1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Victor Wembanyama tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lunareste, Oct 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

86% chance we won’t get him but Clutchfans is still like:
    [​IMG]

KingSamJack, Futron, saleem and 2 others like this.
  2. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

I am trying to remember if Darko Milicic hype was more or less prior to draft. These body types never work, never stay healthy. He might need Embiid treatment from the refs to compete in NBA level. I am watching Monaco Euroleague game now. Why is he not there? These hyped videos against high school level competition are generally misleading. Mark my words, his ceiling is KD, but i saw his knee turn the other way during yesterday game. That is not right. Lets see if he he will provide medical reports (guess who did not share those this summer)...

3. xaos

xaos Member

Not that this changes your view, but it's currently 84%, not 86%. As a fan of the NBA I'm excited to see him enter the league... period. Last time I was excited about a prospect like this was Lebron (when Rockets had 0% chance). We were too excited we picked Malick Badiane 44th and finished 5th in the West at the time to be excited about a Wade or Lebron chance of joining our team.

As a fan of the NBA and Rockets for about 25 years I'd say chances of landing a player like Wemby decreases to close to 0 for the next decade + after the draft lottery. So, it's not realistic to make plans of landing #1, but it's fun to see where your imagination takes you. It's the closest to landing a player with his potential we will likely get for another 20 years.

If we miss out on Wemby (likely) we have over 32% chance of Scoot or Wemby. If we miss out on those then we add another top 6 pick to our growing core. Rockets haven't been rebuilding as long as people make it seem.

4. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

We will sacrifice this season. We will not get Wemby. But that's ok, we'll sacrifice next season, too. There's always somebody.

5. xaos

xaos Member

We won't have full control over our pick next year.

Futron, saleem, luckyman76 and 3 others like this.
  6. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Oh. And the last vestige of hope slips away. Thank you, though.

saleem and xaos like this.
  7. xaos

xaos Member

It can also be seen as good news. Rockets knew they had a 3 year window to bottom out and accumulate high end talent via the draft. We do not have our picks outright for the following 3 years. So, even if we would've traded for a star a year or two ago, we would've struggled acquiring more talent around them. This was one of the ways we could land either a franchise guy (Wemby) or multiple All star guys (Green/Scoot/Smith/etc). Also playing the percentages of how often busts happen vs how often all stars happens, 3 consecutive drafts should get us about 2 all stars without giving up any meaningful asset (including opportunity costs)

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

Exactly.
    A lot of us might not be around by the time another caliber prospect like this comes around and we have more than 0% chance to get him. You can look at it as it is such a small chance to get him or you can look at it as we share the top 3 highest odds to get him.
    For a lot of guys in their 40s,50s, 60s+, this could be a final opportunity to get close to reliving the Clutch City days. One final ride and to go out on top of a big mans shoulders the way our franchise always has seems a fitting end for many of us and a beginning for the future generation.

Mentally, i'm absolutely ready for Scoot as well. If lady luck is not on our side and we fall 3 or below? I don't see a particularly perfect fit, but you got lots of options to trade down or out for an established player or best fit and you bet on Jalen and Bari developing into stars in time with Bron/AD, Curry/Warriors, KD, Harden, CP3, Dame and Kyrie, Kawhi/PG and more on their way out of the league or in mid 30s decline. The league standings are weird and already reflecting a changing of the guard and the West looks absolutely wildly swingable in any direction in the coming years. Jalen and Bari might be enough in 3 to 4 years, but with Wemby? In the West which seems far more spread out right now? I think if Wemby lands in the west, his team will be in the Finals before you can say Wemby's full name.

9. alex_eg6

alex_eg6 Member

Also, I wouldn't mind getting Scoot Henderson. We need a good PG, I don't think KPJ is the answer. I think the Rockets front office knows that giving the contract he was just signed. Back court of Henderson and Green would be deadly.

jimmyv281, Futron, saleem and 2 others like this.
  10. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

We all know if we land Wemby this is 100% what will happen. Just gotta hope for a championship before year 5.

Futron and FLAGRANT1 like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah, we've known what the timeline has to be from the moment Harden was traded and Stone set this up as best he could considering the circumstances he was left by Morey.

The window to accumulate talent was 3 drafts after which the team no longer controls its draft picks outright due to the "I know what we need to do" trade. Tho there are protections, 4-10-4 .... but you can't guarantee you keep them. The middle one is only a swap.

That also coincided with the expiration of Westbrook/ Wall & EG's contracts and nearly $70m in open cap space allowing you great freedom in trades or spending in FA.

The team should be in a good place come next season when they add what should be a top 5ish pick with the ability to add talent either thru trade without regard to matching salary or thru free agency with a boatload of $$$ to spend Supermax Plus ~$25m.

Futron and xaos like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...bottom-for-victor-wembanyama-can-be-thankful/

1. Houston Rockets: It's often said that fans don't like to watch losing teams. Those fans have never watched the Rockets. They're bad but they're not remotely boring. K.J. Martin is one of the NBA's best dunkers. Alperen Sengun is definitely the NBA's best Alperen Sengun, and to better understand what that means you should probably just go watch some of the funky stuff he does in the post. Jalen Green and Kevin Porter Jr. score a bunch of points and give up even more of them. Nobody in Houston is clamoring for the Rockets to fast-forward through their rebuild because they're perfectly fun as is.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Worst record two years in a row and lost the lottery both times. Deliberate tanking doesn't work and I wish folks would realize that. It truly is a lottery and you need to be lucky.

saleem likes this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Sure, you need a little luck ..... but if you don't play you can't win.

And despite the fact that they didn't get the # pick in either of the past two seasons, they did get prospects with huge upside.

Last years #1 pick is shooting 27.9% from three and averaging fewer ppg than the guy we ended up with.

You all expect these kids to come in and be finished products ..... that's unreasonable

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That depends on how the Nets continue to do. Things have improved for them lately, but I still haven't ruled out them blowing it up by the deadline. Durant asking out again is still a very real possibility. But right this moment, with our right to swap picks with the Nets, there is an 83.5% chance we won't get him. But if they blow it up and fall to say, the 8th worst record in the league, it would improve to a 78.5% chance we don't get him. Where as, if they fell down to the 5th worst record we'd literally have a 1 and 4 chance of getting him.

So yeah, odds still aren't in our favor but we do have the best chance in the league if the Nets remain a lottery team.

Rolliepollie likes this.
  16. Williamson

How did it not work? How did we lose the lottery? We were aiming for top 3 picks. We got top 3 picks both years. Seems like it's working perfectly to me.

joshuaao and larsv8 like this.
  17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm trying to remember Darko Milcic and man that guy stunk at basketball

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

#2 and #3 don't get you Wemby and this is a Wemby tank thread. I'll let you figure it out.

19. Williamson

And #2 would get us Scoot. #3 would likely get us Amen. Those are wins too.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I’m pretty sure getting Green was winning the lottery. If it was 1-4 that was 100% a win. Otherwise worst record and the pick going to Thunder would have sucked so bad.

I understand what you’re saying. I’m just saying though it was a win in that regard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.