1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not at all, but he is the QB. And the claim was he can carry teams to wins with a few pieces. He has more than a few pieces and didn’t carry them.
    All I’m saying is there is literally no way to know if he’s the type to carry a team in the NFL.
    There are literally only a handful of those QBs in the league. To think Young is that guy right out the gate is foolish.

gucci888 likes this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

We need a 2024 draft thread! Im going to start praying we can find a way to add local kid Harold Perkins Jr to this team. Dude is a STUD freshman linebacker for LSU. Really impressive as I watch some of his tape.

3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I have to disagree. Look at NYG, NYJ, NE, TEN, WAS, and SEA all have winning records without elite QBs. What do they have in common, really good coaching staffs, great to solid defenses and a running game.

Look at the Top 25 QBs this year from virtually any key stat. How many of them were #1 overall picks? The names you'll see are Burrow, Goff, Murray, Lawrence and maybe Stafford. The point is 20% of that group were #1 overall, 80% were not. Of that 25, 15 were 1st rd picks or 60% and 13 of those 15 were selected in the Top 10 or 87%. Here's search I used for these numbers and my memory on their selections... https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/passing/2022/REG/all/passingyards/DESC

As I said in another thread, NFL Draft selection success is roughly 52% across the board (number from consultant that I knew with Browns/Colts).

I remember all of the excitement in 2012 about Luck and Griffin III who went #1 and #2. Both QBs careers have been cut short because of injuries. WAS spent a King's ransom to move up for RG3 and looked really smart after his rookie debut. A decade later QBs taken in Rds 3 and 4 are still contributing and two of them are Super Bowl winners (R. Wilson, Nick Foles and Cousins).

I share all of this because I'm not convinced you have to take a QB #1 overall. For every Burrow, there is a Goff. For every Ryan, there is a Marriota.

I love a lot about Bryce Young and his game, but I'm not convinced he should go #1 overall. I'm also not convinced he'll be a slam dunk or someone I'd want the Texans to bet the franchise's future on. We need to increase the overall talent on the team and decide on a HC/Staff to build on for the future. If that new staff see BY as their QB, and want to select him #1 overall then so be it, I just wouldn't count on that being the case when considering all of the variables involved.

4. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

You don't have to take any position at any spot. You technically have a chance to get a great player anywhere in the draft, but obviously your chances are higher in the first round. QB in particular is just much harder to evaluate and project success from college to the NFL. By all accounts Kyler Murray is not a student of the game in the way he should be to be highly successful. Was there any way they could have known that before he was selected or did, he stop preparing when he got the money? How do you truly know how someone will adjust to so many different things?

houston19519 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I hope we take a look at Jaylin Hyatt as well. He's not being talked about much but he has great numbers with Hendon Hooker as his QB. Interesting to see how he does with him out but he has nice size - 6'0 190 LBS - and runs a 4.29. To put that into prospective, that's the exact height, weight, speed of Tyreek Hill.

6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

These are the kinds of questions--heart, will, initiative, drive, etc., that teams don't delve into enough. NBA teams have been leaning more forward in this area that the NFL. With that said, the short answer is you may not be able to assess these traits/characteristics to a 100% accuracy, but you can see windows into the individual, how they've handled different situations in the past, better understand their character, etc. This info can be factored into the prospect's overall evaluation and used to help determine if their overall value is worth the position of the selection they're being considered for.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

This…and that is why the Texans should take Anderson first…and then if Bryce starts to fall which I think ( because of his size ) he will..we can trade up.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Been watching, and liking Hyatt. For some reason I thought he was like 6'4". Not sure why, but 6'0" seems to be correct.

Another name that I really like that isn't talked about much, and will probably be a later round WR (may go undrafted): Jake Bobo at UCLA. Has great size at 6'5" 215. Should run around a 4.65. has had a good amount of college production. Started at Duke and then transferred to UCLA. Downside? He'll be 25 by the start of his rookie year.

I think he's worth a 7th round pick.

stevel and raining threes like this.
  9. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

CJ Stroud #1
    and the TE from Notre Dame with the second Texans pick early in the 1st rd.

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Michael Mayer

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

And of all the teams you mentioned above, NYG, NYJ, TENN, WAS, NE and SEA. None are going to the Super Bowl until they get a QB.

houston19519 and Damion Laverne like this.
  12. raining threes

Definitely no to Stroud.

Young- Maybe

13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Tennessee made it to the AFCC. Something we’ve never done

14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Lol, ok Nostradamus. Three of them have young 1st Rd QBs and TEN was in the AFC Championship game in 2020.

Like any fan I would love to have a stud QB on our team, but my point is that we don't have to reach for a QB this year if we don't see the guy we want. We have plenty of other holes that can be filled with talent given the picks we're gonna have.

15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

To add: Past two champions traded for their QB.

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

A no brainer

18. Qan

Qan Member

Far from a no brainer.

raining threes likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3923728/2022/11/25/nfl-draft-2023-scenarios-texans-qbs/

Scenario 1: Houston trades out of No. 1

No other team has as much to work with in this draft as Houston. In fact, there’s really not even a close second. The Texas’ own first-rounder is currently slotted No. 1. They also have Cleveland’s first, which sits No. 7, and five of the team’s 12(!) draft picks are presently slotted to be within the top 70.

For context: Only one other team (Seattle) has four picks in the top 60. Houston has plenty of needs, of course, but it has the ability to address (checks notes) basically all of them in this draft, if it wants. For GM Nick Caserio, that could be done by staying put and drafting the board or by maxing out value to make the biggest possible swing.

While Houston needs a quarterback. I’m not sure we can call the Texans QB-desperate just yet. They might be closer than they were a few weeks ago, now that Davis Mills has been benched, but the 24-year-old (or another bridge) might be able to hold down the fort for a young squad. As always, it will come down to how Houston feels about this year’s QB draft class.

If a team in this draft wants its pick of quarterback (most likely, Alabama’s Bryce Young or Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud … but we’ll see), it’s conceivable Houston could put No. 1 on the table. A rough guess at how something like that could look, with a few different trade partners:

1. Houston trades No. 1 to Carolina for Nos. 2 and 35, and a 2024 third.
    Panthers picks:
    1. Bryce Young, QB, Alabama
    52. Rashee Rice, WR, SMU
    84. Tommy Eichenberg, LB, Ohio State

Texans picks:
    2. C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State
    7. Myles Murphy, Edge, Clemson
    33. O’Cyrus Torrence, OL, Florida
    35. Josh Downs, WR, North Carolina
    65. A.T. Perry, WR, Wake Forest
    69. Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah

The Panthers are in an interesting spot right now. GM Scott Fitterer has Steve Wilks in place as interim coach, but everything about where this franchise is headed — especially on offense — is still TBD. No matter what scheme Carolina runs, though, it will need a consistent quarterback worth investing in, and that’s just not something the Panthers have.

Carolina is in a good spot right now, draft capital-wise, after picking up San Francisco’s second-, third- and fourth-round picks (plus a 2024 fifth rounder) for Christian McCaffrey. If the Panthers wind up No. 2, as we currently project they will, they’d likely only entertain this trade if they deem just one of the QB prospects to be draftable this high. Otherwise, the Panthers are still in position to hold and come out with not only a future quarterback but also some help for him.

The odds of something like this happening feel long, but who knows?

2. Houston trades No. 1 to Las Vegas for Nos. 4, No. 41 and No. 109, and a 2024 second.
    Raiders picks:
    72. Jaelyn Duncan, OL, Maryland

Texans picks:
    4. Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia
    7. Jordan Addison, WR, USC
    33. Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia
    41. Devon Achane, RB, Texas A&M
    65. Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee
    69. DeMarvion Overshown, LB, Texas

I hated this for Vegas before I even finished it. I’m not totally convinced the Raiders need to go all-in on a quarterback for 2023 with what should be a pretty valuable first-round pick. However, Josh McDaniels didn’t draft Derek Carr, and Carr is hardly an untouchable talent.

The Raiders have a lot of draft capital to work with right now: 10 total picks, including three currently slotted in the top 75. It would make a lot more sense for Vegas to stand where it’s at, use this draft to rebuild the offensive and defensive fronts and worry about QB later. But I’m not Mark Davis.

Also, a word on Houston’s biggest needs beyond quarterback. The Texans still have a lot of work to do at tight end and wide receiver, need more help on the defensive line and probably could use another corner (2022 first-round pick Derek Stingley Jr., looks legit). Trading down would allow Houston to add more to the bucket for next year, which would put them in the Drake Maye-Caleb Williams sweepstakes, and still give Caserio enough capital to move back up later in 2022 for pretty much whatever he wants.

Like, perhaps …

3. Houston trades No. 1 to Indianapolis for Nos. 14, 46 and 81, and a 2024 first; Houston then trades Nos. 33 and 46 to Philadelphia for No. 10.

Colts picks:

Texans picks:
    7. Myles Murphy, Edge, Clemson
    10. Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame
    14. Will Levis, QB, Kentucky
    65. Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College
    69. Calijah Kancey, DT, Pitt
    81. Cedric Tillman, WR, Tennessee

We’re not necessarily here to talk about what the Colts might do in the draft. Jim Irsay has a lot of other stuff going on right now. Still, the Colts obviously need a quarterback, and while this scenario doesn’t feel likely right this second, that QB-need was enough for me to give it a whirl. For Houston, you could put this concept — trading down, then trading back up — to any of these scenarios, and you’d get similar results.

Here, Houston is able to solve its TE problem with what could be a generational talent in Notre Dame’s Michael Mayer (who could flirt with the top 10). It also secures a quarterback for the future and room to pick up two receivers before the end of Round 3.

4. Houston trades No. 1 to Detroit for Nos. 6, 44 and 62, and a 2024 second.

Lions picks:
    14. Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson
    77. Tucker Kraft, TE, South Dakota State

Texans picks:
    6. Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas
    7. Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame
    33. BJ Ojulari, Edge, LSU
    44. Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee
    62. Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan
    65. Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois
    69. Parker Washington, WR, Penn State

This seems like the most likely of any option here, although all trail Houston staying put at No. 1. The only other team that with enough capital for a move like this is Seattle. Thanks to Geno Smith, the Seahawks don’t feel as desperate for a QB as the Lions do (or probably should).

Detroit general manager Brad Holmes didn’t take a quarterback in 2021 or 2022. The No. 6 pick that we’re using in this hypothetical is actually the Rams’ spot, which Detroit acquired in the Matthew Stafford trade. The Lions also have their own 2023 first (slotted in the teens right now), so this is probably the time to make a move if you’re going to do it.

Detroit’s defense is maturing, behind young pieces like Aidan Hutchinson, Malcolm Rodriguez, Kerby Joseph and Jeff Okudah. The offensive line is one of the best groups in the NFL. We haven’t even see Jameson Williams yet, and he’ll be a factor.

The Lions have a team ready for a playmaking quarterback. Jared Goff really isn’t that guy.

rfrocket, Shark44 and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Odd that in the last scenario he has the Texans taking a running back at #6.