1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Let me ask you this, if nothing else changes; Lovie is still HC, Pep is still OC and everyone remained on the offense side of the ball but you replace Young with Mills, what do you think the Texans record would be right now? With just that change.

I can honestly say I think they would be in the hunt for a Playoff spot. I think the team morale would be higher, the defense would be playing better because they do not feel as though their efforts are not in vain.

Honestly, looking back at their schedule, I think they would at least have between 5 -6 wins.

Colts - W
    Broncos - W
    Bears - W
    Chargers - L
    Jags -W
    Raiders -L
    Titans- could've went either way.
    NY - W
    Wash - L

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

With this defense its hard to play this game when they cant stop anyone. So much context can change in these scenarios and this team is so devoid of talent that just taking out Mills and installing another QB is too surface level. We'd need to pull out the drive reports from each of these games and try to apply context. Saying Davis Mills was the single issue that lead to losses is too surface level for me. Pep Hamilton is a terrible OC. His plays are outdated. His feel is bad. Nothing that he offers is helping any QB here and Lovie just stands around with a look like he's just more concerned with what his wife is cooking for dinner.

Young is a great young QB, but he's not a generational guy who is going to dictate W/L by himself.

TheFreak and Two Sandwiches like this.
  3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I stop reading when you said Mills didnt play bad. Lol

Two Sandwiches and red5rocket like this.
  4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I understand what you're saying but let me ask you this, I think if you have a better QB you will coach him differently, you will let him do more.

Pep did a good job with Justin Herbert while he was with the Chargers, correct? I'm not satisfied with the offense either but I think it's more Mills than the offense itself.

Look at it like this, if you had a Ferrari vs a Toyota, you're going to drive the Ferrari different, than you will the Toyota. There are a lot of things Mills just does not do well.

5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Guys

Trust me, if the Texans draft Young or not, they know their weaknesses are in the interiors; offense and defense. Those areas will be addressed in Free Agency and the draft.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont disagree with the argument necessarily -- in a vacuum Bryce Young IS a better prospect than Davis Mills. I just dont believe that with all of the holes on this roster that just changing a QB was going to propel this team into PLAYOFF territory. The defense is abysmal and couldnt stop Katy High School probably. Thrusting a promising QB out there with these guys is just asking for trouble. Hamilton may be a "QB Guru" and can offer some great coaching and encouragement, but he's awful at drawing and calling plays. All great young QBs need an OC that can set them up to succeed.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  7. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

He has carried them. Their 2 losses were in the final minutes when the defense let them down. He was the only reason they were even in those games. Alabama has been a dumpster fire this year. The people who watch Alabama year in and year out know that.

8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

So you agree Pep may be a good QB Guru and when he had SOMETHING to work with; like Herbert and Luck, he's done a good job, correct?
    If we can agree that Pep is at least a QB Guru but Mills is not a good QB, I think that pretty much tells us where the problem is.

And I for one do not think this roster is as far off as others do. I think we need a QB, DL, DE, WR, S, OG and LB.

Two or three of those needs can be addressed with our 1st three picks; QB, DL and LB. Metchie will be back next year, so the WR room will be impacted. Also, there is Free Agency, I think they need experienced OGs rather than reach in the draft. And dont forget they have other picks too.

9. raining threes

You must like midget p*rn

If Caserio drafts Young that's probably what we will be seeing a lot.

10. raining threes

If you put TE in there you would have just about all of the positions covered minus OTa d CB. To think many on this MB want to trade Tunsil

What would be your definition of not far away? They look pretty berift of talent to me. Of course having 6 picks in the top 100 next year and in 2024 should help with this or Caserio should be fired

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

No. I don't feel like this franchise will ever be a good landing spot for a young quarterback - until something drastic happens. Like new ownership.

12. Two Sandwiches

Amen. Well done.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

QB coaches are nowhere near as valuable as a successful OC. If we find a competent OC and demote Hamilton back to coaching I'd be fine with that.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Well everyone knows that wont happen. Best thing fans can hope for is to find a modern HC and an OC that can actually bend defenses and implement proven NFL schemes.

15. Two Sandwiches

I agree.

For the little that it's worth, here's what I'd do right now, which is different than what I'd do tomorrow, most likely:

First pick Bryce Young
    Second pick interior defensive line
    2.1 best center prospect available. Would be willing to trade back into the first if needed.

Sign a guard in free agency to compete on the right side.

Hire a coaching staff that is at least competent.

We haven't had a good offensive line since we had a good center. It is very undervalued and goes a long way.

hlmbasketball and Verbal Christ like this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He had several power 5 offers, was a hot name. Recruited heavily to go to big schools and he chose to stay

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats cool - your opinion is valid and it isnt far fetched. The Texans could very well do what you describe. My stance is that without addressing the deficiency within your decision making totem that it wont matter who you draft as QB. If anything you could risk damaging the prospect beyond repair if they ask him to go out there and not have any semblance of successful passing routes/combos and a coach who doesnt seem to even want to be there. Add to that a horrendous defense and its a recipe for failure. Finding a worthwhile edge player is also imperative as this team cant pressure opposing QBs in the least. Just too many holes to address via draft and the FA list for next year is far from sexy.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He has carried them to two losses. That’s not carrying a team. He’s had some duds and some elite games.
    Still not a for sure thing he “wins” in the league. That’s a stupid statement.
    Hurts, Tua and Mac were winners too and it’s taken them 3 years for two of them and one has regressed.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/dr...-anderson-jr-jalen-carter-levis-landing-spots

dmoneybangbang and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Surely you're not putting those two losses on Bryce are you?

Rudyc281 likes this.