1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Silas 2.0

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Oct 21, 2022.

1. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

This game hurt and embarrassing to be a Rocket. We need to make changes, either trade Gordon or Fire Silas because these players are playing comfortable they need a fire lit under them.

ashleyem likes this.
  2. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

A competitive loss unfortunately. Looks like we have to wait for a couple more games.

3. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

the game against GSW has proved enough how talented our young players are, and you can easily feel their eagerness to notch a W, they didn't didn't give it up, when warriors had a 20pt lead in first qtr, they didn't break down when half of TC crowd cheered for visiting team.
    you could see when second string were bustling and hustling, when KPj, Bari and Tari took over the game one by one, the beauty of the game they present to us is incredible (though they not yet understand how to close the game).
    minutes ago, i couldn't help thinking should these kids were under Popovich's guidance, they could have learned a LOT, also would have developed faster than now under Silas's 'mandate'.
    what can i say? i feel sorry for our kids.
    FIRE SILAS!

persian hoopa and rhee like this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It wasn't that bad. I've seen Harden lose plenty of home games against the Warriors.

5. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

I've tried my best to be patient with Silas, but it's gotten to the point where it feels like we are blatantly refusing to develop our prospects.

The biggest problem I have stems from the approach to offense and misuse of Sengun. I hate seeing him backing it down for a post up from 10ft out. Alpie is a really high IQ player perfect for a Princeton-type offense. Sengun at the elbow in halfcourt with 4 players in constant motion would be fun.

This would play to a lot of our strengths:
    • Jalen: has improved his handle and he does need a few those reps every game, but he expends so much energy with the ball in his hands trying to get by the defense and make decisions. Expend his speed and athleticism to run around more picks, cuts, give and go's to get him more of those easy catch-and-shoot/drive looks.
    • KPJ: cover up some of his point guard deficiencies. His strength is getting buckets. Take away some of the decision-making for some more spot up shooting and a scoring mentality. At the moment we're basically asking him to be Luka or prime Harden.
    • Jabari: more touches off inverted off-ball screens/flares, more midrange action, without needing to dribble, which puts him in a better position to succeed right now.
    This is important on a young team with 3 guys who are used to being "the man". Cultivate: If you work to get open, you'll be rewarded with the opportunity to score.
    • KMJ, Tari, Tate, Gordon and Garuba playstyles would also fit seamlessly in this type of system. Garuba also passes well and we could possibly run such an offense through him for stints.

We'd still be bad, but it'd be better fundamental basketball.
    I'm not necessarily asking for Silas' head, but can the brass admit this isn't working and try employing something different?
    It pains me to see Utah run so many good off-ball screens and win with less talent than us.

6. vince

vince Member

I have gotten the feeling that Silas is only a head coach because he’s an NBA legacy hire? Him having that job sure reeks of NBA level nepotism.

Im sure Tillman has a side deal with the NBA, because he is no slouch; if he’s babysitting Silas, he’s going to get his just deserves…

7. PatBev

PatBev Member

I think Nash would be good for this team

At least he could actually develop

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Fantastic post, which will unfortunately fly right over the head of some of the slower posters on this board like @larsv8, @maj21, @rocketchamp and a few others. They will respond with some stereotypical nonsense that has no basis in fact whatsoever.

persian hoopa and hakeem94 like this.
  9. maj21

maj21 Member

If you’re gonna tag me, at least take me off ignore you coward. We’re just people who care about the rockets, not just one player like you. Tf outta here with that bs

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

lol - You guys are so butt hurt over Sengun not being put first, you are flooding the forum with your tears.

I wan't Sengun to get more touches and I want him to operate out of the post.

When he is on the floor, he should be the focal point.

The only point we disagree on is him being a starter.

And lol at trying to get a bunch of rookies to play the Princeton offense, one of the most complex offensive systems in the game.

Corrosion likes this.
  11. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Wish we had something like this

12. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

The complexity of a Princeton or corner/motion offense is a misconception.

Adelman's first full year in Portland won 59 games and turned in an immediate Finals appearance. That was a stacked team, but that same group was perennial 1st round playoff fodder in years prior.

In his first year in Sacramento he employed his offense and led Sacramento to their first above-.500 season in 15 years. That team had 9 rookies and 2nd yr players on the roster.

The year before he went to MIN, Wolves were 17-65 under Rambis. In 3 years, Adelman got that team to 40-42 before he stepped down. Saunders took the year after and went 16-66.

All I am saying is that coaching makes a difference.
    I agree new concepts or strategies will be tougher for a young team, so teach them.

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

everything is too complicated for lazy people

clutchdabear likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOL and you are expecting of them to play like prime luka, harden, kobe and alan iverson...

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

silas should print this out and stick it to mirror in his bathroom and on the wall over his bed so he can easily be reminded of this wisdom at all times..but alas he s not interested in it... hes a politician, a corporate rat....

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Lying comes to u as easy as breathing. Sengun only folks are annoying for sure but folks who pretend they aren't only fans to "shame" sengun only fans are hypocrites of the highest order.

U are literally copying boobythegreat handbook. Kpj stans do act very similar to each other.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. maj21

maj21 Member

Really!? Bc I was criticizing KPJ in that post, something Sengun fans never do. I’m a big fan of many players on the team, but I’m not an only fan of any of them. Rockets before any player

18. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Just forget about it man.
    silas didn't do it to Wood/KPj last season, he ain't gonna do it to nobody (except bench JC for no reason).
    Nice guy silas got no balls to either reward or punishment.

ThatboyPhuong and ashleyem like this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

SMH we should trade silas and all our broklyn picks for this guy!
    we dont need them picks no more we have talent just need leaders...

clutchdabear and DeBeards like this.
  20. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I am VERY ANGRY that he still hasn’t been fired yet.