1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can the Texans afford to fire Lovie?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 20, 2022.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um, the scandal was always going to happen. Had nothing to do with the coach. Solis hired Busbee that December and Watson was approached then to settle.

2. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Shane Waldron. Bookmark it.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. a time to chill

What is Lovie Smith's contract? I feel like the Texans work hard to keep these details confidential. You can't easily do a google search to find this out like you can with other coaches. It was only after Culley got fired that you found out it was for four years $22M. But when O'Brien got contracts and extensions, the details were reported immediately. Why the secrecy?

Anyways...I think Lovie needs at least one more year with a more improved roster before we find another coach. I don't think it's right to fire him only after one season. However, he should replace Pep Hamilton as OC. This roster is terrible and is at best a 6 win roster. Winning 6 games was the worst-case scenario since we need the #1 draft pick. When Lovie got in that heated exchange with Brian T. Smith he was trying to say in so many words, "Why change now? We are tanking." Like it or not, the team needs to lose games now. It sucks but this is what happens when the GM decided to draft Davis Mills and bring in no real competition at the backup QB spot.

I don't like how Lovie is catching all the criticism in the media, but only a few folks are questioning Caserio and whether he should remain the GM. Seems wrong to me. If Lovie goes, Caserio should go to...completely clean house and start fresh - but you know incompetent Cal McNair won't do that because he doesn't know how to run things himself and is relying on Caserio for advice, so he's easily manipulated.

HillBoy likes this.
  4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Google says 5/25

Rudyc281 and a time to chill like this.
  5. a time to chill

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You can't ignore how they got here. Yes..."finally" fired the pastor who was named VP of Football Operations. Why was he in that role in the first place? Who put him there? The hole that was created goes all the way back to ownership. Don't think that players and agents don't know this. Being willing to spend money and having people who are actually skilled willing to take the money are 2 different things. There has never been a full commitment to winning...only to doing just enough to make it seem like they care about winning. IMO, there is no sign at all that Caserio is any improvement over Rick Smith (everyone is an improvement over the idiot that was BOB), and it certainly feels like the hole just keeps getting bigger.

7. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I would say Caserio should be allowed to oversee the entirety of the Watson trade and get his QB in here.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Players and Agents go where the money is. Who put Easterby in this position? Bill O'Brien. Cal listens to his football people, for better or worse, most of the time.

9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

The sad thing is we've already been talking about how shitty this franchise has been for the past 20 years. :)

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Hahahahaahaha, how is Eric B. going to prevent that sexual predator from getting his schlong and butthole massaged? That dude was a **** stain to the org's rep and they needed him gone ASAP.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He's the f***ing owner. If he can't see that putting a pastor in to a position like that is a bad idea, then it's on him when it goes up in flames...and it has become the most amazing of dumpster fires.

12. a time to chill

I'm fine with that. I don't think we should fire anyone right now head coach or GM. But I just get annoyed when people say Lovie should be fired and in the same sentence say that Caserio should get his guy...as if he had nothing to do with the hiring of Culley and Smith. Firing two coaches after one year is not a good look, and is especially unfair to Lovie since he doesn't have the talent to work with right now. The McNairs were extremely patient with Kubiak and O'Brien...even giving O'Brien more power after lackluster seasons, but Culley and Smith should only get 1 year? Ridiculous.

whag00 likes this.
  13. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

But would you agree there needs to be a change at OC and bring in a DC?

14. Major

Major Member

Indy taking on Jeff Saturday probably gives the Texans cover to hire Josh McCown.

Meanwhile, places like Miami and the Giants did real hiring processes and got actual smart coaches and turned teams around instantly.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  15. a time to chill

Yes, they should probably do those things.

16. Qan

Qan Member

Just fire them all... I heard McCown is ready.

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And “His” HC as well

raining threes likes this.
  18. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I am not a huge Lovie fan, but firing the man when you gave him bb guns to go fight in a war when everyone else has AK's... A no win situation...

I would let Lovie stay, but I would let him know that he needs to get the right personnel in place to win some games... Also I would let Nick know he needs to get Lovie the right players... The Coach and GM (No matter who they are) have to work together...

T_Man

a time to chill likes this.
  19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Tampa 2 has to go

[​IMG]

ROXRAN, Rudyc281 and Shark44 like this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Texans are going to suck for a while still and there's no proof at this point that the GM in charge is good, but...

This is unfair comparison. Both teams had a better talent base. Miami in particular is stacked with talent. The Texans were completely gutted by the last regime and are in a rare situation for an NFL team to be in a total rebuild of the talent base after years of dumping good players, missing on entire drafts and having a shitty coaching staff to coach up any young players.

Deep Steel Truth and Rudyc281 like this.