1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I wasn’t saying small hands in reference to his height or weight.. I was saying it because it was a big narrative on if Burrow would be good because experts said his hands measured too small.
    Who is sensitive? Anyone with a differing opinion than you? I’ve just never seen so much focus on the size vs the skill. For every small QB that has failed, there are 10 “prototypical” QB’s that have failed just as hard.

I just don’t see why your argument for height and how that matters is any different than me saying “Spencer Rattler looked amazing, until he didn’t so why wait for the unknown” I also remember a time when a QB being able to run was stupid, “prototypical pocket passer is all we want” and now everyone wants dual threat. Things change, sometimes rapidly, and it’s weird to just write someone off because they don’t look like you want, even though they check every other box.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There has never been a successful QB at Young’s size. If he was an elite athlete that could move I could see it. Even still, he would be the only QB I would take in the first, but his size makes him a huge risk for bust.

You bringing up Rattler makes literally no sense. Rattler wasn’t one of the best QBs in the country, he is no where similar to Maye or Williams.

raining threes likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

The ONLY negative people can say about Young that he is 6ft' or under. And if that's the only thing, I can live with that.

You can't say he has a weak arm, you can't say he doesn't have the smarts, the "IT" Factor, you can't say he is not mobile, he has EVERYTHING you want to see in an NFL QB.

Draft him and MOVE ON, because it's not like he hasn't been hit by NFL Caliber lineman before....remember he plays in the SEC.

#764 hlmbasketball, Nov 20, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  5. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

He’s short, but I’ve seen no indication of a limitation from being short for him. He throws over the middle very well. He also hasn’t had any passes batted down. Also has been very durable with the exception of the shoulder which was basically self inflicted. Any qb drafted is a gamble to an extent, but I’d be comfortable pulling the trigger.

mightybosstone and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Going to be hard to choose Anderson, young, or stroud

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

This is where I’m at with Young. With the way the NFL rules are the qbs are well protected. He just has to be smart if/when he scrambles and either go out of bounds or slide and avoid getting hit.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s going to be hit a lot more here is the problem

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

What are you talking about? Rattler was widely regarded as the top QB prospect going into last year. Even Texans fans were talking about getting him this year. Then he started playing like trash, Williams supplanted him as starter and he dipped to South Carolina instead of the draft because he tanked his value so much. I’m not saying Rattler is as good as them, or even was, but it’s a recent example of ppl thinking “next year go for him” and him imploding. What happens if Williams and/or Maye get hurt, or regress and start to suck horribly, so much so that they don’t even commit to the draft. Then you gave up a top pick and have another top pick and no QB to grab. Just seems silly. But obviously we just have differing opinions here.

hlmbasketball likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No he wasn’t. He was talked about as a good prospect but it was because of a weaker QB class.
    Rattler isn’t in the same ballpark as a prospect as Maye or Williams. Not even close, at any point.

11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Sooty likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Anderson at 1 and trade up for Bryce who will slip because of his size

Shark44 likes this.
  15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

For the 100th time, it’s not that Rattler = Maye. It’s that a mocked #1 pick did so poorly the next year that he didn’t even elect to go to the draft, much less fall back around or 2… a few years ago no one even mentioned Joe Burrow’s name and then he had a year that made him #1 pick. Just so much up in the air for next year. What if we win 4 games and have the 3rd pick and Maye and Williams go 1-2? Then you just waited 2 years of 3 top 10 picks and still don’t have a QB.

red5rocket and cbass like this.
  16. raining threes

Yes some prototypical QB's have failed. That's quite a different statement then the statement that asks how many 5'10 186 lbs QB's have succeeded.

17. raining threes

You can play the what if somebody gets hurt all of the time. What if Mahomes gets hurt?

1. Bottom is how bad do you think the Texans are going to be next year? I want them to be bad so that they will have a high pick in 2024. Lovie, Mills and company pretty much assures that this happens if they're brought back. Which is what I'm rooting for.

2. Do you think that the 2023 QB class is as good as the 2024 class?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Maye a kick arse prospect got his arse handed to him by one of the worst defenses in the ACC, who cares about NFL ready defenses.

Coming out high school these were the recruiting ranks for each player in their senior year
    - Rattler: 0.9942
    - Williams: 0.9969
    - Maye: 0.9724
    - Young: 0.9994

So which class was meant to be the weak one? Who was never ranked as highly as Maye?

cbass likes this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You are being intentionally ignorant.
    Young, Stroud and every other QB have had multiple dud games this season.
    This was Mayes first, and he still is among league leaders in every category.
    We can bring up high school recruiting ranks all you want, but from an NFL prospect point of view, Maye and Williams are expected to be number 1 overall. Scouts have said Maye would be number one overall if he were able to come out now.

Rattler was never talked about as a sure fire can’t miss prospect. He was the “best” in a draft where there ended up being one first round QB and everyone’s pet favorite Willis looks like the worst QB in the league

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And for the 100th time, the two situations aren’t comparable.
    Rattler didn’t put up near the production that Maye or Williams did. And Rattler had no competition in a weak class.
    They aren’t similar in any way