1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. raining threes

Don't worry about this with Williams and Maye. They're re really good. Unlike this years flawed class.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. raining threes

That's kind of the point.

Do y'all think Young can be as good as Burrow, Herbert, Mahomes and Allen? If the answer is no, then you pass on the QB this year.
    The 2024 class has that ability. IMHO.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Yes, he can be as good as Burrow since you're throwing him in there. He's faster than Burrow, has a better arm, and more pocket mobility. He'll never have the arm that Allen, Mahomes, and Herbert have, but since you're putting them in the same tier as Burrow, then yes, he can be that.

houstonstime likes this.
  4. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

The track record isn't poor. There's not enough data on short qbs to even have a sample size. How many short qbs even make it in college? Being short already puts you in an extremely rare category as a qb if you make it to the NFL. If a player with that sort of height is drafted high, with the limited data that we have, they're probably more likely to be successful than qbs over 6 foot.

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Fact still remains that Brees is over 6 ft

6. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Yes, but how many 1st round qbs that were under 6 ft were busts?

I was curious so I looked it up. There have only been 2 qbs under 6 ft to ever be drafted in the 1st round. Johnny Manziel and Kyler Murray. So that's a 50% bust rate on a sample size of 2. Sounds much better than the bust rate of qbs over 6 ft!

cbass, houstonstime and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Murray while not a bust is not a franchise guy either.
    Russ is the only franchise type I can recall recently.

Omihall23 likes this.
  8. HstnSprtsFan101

Both are knuckleheads. BY is as sharp as it gets on/off the field

whag00, Omihall23 and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

If we go non-QB with both our Rd1 picks, I'd definitely look at QBs in Rd2 or 3. Richardson and Ward would both be high upside types to look at there. I also have been looking at this kid... https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/2023-nfl-draft-coastal-carolina-qb-grayson-mccall-draft-outlook

He has the size, athletic ability and resume that looks intriguing. He didn't play at a big school, so his transition to the NFL could be difficult and take some time, but his TD/INT ratio 75/7 and completed 70% of his passes for his career. Need to watch some more film on him, Ward and Richardson.

I hear you on FA LB, but would still love to get a guy like this in 3rd Rd https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Owen-Pappoe-LB-Auburn With his kind of athleticism he could be a great add to our core defense and ST.

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

McCall has been one of the best QBs in the country for a while. He should be a first rounder but he gets knocked because he chose to play at a small school over bigger offers.

Shark44 likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn’t be mad at going defense first two picks and McCall in the 2nd either. But I think I’m still on fix the trenches and draft QB next year

Shark44 likes this.
  12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

That's a possible scenario that could work out for us. We've got to get a C and probably a RG as well. I would really like to get John Schmitz the C from Minnesota... https://www.profootballnetwork.com/...inson-ocyrus-torrence-lead-a-wide-open-class/

However, I'd be happy with 1-2 of most IOL on that list. We also need more weapons on offense and a great TE would be awesome as well.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

They are good. But you also liked Ewers over both of them just a few weeks ago and you’re not even mentioning him anymore.

I’ve stated multiple times that I understand the concern for Young. But thinking any single prospect is sure-fired can’t miss is flawed logic. There is literally no such thing.

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Good thing we have an elite Oline then right? :rolleyes:

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Dude, I’m really disappointed in how this team is regressing. The tackles haven’t been bad but the interior is rough, Green was good to start but now……

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

It’s like we draft some one, to plug a hole on the sinking ship, and then another hole bursts open.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

We need more than flex seal to stop these leaks

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Grayson McCall is a good find. Just watched his highlights from last season. Nice arm. Decent size. Though he’s not the fastest, he’s mobile enough to escape sacks. I’d like to see if he can read defenses post snap. Most of his throws are predetermined. He does scramble but it seems to be to the same player he was going to pre-snap. He and Isaiah Likely destroyed teams last year. Again, this was last year’s tape so hopefully that’s changed this year but a career 70% completion is insane.

raining threes and Shark44 like this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s got legit 4.6 speed.
    He was a true dual threat prospect and a big time one that chose small school over big.
    He’s been a prospect for a while

20. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Just to clear this up - he was a 2 star recruit with offers from Coastal, Army, Tenn Chattanooga, Eastern Kentucky, Gardner-Webb.

Appalachian State didn't extent an offer. He has done relatively well at Coastal.

Two Sandwiches likes this.