1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now it gets interesting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Nov 22, 2022.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Big if true

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In your hearts, you all know what is going to happen. Stephen Silas is going to bench Alperen Sengun. I see 15 minutes a game in Sengun's future, with an incredibly short leash. In fact, watch for Silas to get pissed at Alperen in the next couple of games so that he can make up a reason to pull the plug. He will 100% find something to complain about. While this happens, KPJ will continue to have neon green lights.

If you want to play drive & kick guard ball, ignore the bigs, switch everything, and in general play like a JUCO team, Sengun is simply not your man. A Kelvin Cato prototype is an easier fit. Both Bruno and Usman want nothing to do with the basketball, and Silas and our guards love that. If we were going for a few more wins right now, the best starting C for this group would be Usman Garuba. He allows the guards to play without learning ANYTHING. In the short term, the Rockets will probably be slightly better. In the long term, we will have bad habits to break, ala Steve and Cat.

I hope Rafael doesn't fall in love with Silas If we get slightly better with this formula.

Nook, cmoak1982 and Ankara1923 like this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Bull s**t. Regarding Sengun, I don't see that happening at all, unless Silas wants to be fired. Could happen with KPJ, though. It's what's happening now.

red5rocket and Ankara1923 like this.
  4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I dont either but I do think Silas is looking for more defense. That's why he takes Sengun out at the end of games.

carib, Futron, Aruba77 and 1 other person like this.
  5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jabari needs to have an injury that sidelines him for a few weeks. Let KJ and Tari start for a while. That might be good for everybody.

Futron and Ankara1923 like this.
  6. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

I am expecting "mistery illness" in Sengun's camp.

Futron likes this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Gordon shouldn't play another second as a Rocket ....

Trading EG doesn't help the situation at the 5 with Sengun, Garuba & Bruno ....

It does open up minutes at the 2-3 spots which might give Eason and KJ more run which will be more important when Tate returns.

Also, I don't believe there's a trade out there for EG, I really think he's bought out / released after the trade deadline. His contract is just so hard to trade because of salary matching.

Futron and RasaqBoi like this.
  8. Rokman

Rokman Member

In my view here is the ranking on who should have the ball in their hands the most based on my view of their performance. It probably won't be popular.

1. Sengun
    2. Eason
    3. Green
    4. Porter
    5. Smith
    6. Martin
    7. Garuba
    8. Washington
    9. Fernando
    Gordon, as great as he is he eats up a lot of shot opportunities for Smith. Id like to see him succeed somewhere else.
    Nix, he's progressing but still sloppy with the ball and slow. Send him back to the G-League
    Mathews, WTH happened to him? He lost his swagger over the summer.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I'd only expect them to want to trade EG. They may have to add someone else for filler though. I would be surprised if they traded away a guy like Sengun without a really good deal.

I think they'll keep dealing with the logjams at certain positions this year. It's not like we have superstars that can't be flexible with PT/positions/etc

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

Play all three at the same time. Just for fun!

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

It's a bit of a logjam at the 4 and 5. I feel like Garuba will lose his minutes to Bruno which is kinda sad

12. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

KJ takes minutes at the 3 from Gordon. Bruno and Garuba will be 15-20 minutes, Smith and Alpi 25-30 minutes. It gets really interesting when Tate comes back.

Corrosion likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I love Bruno, but it's not going to be interesting. What's interesting is the two 20 yr old prospects we have each of whom is excellent on one side of the ball and both of whom have a higher ceiling.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

KPJ

We start 3 SGs right now, we need to bench one of them (EGO) and put in KMJ or Eason......

DD

carib, daywalker02 and RasaqBoi like this.
  15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I have to say I actually expect this as wel. Sengun will not start anymore (will probably use the excuse of not winning and needing defense as the reason). So bruno will start. And I think he will reduce Garuba's minutes a lot. But I think Silas will use Garuba for certain matchups which will lead to fewer minutes from sengun (We already see Sengun never finishing games).

Silas does not appreciate what Sengun brings to the table. He is just not a fan of him. The inability to Use Sengun properly is one of te mnay reasons I am ready to move on from Silas.

cml750, cryout75, Futron and 2 others like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hollins is looking for defense and Stephen is just smiling.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A big reason for firing Silas is the circumstance that he uses KPJ as Luka.

He hides behind this smile as if that grants him immunity.

18. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Matthews is not getting the rock like he did last year and some of it if not all is on the coach

19. JW86

JW86 Member

If done right, this could be something special. Garuba is a 4 anyway, so only question is: who gets bumped out of rotation? Will we see Eason get even less minutes? Sengun's playing time cut tremendously? To most of us it's easy when you would have a rotation to be something as follows:

KPJ - Nix
    Green - KJ
    Ego - Tari
    Jabari - Garuba
    Sengun - Bruno

I'd actually understand if we bring in Garuba & Sengun off the bench together to have the ultimate goon squad, especially once Tate returns and replaces Nix. However, you know Silas won't do that. And just looking at that depth chart, switching out KJ for Ego makes even more sense with Garuba at the 4 and Tari moving to the 3 (which is not an issue at all for Tari).

20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I absolutely love Eason and kept lobbying (CF) to jump on board before the draft. But he should not have the ball more. Especially not more than Jalen. Eason gets his off hustle, not by creating for himself or others. He is a horrible ball handler.

monster likes this.