1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. sefril

sefril Member

Eh, i thought i saw him when Cavs win against Heat a couple of days ago.. on garbage time but he plays nonetheless..

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

he was with the charge last night and got a DNP. but he plays much more with the charge than in the nba

regardless he's not who the OP meant when i quoted the post

3. sefril

sefril Member

I see..
    well after i checked, Isaiah already played 3 games for Cavs.. so he’s a rookie named Mobley.. lol

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Honestly not sure why you have to get so mad about this with the whole don rickles routine?

Its a simple fact according to

1 watching the Rockets

2 the numbers

3 lord and master HRH Samuel Vecenie that

the primary problem with Jabari Smith jr is not lack of good shooting, but basically league- leading, bulk squandering of such opportunities.

That's just the way it is.

apollo33 and larsv8 like this.
  6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Can’t speak to the data. Eyeballs indicate he has rushed shots, forces shots and is just in his own head on offense. I want him to keep shooting.

I have seen a good impact and improvement in regards to rebounding and D. He looks instinctual as a weak side shot blocker. 15 lbs of muscle will do him well.

amaru, SamFisher, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he is the older brother, isn't he?

Over 21 the least.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think this was the much anticipated 2nd practice of the year that Silas scheduled.

Sadly everyone else had a tiny niggle and wasn't there

D-rock and J.R. like this.
  10. SamFisher

I'd rather he get quicker than bigger, Vecenie also drags his slow release going back to college :

I think it went a bit underrated throughout the pre-draft process that it takes Smith a fairly large amount of time to load into his jump shot. And when you move from college to the NBA, those windows close even more quickly, and the increase in length leads to even harder, more contested shots. This is why being able to shoot directly off the hop is so important in the NBA. You need to be able to load into your shot quickly​

Honestly shouldn't that issue have been scouted by draft evaluators during the "pre draft process" , draft evaluators like..... Sam Vecenie???

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Stockton wasn’t very good in his rookie year my friend.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I told you in the past Jabari would have been locked up on the bench.

I know it is not only the Rockets but the soft culture around the league of today and sponsors who want top 3 picks to start no matter what and the organizations mostly follow suit.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I watched quite a bit of his college shots. I don't agree that he has slow release. A lot of slow release shots were wide open shots that didn't need quick release. He hit a lot of shots that were tight and he got them off alright.

He has a smoother pull up than C&S. He does have the tendency when he catch the ball standing still, he needs time to gather and jump. What would make it a smoother and quicker shot was catching and rising in one motion.

YOLO, apollo33 and SamFisher like this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You're the one mad, Sam. I'm just slightly annoyed. I told you nicely we can agree to disagree multiple times. You have @ ted me ever since like a weirdo on the side of the street begging for nickels at an intersection.

Another homeless take from a vagabond poster. Don't you have a soup kitchen to raid? I hope they have tuna for you this time.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

yeah i think his release is actually quick, what's slow is the path he takes from gathering, dipping and getting to the shooting pocket.

Once the ball is in the shooting pocket, it's a quick flick. I noticed earlier on that his shot tend to be really flat when rushed, it's like he doesn't have time to generate enough upwards momentum, and he's shooting the ball with his wrist only.

Easy likes this.
  16. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

This is great to see. Luckily it seems Jabari is well aware he’s not hitting his shots and doesn’t need people to make excuses for him.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol hes fully aware of what's going on

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

is it me or is he intentionally shooting a higher arc on those 3's

19. SamFisher

"Stop @ ing me u homeless* is a real good burn. Real good!

The housing affordability crisis is actually a real thing.

Also the preferred term is " unhoused"

Anyway u r a tramp who the rides the rails, u hobo! Rent free in your head because i own it in fee simple. Am i doing this right?

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Are you talking for Jabari here. I think you are making up that Jabari does not feel comfortable taking open jump shots. As a shooter, if you are not comfortable taking open catch and shoot jump shots, are you a shooter at all?

Also Jabari is not nearly as agile and quick as Klay, who's been running around screens and hitting 3's for a decade at a high percentage. I did not hear Curry say once that Klay would not take wide open catch and shoot 3's because he doesn't feel comfortable taking them.

If Jabari can navigate screens as well as Klay and Curry, he would be doing it, but he's 6'11 and quite slow footed on offense. Maybe they can get some Pick and Pop situations going to help him along, but I have not seen an ink of evidence that Jabari would be more comfortable shooting on the move in the NBA.

Easy likes this.