1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Commanders @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Nov 15, 2022.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Page 11! Woot!

[​IMG]

That's dedication.

whag00 likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Wow, this is different that how he spoke when he was on the Bears. When he coached the Bears he always blamed the media, or found a way to not answer questions. I appreciate the honesty from Lovie. My guess is he knows he has made his money and he is older and his career is almost older.

You won't find me any players that he has coached that do not think highly of him.

raining threes likes this.
  3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Crane took a $70M discount (bribe) to move the Astros to the AL when he bought the team. The "official" explanation given is that the move to the AL was considered a negative by many fans (particularly me), so much so that the team’s new owners were "compensated" $70 million to offset possible reduced television money because the NL teams played in bigger cities. Personally I believe it was done because Bud Selig didn't want to move his Milwaukee Brewers to the AL so he paid Crane to move the Astros instead.

Caserio didn't prevent them from hiring McCown - the Brian Flores lawsuit did. Had they gone ahead an hired Easterby's guy, they would have proven his case against the league and I believe the NFL stepped in and told Cal no. You didn't even hear Lovie's name come up in the coaching search until that Saturday night before the Sunday announcement. I can see them sticking with Caserio until 2024 and if, by then, things haven't turned around for the better then another housecleaning will be in order and they will start all over...again.

I don't believe that what worked for Astros i.e. the teardown will work in the NFL. That's because in baseball you have minor league teams where the players you draft can be groomed and developed until they are ready to make that step up to the major leagues. And because you have numerous players in the pipeline, the failure of a single player to develop does not directly impact the team at the major league level.

With football it's a different matter entirely as the players you chose have less time to develop especially QBs. If your high draft picks don't pan out that can set you back considerably. And bringing them into a dysfunctional, losing team environment only increases the odds of failure. This is why I'm not buying into the belief that the tanking currently going on with the Texans will end up yielding a competitive team. So what if they end up with the top pick in next year's draft if he's put into a situation like what we have here where everything (players, coaching, management) sucks ass and is regressing week by week. How is a QB picked number one supposed to overcome something like that? AND, while they have been losing on purpose, their opponents have been doing all they can to get better - which only increases the gap between us and them. No, the path they are on now is merely one giant crapshoot where their odds of success are very low.

vinsensual and charlieaustin like this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not even, say, this year's players? :D

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know, I kind of feel like I owe an apology to David Culley. He wasn't a good coach, but he got more out of the Texans than Lovie has. Holy crap has this team been bad. Worse than I think I've ever seen, and I've watched since their inception.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I was just thinking something similar.
    I thought Lovie would turn this team around in terms of discipline and his experience, maybe false hope because he sounds like an adult. But man, we’ve gone backwards in almost every way

ROXRAN, raining threes and whag00 like this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The team got YOUNGER and that is always a recipe for a step back. They have a little more future talent, but it is inexperienced. You take your lumps this year....to get better in the future. Sorry it is painful to watch....

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL … Billy, David, Lovie, did it with everyone Stevie!

charlieaustin likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

11. Qan

Qan Member

Honestly should've just kept Culley this year and not pay Lovie...same results anyways.

12. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Lol...I don't think you even believe what you typed. They have 3 1st rounders on the oline, they paid Cooks $20 mill to be a top tier WR1. They expected Collins and Mills to take steps forward. They promoted Pep with the expectation the offense would be better.

Yes they got younger but they were also supposed to be more talented and better coached...clearly not the case.

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Lol Stephen A can’t play the race card with that one. Brian T Smith talks s*** to all of them regardless of color.

raining threes and J.R. like this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Was that what he was doing? I thought he was saying they were picking on the mild mannered coach and not the hot head

15. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Also they were never this bad under Billy O.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Which is really saying something

raining threes and whag00 like this.
  17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Billy O had alot more talent, even at the end.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um...Billy O had alot more talent.

Fulgore and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

No doubt. I still believe if Texans had a halfway decent coach they win the AFC in 2019.

20. raining threes

Fantasy