1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now it gets interesting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Before the warriors game I would've agreed, but he looked much more comfortable out there. If he continues progressing great. If he goes back to looking lost out there then....

Did wonders for Green last year.

Dobbizzle and theDude like this.
  2. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Haven't you been saying they do not fit well together?

3. Risingred

Risingred Member

Easy. Just bench Sengun like the way Silas benched Christopher. I'm tired of seeing on one end people saying Sengun is the best player, on the other hand people magnifying every mistake he's making. If he's not playing, both Silas and some fans here will have no scapegoat (or maybe they will find another one). Both last and this year, the bench played so much better than the starting lineup and the ball moved so much more. The bench didn't play the Silas system and that's why they are good. It's not a coincidence. It has nothing to do with Sengun or Bruno or Garuba. Let's get the fact straight, Bruno hasn't helped us to win a game this year. Last game Sengun only took 3 shots and his +/- is 0, so basically under Silas's system the center is the least important moving part. We kept changing the least important moving parts and left the other more important positions untouched. What if we move KMJ and Tari to the starting lineup? What if we gave Tyty and Christopher some minutes to burn? Silas just pretended center is the problem and other pieces are fine. Really? That's nothing interesting about this team if we kept Silas.

cryout75, Futron and Ankara1923 like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fernando only played 18 mpg before his injury, I would keep that or reduce it to 15.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Bruno seems to be the odd man out. i think he should be used selectively for certain match ups.

I do really like the second unit of Garuba, Tari and KJ, i hope their minutes don't get reduced when Bruno comes back

Corrosion and Futron like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Playing Bruno may look better in the short run, which the coaching staff love to see. But this is the year you want to play the young guys as much as you can to see what they can do against NBA competition. They need to make some personnel decisions at the end of the season. I actually like Bruno. but big men like him can easily be replaced.

Corrosion, Futron, Mathloom and 4 others like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

If that were true EG's 30 mins a game has been wasted for player(s) that should be in those minutes

Corrosion, Futron and Easy like this.
  8. Rokman

Rokman Member

Well, he needs to develop it and I think he is more creative with the ball than we are seeing. I would like to see him become more central to the teams offense.

Corrosion and Futron like this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't be surprised if they trade some of the young guys in the offseason for good veterans. They need to start winning next season. This is why this season is so important in developing the kids, either to see if they should stick or at least up their trade values.

This is why playing Bruno a lot of minutes is shortsighted. Bruno doesn't need development. He is what he is, a journey man back up center. You can always insert him with some matchup. But guys like Sengun and Garuba needs to be looked at and developed. They are intriguing talents that could turn out to be big hits.

cryout75 and Aruba77 like this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Who? What? No, I have said we need energy and ball and body movement in the SF position and we are too short? Which players don't fit together?

Green and KPJ? While not ideal, they do work, whereas 3SG just makes us short and easy to guard.

Ego must go.

Bruno is fairly young as a big too.

DD

daywalker02 and Rolliepollie like this.
  11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

He’s not going to develop everything in his first year.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

no he doesn't. what you're seeing is the type of plyer hes been at cincy/lsu. He's not someone you centralize your offense around. And he won't be that type player in the league

Easy likes this.
  13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I mean, if there's a young guy we don't want (or can't find time for), other teams probably don't want them either, not for significant assets. We're the worst team in the league.

I don't see us getting some stud PG for Tate or Christopher or whoever in a trade. And, we're not trading any of the high potential guys for just a solid vet. Only teams that are one piece away do that.

The truth is this team has lots of flaws. Getting a solid vet at one position or another isn't going to make us a good team. The Celtics were in the Finals last year without a real PG. It's not a position thing. We need a big time player with gravity. That will likely only happen through the draft.

I just don’t see a move that makes sense for the long term - other than dumping Gordon for a late 1st.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I guess I was assuming that at least two of the young guys will turn out to be star players. If none of them do and we don't draft one next year, then we are pretty much doomed for at least a few more years.

Assuming that we have a couple of cornerstone pieces, we don't need a stud PG, just a competent one is enough. We still have EG as a trade chip and we can use some of our future picks to get one.

15. Rolliepollie

Rolliepollie Member

Should they trade sengun if they are going to start bruno? His value is high.

16. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

A lob threat on a rebuilding team > developing players with actual skill

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Starting a lob threat is not hindering anyone's development you drama queens.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Not playing Sengun 48 minutes at every position personally offends certain new members of this board. I think we should start 5 Senguns and have them pass to each other from high post to low post

Corrosion, maj21 and txtodd like this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Listen hater, if you are only going to play 5 Senguns, I hope you trade him to a non trash organization that will commit to 8 Senguns and sign his little sister, Salpi Sengun, to a g league deal.

Corrosion and maj21 like this.
  20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

There's a roster crunch at center, forward and guard. Fernando has a different skillset at center than Sengun and Garuba. You just give every guy 16 minutes every game? Forward boasts a ton of young talent but only 96 minutes to go around between 2 positions. Martin, Eason, Smith, Tate, Gordon too. Not to mention... the likelihood we draft one of the uber-athletic forwards if we don't get #1 or #2 seems high. One of the Thompson twins, Cam Whitmore, Whitehead. What if we walk away with a Nick Smith at guard? There's already a crunch for 3rd guard. After Porter, Green you have Nix, Washington, Christopher and occasionally Mathews competing for time.

And there's a crunch now but making the wrong move expecting something in the draft would hurt if the draft doesn't play out the way you like. Consider getting first or second pick. Decision is pretty much made for you but look how different the starting 5 would be:

Porter-Green-*Martin-Smith-Wembanyama

Henderson-Green-*Martin-Smith-Sengun

*or whoever at 3. Eason or Tate would work just fine too. And hopefully we would say that's enough talent to win again. Start playing for real. Either way, I think it's pretty much decided and either lineup should work for us to start winning again. Either lineup is a way different team too, so forcing Fernando into a situation where Sengun and Garuba are playing well when we might just end up with Victor Wembanyama is a self-inflicted wound imo. Maybe Garuba really does shoot 3s well enough to play forward, further crunching the minutes there. Invested all this time into Porter, just to end up with Henderson? I don't feel like Porter accepts the 6th man role.And that still doesn't really fix the current jam at forward or center!

Free Gordon.

Lord have mercy, let us land Wembanyama #1 overall.

maj21 likes this.