1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

@DreamShook
    Your main man Sam Vecenie has been your life raft here, prior to watching the Rockets tape

And it looks like your boy Sam Veceni has now watched the tape looking good for you...

I went into watching all of Smith’s tape expecting to think that situational factors are holding him back. He’s been a strong movement shooter throughout his career and has only taken four shots off screens this season, something that theoretically would be an indictment of Stephen Silas and a coaching staff that is running extremely rudimentary offensive concepts. I do think Kevin Porter Jr. and Jalen Green often miss him being open when they’re driving to the rim. I don’t think either of these factors are working to help Smith all that much or put him in an awesome situation

At the end of the day, though, they’re not the main issue. Smith is missing open looks. You could run him off a million screens, and Porter could hit him on every single kickout opportunity. It just doesn’t make a difference if Smith is only going to make his shots when he has at least 4 feet of separation from his defender at a 32 percent clip, as per the NBA site.
    Oh .... So close, just around the rim and out. In the end he goes back to stats.nba.com to the open/wide open shooting splits. That's just mean!

@DreamShook

#3521 SamFisher, Nov 23, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Young Harden was Ginobili in his first 3 years.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Bari has a good game but now we have to wait until Saturday to see him play again. very cruel.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Sam you have to be one of the dumbest posters on this app.

Your dumbass did all this bolding and hyperlinking to point out Silas doesn't put anyone on this team in a position to succeed (including KPJ) and thought you were owning somebody? You absolute doofus. we know that. There is a reason everyone just ignores you like you're a homeless person on Harwin.

Yes, Jabari needs to hit his open shots, but like everyone keeps saying, run a damn play for him so he feels comfortable. According to your article, Bari has gotten 4 shots in movement this whole season. That's the 3rd pick being treated like your current address, garbage.

Usually I just ignore your buffoonery, but I have given your homeless takes my 2 cents. Maybe you can get half a sandwich and a tarp.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

pwned lol

I feel sorry for @SamFisher

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  6. SamFisher

@DreamShook
    Your main man Sam Vecenie has been your life raft here, prior to watching the Rockets tape

And it looks like your boy Sam Veceni has now watched the tape looking good for you...

I went into watching all of Smith’s tape expecting to think that situational factors are holding him back. He’s been a strong movement shooter throughout his career and has only taken four shots off screens this season, something that theoretically would be an indictment of Stephen Silas and a coaching staff that is running extremely rudimentary offensive concepts. I do think Kevin Porter Jr. and Jalen Green often miss him being open when they’re driving to the rim. I don’t think either of these factors are working to help Smith all that much or put him in an awesome situation

At the end of the day, though, they’re not the main issue. Smith is missing open looks. You could run him off a million screens, and Porter could hit him on every single kickout opportunity. It just doesn’t make a difference if Smith is only going to make his shots when he has at least 4 feet of separation from his defender at a 32 percent clip, as per the NBA site.
    Oh .... So close, just around the rim and out. In the end he goes back to stats.nba.com to the open/wide open shooting splits. That's just mean!

@DreamShook emphasis added

a time to chill and larsv8 like this.
  7. SamFisher

8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Everyone needs to calm down. Many Great even Hall of Fame players have struggled their rookie seasons. Here’s a few:

PG- John Stockton - 5.6pts 5.1 asts
    PG- Gary Payton- 7.2 pts 6.4 asts 3.0 rebs
    C- Kevin Mchale - 10.0pts 4.4 rebs 0.7 asts
    F/C- Shawn Kemp- 6.5 pts 4.5 rebs 0.9 blks
    WF- Scottie Pippen- 7.9pts 3.8 rebs 2.1 asts

Others:
    Manu Ginobli - 7.6 pts 2.3rebs 2.0asts
    Tony Parker- 9.2 pts 4.3asts .419fg% .323 -3pt%
    Joe Dumars- 9.4 pts 1.5 rebs 4.8 asts
    Rajon Rondo - 6.4 pts 3.7 rebs 3.8asts

These young kids need time and we all forget that sometimes as fans. We just have to be patient.

Shark44, Roomba, Believe It! and 6 others like this.
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I am unsure why he needs a play ran for him to feel comfortable. He's already getting a ton of open looks when he doesn't even need to move. It's like the easiest shot possible in basketball to catch and shoot open 3's.

Doesn't make it harder for him to have him shoot on the move like Klay and Curry.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is really not comparable if Stockton got 18 minutes his first season and only started 5 games opposed to Jabari's 30 ish mpg and the green light to shoot a decent numbers of shots.

The normal thing in the past was to bench rookies, high draft picks.

You do not have to put pressure on a young kid or put false delusions in his head that his spot is untouchable and his minutes secured.

Intern competition is normal, can't pamper them like Harden. No wonder.

Giving them too much leeway is dangerous.

Minutes should be earned and not giftwrapped.

I don't understand how a franchise can be so soft handling players.....

#3530 daywalker02, Nov 23, 2022
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Pick and pop is probably the best medicine for Jabari.

D-rock likes this.
  12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Hitting shots is the best medicine for Bari.

Not sure why we have to make excuses for him.

Just hit shots.....

If we changed absolutely nothing, and he was hitting contested and uncontested looks at the rate he did in college, everyone would be singing his praises.

13. a time to chill

Yep, IMO it's the same as last year when Jalen was going through a slump. Can't really blame anyone for what Jabari going through right now. Just hope that he improves as the season goes on.

#3533 a time to chill, Nov 23, 2022
    D-rock likes this.
  14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

That doesn't mean they were good passes. See Westbrook, who would pass to someone in a bad position once he realized he couldn't get a shot off.

With that being said, Bari is missing too many wide open looks to knock anyone for not giving him the ball.

15. SamFisher

Yep, from the same column:

Jalen Green went through a prolonged slump to start last season in Houston and eventually broke out of it. My bet is Smith eventually breaks out of his slump.
    I hope he's right because like I said - and like he wrote - his primary value proposition is as a stretch big who defends - that's it, that's why he was drafted.

My truck with @DreamShook is that he and others have constantly offered entirely fictional reasons for Smith's poor start including:

• Nobody passes to him (false)
    • He never shoots (false)
    • He only gets set up for bad shots (false)
    • Hes buried in the corner and doesn't get preferred top of the key /above break 3s (false)

The inverse of All of these things is true, which makes his poor start disappointing.

I mean Ryan Hollins starts reciting inspirational lines from "Hoosiers" when he gets the ball now - that's bad! Very very bad!

#3535 SamFisher, Nov 23, 2022
    larsv8 likes this.
  16. SamFisher

They're good - or at least, not bad -passes. There's nothing to indicate otherwise.

Smith has very few late in the shot clock attempts, has almost no shot clock violations, leads the team in open FGA, is assisted on nearly all his converted FGs.

Martin Jr has a similar breakdown - the difference is he makes his shots and is not a disaster at the rim finishing.

The other thing though is just... the eye test! Like you said he's missing too much and you don't need stats to know that.

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Still time for some of folks who trash Jabari to not get too far in so to maintain some cred.

JayGoogle, D-rock and DreamShook like this.
  18. sefril

sefril Member

Yes, there is one.. Isaiah, the older brother of Evan.. lol

D-rock likes this.
  19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

That's not how Basketball works. Just because you're open doesn't mean it's a shot you feel comfortable taking. there are so many possessions in a game, I dont see why you dont run a couple plays for Bari where he feels comfortable to keep him engaged.

That article Homeless @SamFisher posted said how well Bari shoots on the move. why wouldn't Silas put that in his offense. Orlando upended their whole offense so Paolo could be the ball handler, but Bari cant get a couple plays called for him as your 3rd pick? KPJ turns the ball over more times than Bari gets the ball off screens.

Curry was saying on JJ's podcast he made it a point to get Klay going in the game he scored 40 on the Rockets. Curry was forcing the ball to Clay on the move where he was comfortable. Then The hoop became huge for Klay

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

who plays for the cleveland charge not cavs. Well is on the roster. Can't really say play because he gets no PT there either