nov 24, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

But they have already signed Montero, so it would be JV, Montero and J Abreu.

19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

That is something I question from the Astros perspective. I expected them to exercise their option and Trey to decline his. It leaves us in the same place, but it doesn't make sense unless there is an undisclosed injury.

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Martinez is u playable in the OF and he’s washed. If we gave him 15M a year instead of Comtreras or Abreu 18M a year yeah- I’d be highly pissed.

rockbox likes this.