1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Mattician

Mattician Member

I'm a little iffy. The offense went cold at times. I know the players should've had better approaches at the plate and adjust better, but you could say part of it is on the hitting coach too.

Maybe if Crane improves the lineup it'll be just fine.

CisBuds4U and Yordan The Great like this.
  3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I remember that ridiculous article that the Boston writer wrote about the dysfunction etc and how Cintron would go to Boston most likely. Clown.

Astros culture is top notch.

Click is such a punk for releasing all that info on his perceived view of the Astros front office.

IBTL, mikol13, desihooper and 6 others like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

“The Astros tacked two years onto Cintrón's current contract, tying him to the organization through 2025.”

“The return of Miller, Cintrón and Snitker leaves three spots on Baker’s staff in doubt: pitching coach Bill Murphy, third-base coach Gary Pettis and quality control coach Dan Firova. Murphy politely declined comment on Monday afternoon about whether he’d return to the Astros in 2023.”

#2024 J.R., Nov 21, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
    Jeremy Williams and H-Town Info like this.
  5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

So after denying it was just speculation, he confirmed it. Way to go Chandler.

Yordan The Great and phasors28 like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I get why people are claiming chaos after 2017 and now the GM and his top assistant leaving after winning the WS.

Having said that, I have heard of ZERO dysfunction within the coaching staff or the clubhouse.

Further, when it comes to Crane - he is known as being demanding when it comes to winning - but he also is known for giving his people the resources and support to do what they want to do. He also has an open-door policy with his employees.

The fact is that the Astros don't have a full time GM right now and won't until after FA and Crane has time to interview and carefully pick who he wants to do the job. While he may not be called an interim GM, right now Andrew Ball and Bill Firkus are operating as GM and Assistant GM and Charles Cook is making the decisions when it comes to player development.

Whenever Crane hires a GM, it is very likely that at least 2/3 of the 3 guys at the top of the organization will still be present and most likely all 3. So while there will be a new GM and possibly a new Player Development head, a lot of things will be the same.

itzIce, raining threes, IBTL and 12 others like this.
  7. Yordan The Great

Just wanted to see that our pitching coach is in place.

Hitting coaches, not impressed. Way too good a hitters to have finished in the middle of the pack in runs scored. Need to get back to being a top 3 offense.

raining threes likes this.
  8. ktex

ktex Member

I'm all for continuity after that run.

mikol13 and PuzzledFan like this.
  9. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Weren’t the Astros #3 in offense last season?

10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Eh. Not saying they couldn't have done better but they were never going to be the top offense. They had 4.5 above average hitters: Bregman, Altuve, Tucker, Alvarez and a half season of Brantley. Yuli falling off hurt line-up depth a lot. Pena was roughly average overall. Chas slightly above average. Maldy was obviously Maldy.

I dunno what/how much you can hang on Cintron. If anything Bregman and Tuve have had significant positive regression in the last two seasons.

#2030 xcrunner51, Nov 21, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

How much is Gallo going to get? I’d be fine with bringing him in for $5M or so and seeing if we can un**** him and get him back to where he was 3 or 4 years ago. Perhaps getting rid of the shift will help him some. At least he’d be a plus fielder in LF. That makes him a better reclamation project than Brantley.

12. ktex

ktex Member

Absolutely not, he strikes out only marginally less than I would.

13. Radricky

Radricky Member

I somehow missed all the stuff click said.
    Can you link me?

14. Yordan The Great

Wow Gallo?

I'd rather the stoner loser from the Dodgers and I wish ill will towards that dude, just as a reference point.

When I heard the Yankees were signing Gallo, I had the heartiest of laughs.

15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'm still sticking with my original plan of signing Abreu, Contreras, and Conforto.

Verlander will watch the Astros celebrate another World Series victory from the opposing dugout as a Met or Dodger.

16. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I would go with Contreras Bell Benintendi
    And let Verlander watch us from the .ets side Celebration of the 2024 WS

rimrocker likes this.
  17. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I wanna see Benintendi hitting like crazy behind Tucker . Contreras and Benintendi swapping in and out ar DH. So Maldy and Yordan can play . With Bell switch hitting bat behind Yordan

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

The problem with Benintendi and Bell is like Contreras they will require a longer contract. Conforto will probably get a 1 year deal or 2 year with an opt out. That plus a 2 or 3 year Abreu deal lineup better for the Astros being able to extend Framber, Javier, etc....

Nook and raining threes like this.
  19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Nah, if Verlander leavers, no more world series for. It's not like he's stellar in the post season.

IBTL likes this.
  20. Yordan The Great

Benintendi is definitely an interesting option in LF. I would be all for it.