1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Had my catalytic converter stolen from my 2005 Prius.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by glynch, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Man, they've gotten sophisticated.

[​IMG]

Invisible Fan and tinman like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This sounds awesome though

Ziggy and Xerobull like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

I was curious some I spoke to a friend of mine that is a very successful criminal, having done everything from drug manufacturing to beating people for money, and now mostly just extorts people.

He said that most the catalytic converters being targeted are on high end sports cars and vehicles like the Tundra and Prius.

A tundra catalytic converter is going on the black market for $500-$1500, Not bad for what he says takes less than 5 minutes.

A lot of guys are paying kids to go steal them because they are small, can get under cars, it takes no skill and that they can run away if spotted.

I have an unemployed cousin, maybe I should set him up to get in on the action, seems like easy and free money if you don't get too greedy.

IBTL, Jontro and jiggyfly like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

5. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Set me up too, please.

Catalytic Converter Thieves Escape in a Bright Yellow Lamborghini SUV
    This whole catalytic converter theft issue seems to be getting out of hand.
    Andrew Beckford
    Nov 18, 2022

[​IMG]

Catalytic converter theft is a growing problem that costs vehicle owners millions of dollars annually. If you're wondering why thieves are risking life and limb to steal a device that cleans smog, well, inside catalytic converter lives various precious and rare metals such as platinum, palladium, rhodium. Those metals are worth a pretty penny on the open market. Hence, criminals who want to make a quick buck are targeting popular models such as the Toyota Prius hybrid and Chevrolet Silverado to steal the devices and flip them for a few hundred bucks.

Snatch enough converters—and, you know, find somewhere that will accept large numbers of "used" units without questions—and it could be a lucrative criminal enterprise. Still, we couldn't imagine someone being able to afford a Lamborghini on the proceeds, let alone using that Lambo to... steal more catalytic converters.

And yet, the Torrance, California Police Department just tweeted a video catching a crew of catalytic converter thieves in the act. And wouldn't you know it, they roll up to their theft driving a freakin' 2022 Lamborghini Urus as a getaway car! Assuming the Urus wasn't stolen, or rented, or that these guys aren't stealing cats full time and were merely out on a thrill ride of sorts, one has to wonder just how many smog sweepers these hooligans stole to afford a $220,000 super-SUV?!

If that weren't brazenly wild enough, the Urus is bright yellow! It seems like the suspects were operating under the theory that the easiest way to blend is to be as far from inconspicuous as possible...

Continued...

6. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Finally received cat protector plates for my Tundra Sunday, will be installing those bad boys this week.

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I was working late one night in the driveway (before the weather change) and a cop actually put a spotlight on me thinking I was stealing a catalytic converter (at least only thing that made sense to me at the time). When he got closer and realized I was just mounting running boards on my truck and my garage door was open up he just drove by.

Other funny thing is I still have a hard time actually getting decent value for legitimate catalytic converters. I guess I need an in with a chop shop/shady shop, haha, jk but it does suck, thieves definitely messed it up for everyone else.

8. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Lol, just got mine the Saturday before last. I'm guessing you got yours from Tyler at Valhalla’s Sheild? I went to his house to pick them up and had him install it for me. Took me over 4 months to get it since I first ordered

ATXNekko likes this.
  9. Juxtaposed Jolt

[​IMG]

10. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

I ordered my Valhalla's the first of July and had them powder coated pro red, they look too pretty to be under the truck. Very cool you got to pick them up. One of the packages Fed Ex shipped to California so it took 4 days to get that package.

CCity Zero and TMac'n like this.
  11. TMac'n

Ha! I saw your red front plate (the only red plates he had) and asked if I could have that one. He said it was already for someone. I was almost willing to offer more money for yours!

All the other ones were either black painted plates, or steel unpainted plates. I got black painted front and rear plates to protect all 4 cats on my Tundra. The unpainted steel plates looked like they would stain your driveway with rust stains if it rained

ATXNekko likes this.
  12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hahah, I know that sentence looks bad!!

But some of these scrap/metal yards are low balling me on the price. Like thieves don't have to provide a copy of their title and DL etc, and must be getting top dollar through shady shops. Because if not, they're definitely not risking it for what I was offered at one place - $20 for an OEM F150 Cat, that had low miles.

I'll probably just have to resell it on my own. I mean it's probably more trouble than it's worth trying to get more but I'm not handing over a cat for free basically - that I know actually has the metals still in the converter.

13. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Small world! Glad he didn't let you take them. They do look pretty thou, I'll be telling buddies to climb underneath and take a look. lol

TMac'n likes this.
  14. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

ATXNekko and TMac'n like this.
  15. TMac'n

Yep, he's a one man show. I cringed the whole time waiting and kept emailing and messaging him. To be honest, I'm happy with my purchase, but would've regretted waiting if my cats were stolen again

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

i dunno what a catalytic converter means

ROXRAN and tinman like this.
  17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It’s a breakdancing move.

CCity Zero, boomboom and Jontro like this.
  18. CrazyJoeDavola

It's next to the turbo encabulator which is on port side of the differential compartment.

Jontro likes this.
  19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I think I saw that dance on YouTube shorts with that dude that keeps dancing to the rock a cardigan song …I am trying to learn the moves but I just can’t nail the backflip

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

[​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.