1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade ANYONE to accelerate growth?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 20, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I kind of agree, I wonder what the percentage is of developing all time greatness vs just coming into the league as great.

I mean Kobe wasn't great for a couple of years........but Lebron, Bird, Hakeem, Magic etc....all came in great.....

Who else has developed into an all time great ?

Kobe, KG, Harden, ...

DD

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I must admit, I'm beginning to question Green too. I'm not pinpointing one game but if he had come through last night, they win.

However, he seems to not show up at the end of games and I don't know why. He has the length, the shoot, everything but for some strange reason in the 4th Qtr, he seems to fade.

3. DaDakota

Because it is easy to take away his right hand and overplay it late - and he hasn't learned how to do counters to that, he fades in the 4th because teams lock in and he doesn't have a hesi, or a left handed drive that is consistent, nor a pull up.....he needs to improve to get a good shot for himself in the 4th...as we don't run actions to help.

DD

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

There's really no consistent move for him to go to when the game comes to down the wire. When the defense tightens up in an iso situation, he's doesn't have the ability to really drive in and finish with contact. He's also still a bit weak and gets bothered by contact, and they usually let defense get away from wit it on the perimeter during crunch time.

5. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Except Knicks please.

6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Kg kobe and harden were all very good starters at worst in their 2nd seasons, borderline allstar lever guys by that point. It’s a myth that they sucked for years

7. dmoneybangbang

We more than likely won't make a major move until around the draft since we will be armed with our best asset (2023 FRP).

We are just going to suck this year and we may make moves on the margins… trade Gordon… take a flyer on someone like Killian Hayes or Duarte.

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

As I've said many times I think Green is going to have a Vince Carter type career. Almost identical players. That's a good building block. Sengun hopefully can be Vlade Divac. Two wild cards are Eason and Smith. If Eason could be Rodman with a jumper we'd be set. Smith being Rashard Lewis with D would be nice.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That first list of players, outside of Lebron played 4 years in college before coming into the league.

Kobe & KG were straight outa highschool and Harden played one year at Arizona State .... All three had their struggles early on.

I wouldn't call that comparing apples to apples.

10. Ancient Moabite

Magic n Bird did 4 years in ncaa?

11. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I believe Sengun is more important than Silas. We should have a poll: If you had to pick for our team would you keep Silas or Sengun? Silas is a regular coach, he is nothing special. You do not find many players who are 20 and 10 night. He elite foot work and elite passing. What does Elite attributes does Silas have? Creating great lineups? Smart decision at the end of the game? Being a disciplinarian? I rest my case , keep the potential All Star.

12. DaDakota

Well I think Green is that for sure, right?

DD

Dobbizzle likes this.
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Happy anytime to put on my ASSet hat DD.

DaDakota likes this.
  14. dobro1229

I would trade quite a few people if it meant that Jalen Green would turn the corner and be a true superstar. I guess another player too if they have proven they have the potential and just need some help to get there.

I think about what could help Jalen make that jump though a lot. My best guess is putting the ball in his hands more to create off the pick and roll would be the biggest improvement.

So maybe i would trade Sengun if it meant getting back someone like Clint Capela as an elite pick and roll finisher. I think that’s the type of fit trades I would consider. Maybe still keep Sengun and trade someone else like EG and a pick to get an elite roller to fill that spot long term.

So it’s not just about need to get competitive faster. It’s about what players help Jalen take that next step to be a star player you can build around and win games with as your primary creator.

15. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Depends on if we could get a star player. That is the only trade i would do and how many more wins it would bring us. I want to win as much as we can, but also are people going to be happy with a pick 8 or 9 instead of top 4 after getting a few more wins with the star player.

Just got to be patient

dobro1229 likes this.
  16. DaDakota

Would you trade Green for a young elite PG and role with KPJ as your SG? If Green would net a better player like Jayden Ivey, or Suggs etc.

DD

17. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

This is true, the difference is experience. Running those sets with players who are 6-7 years in to their NBA career is a lot different than running them with players in their first or second year.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

are you saying Ivey and Suggs are better than Green? if so, you are crazy. Neither of those two have the upside of Green, heck Suggs has not shown much as a pro yet. Suggs is only just starting to be "alright"

Dobbizzle likes this.
  19. dobro1229

No cause I think despite his flaws he’s got the highest variance to hit another level and be a star you can build around. I mean he could also flame out in a couple years too but because the name of the game is getting or developing a star playmaker you can build around, he’s basically untouchable unless you are trading him for a young star to build around like if Luka asked out of Dallas etc. Then you say screw the variance.. take the star now.

If you aren’t showing any promise of star like potential (even unlikely star but still some upside) I think you always have to be available for the right guy. I love Jabari still and really really love Sengun… but if we are honest, their ceiling to potentially be a cornerstone you can build your offense around is very low. Too low to think twice if the right player is available.

DaDakota likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Magic 2 and Bird 3 years in college.

Ancient Moabite likes this.