1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Silas 2.0

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Oct 21, 2022.

1. FuryFC

FuryFC Member

Played by collegians at Princeton...

2. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

No coincidence most ALL the Silas haters are Sengun apologists & sympathizers. Sengun can't do anything wrong without it being Silas's fault. The fact is Sengun's defense is atrocious and he can't be trusted 2 finish games. Teams will seek him out and either score or get fouled. All this nonsense about him being misused is hogwash. He's too much of a liability to play big minutes

maj21 and Corrosion like this.
  3. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

I'm not a Silas hater or Sengun apologist, but ok.
    I agree Sengun's defense presents a problem for us. I also acknowledge that altering our offensive approach won't solve our issues on defense. I know that we rank 28th in DefRating and have limitations on that end. What team with a sub-25 win projection doesn't?

I'm just playing on the assumption that KPJ, Jalen and Jabari are guys that need to see their shots go in... they are prospects because they have a special talent of putting the ball in the basket. In my opinion, Sengun has really high court awareness and passing skills.
    Why not try a game plan that clearly caters to that?

What we have at present looks awkward and feels a lot like players are being forced into a system rather than having a system designed & implemented for our skillsets. Our pace has been pretty good again this year, but apart from that we are laboring offensively.

And when we struggle to do what we're good at, it can impact everything else. You have problems at home (offense), it can affect you at work (defense, hustle, locker room or whatever), which is why I tend to think the root cause here is our offense. Some of our core don't seem comfortable with their game.

I don't mind doses of ISO when you also give the opponent so many other looks and got them on their heels, but some games it seems like that's all we're doing from the tip. You need a player with a handle and decision-making in the 99th percentile for that to consistently work.

Anyway, I like coach Silas, I just have concerns on the outlook here because we're kinda on a timeline; we need to make a big leap next year (pick to OKC). Go Rockets.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. Carpe82

Carpe82 Member

There's nothing wrong with being a silas hater. The question is how the hell can someone be a silas defender? The guy sucks from here to the moon

5. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Very young team, playing without 2 starters and injuries. Steve Kerr couldn't do anything with this roster, how could Silas?

roslolian likes this.
  6. amaru

amaru Member

I’m assuming they’d promote from within because I can’t see anyone signing up for this dumpster fire.

AroundTheWorld and King1 like this.
  7. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Always an excuse for Silas lovers….never his fault. 20 losses in a row…not his fault; 1-16….not his fault; Daisaun Nix….not his fault; too many turnovers….not his fault; 3-14 start….not his fault. You’re right…it must be the injuries!!!

8. Ancient Moabite

Of course Silas takes a percentage of the blame game

Its a big diff between seasoned talent who know how to win vs young talent trying to reach that level

Had Silas been the interim/sub coach like Walton was for Dubs some years back he would look like a genius

Then soon as Walton goes to coach the Kings he looks like Silas with Rockets because he didn't have the seasoned talent and got canned because I guess it was all his fault

At this point the Rockets should just bring in L Brown to coach because he would bring discipline/fundamental approach while still letting players do what they do according to their strengths and masking their weaknesses to a certain degree

9. Qan

Qan Member

Honestly, at this point it doesn't fcking matter if it's Silas fault or not. The Rockets is a young team and that is not going to change anytime soon. Whatever Silas is doing might work for some other team...maybe, but it's not working for this current Rockets. The thing that can quickly change and make a difference will be coaching, so next year the Rockets need to make that change. Silas isn't working for this current Rockets team...that's a fact. Nice guy, but this isn't the team for him to head.

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I doubt that only people that appreciate Sengun want Silas gone. That being said it is logical that everybody that sees potential in Sengun wants Silas gone. Since Silas does not want a center with the skill sets of Sengun. So the people that believe that Sengun is one of the players with the highest potential on this team might not appreciate how Silas treats him. If you want to develop your young talented players they need minutes at crunch time.

Furthermore Sengun is not a good defender. But our offense without him is terrible. We completely rely on Hero ball by KPJ (not one of our young talented players). I want Sengun to work on his defense, but he needs high pressure situations to really work on it. And even when Sengun is having good defensive games he will be pulled.

I love most of our young players, not only Sengun. I love what Green, Garuba and Eason are bringing. I am also starting to see some flashes of light with Smith. I do expect him to become a very good player.

There are 3 major reasons why I want Silas gone.
    1: He does not play to his players strengths
    I believe a good coach uses his players to their strengths. He just doesn't do that. he forces players into certain roles even when that does not fit them. To me a good coach is able to adapt the style of play of his team to his players. Silas doesn't do that. That is a sign of a coach that is not flexible.

It is very apparent with Sengun: If you have him on the court use him on offense, if you do not use him on offense there is not really a reason to have him on the court. Sengun makes our offense much better when he touches the ball. Everything goes smoother, there is more ball movement. Last year it was amazing that he used Wood on the low post and Sengun as a floor spacer. Both playing into their weakness. Then he decided that they couldn't play together.....

Green is an amazing scorer. When he is hot he can break down defenses and score against anyone. However His handle is not amazing, and he gets into shooting slumps. Try to get him on the move and some easy looks when he isn't player well. Use players such as Sengun to create space for Green to get him some open shots.

KPJ is a good scorer. But he is a terrible pick and roll facilitator. He does not see the roll man ever., and open three point shooters are also regularly missed. On top of that he is a good catch and shoot shooter. So why use him at the pick and roll all the time. Move him off ball, and let him try to score on occasion. And when he is on the ball let him try to create.

2: He overvalues KPJ
    KPJ is not our most talented player (I am not sure if he is top 3). Why does he have the green light. He is not the best scorer on a winning team. If he is going to have a future in this league he will be one of two type of players. He will either be a spark plug of the bench (what I expect him to become). The second option is a facilitator. Let him try to get others involved in the game. Don't go one on 3 in 4 consecutive possessions.

To me the players we should mainly infest in are Green, Sengun and Smith. Others will have to fit in with these 3. I want these 3 to be the main players at crunch time. Why do we not draw up plays for Green at crunch time when he is hot? We have had multiple games where Green was hot for 3 quarters, but in the fourth it was KPJ hero ball.

3: He doesn't seem to hold people accountable.

4: There seems to be no offensive schemes.
    Our offensive is iso iso iso. Only when Sengun touches the ball do we get some ball movement and something that looks like a good offense. Why not run playss other then ISO. I thought that it was KPJ problem, but when he was out our main offense was Gordon doing ISO's. THis means that it is the coach.

mirdirir, noppeper, slothy420 and 7 others like this.
  11. bmelo

bmelo Member

Bro should watch some u20 Fiba basketball if he wants to see what these youngings are capable of :)

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I could only assume those socalled apologists are mostly defending the reasons behind the poor job.

That includes a tanking job but we all know the young team would suck, just how much they would suck wasn't clear.

However, I do think the majority wants him gone and a good number of posters just does not intend to come off as total jerks doing so therefore they try to accuse some of his coaching or his situation.

I just don't really care about him and his smiles.

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Tari is not getting enough mins = silas fault
    Smith looks like sht = that's on Silas for not designing plays for his rookies. Yes he gets "open shot" but rhythm and building his confidence r important.

Gordon is playing too many mins and taking too many shots = silas fault

Iso kpj and making him our pg when he clearly blows at it = silas fault.

Jc is still benched while Gary bird soaks up his mins = silas fault.

Team losing = silas fault.

So many sht to get angry about for this incompetent coach. Him unable to recognize the greatness of Bruno and sengun is just cherry on top.

I'm more triggered about garuba potentially being left out the rotation when Bruno comes back more than anything.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The whole "let's take out Sengun for defensive purposes to close games" argument, has um, a certain consequence -

The Rockets are competitive late in games much more often than last season -- a sign of progress -- but closing them has been a big problem. Houston ranks last in the league by a wide margin in clutch offensive rating (71.9 points per 100 possessions). Point guard Kevin Porter Jr. is 4-of-14 from the floor (1-of-7 on 3s) with only one assist in 24 clutch minutes. -- MacMahon
    That's not only the worst mark in the league by a stupendous margin, but it would easily be the worst ever recorded

#554 SamFisher, Nov 24, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Occupational hazard.

16. Carpe82

Carpe82 Member

True, can't understand this weird obsession

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Fantastic post.

Unfortunately most likely lost on people like @rocketchamp and @maj21 and @Dobbizzle who seem to be obsessed with KPJ isos and brainless Stromile Swift type basketball.

joshuaao and Ankara1923 like this.
  18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah the problem is we don't have Adelman, we have Silas.

There hasn't been an Princeton Offense coach since Adelman.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

20. maj21

maj21 Member

Saying that KPJ is not one of our talented young players is just wrong, he’s only 22 lol. Playing to Sengun’s strengths is just making all of our players cutters and spot up shooters.. the problem is that these other guys on the roster can make things happen in other areas of the game, whereas Sengun is only useful when EVERYTHING goes through him. Y’all just only wanna focus on one player, not the team. Come playoff time, perimeter players have to be able to create their own shot. What if there’s 3 seconds left in the game and we need a bucket, are we gonna dump it to Sengun down in the post so he can twirl around for 5 seconds? Y’all think Silas is the only coach that would do this, but you’re wrong! Why not let Sengun dominate the ball off the bench against backups?! Teams are gonna figure out his moves and will shut that **** down, which is why he needs a 3 ball. None of us said this should be the KPJ iso show, you SOF

rocketchamp likes this.