1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Usman Garuba The Next Draymond Green?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CHAMPBOY, Nov 19, 2022.

?

Do you think Garuba is the next Draymond Green?

1. Yes, he will be a defense star for our team in the future.

27 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. No, he is just a high energy guy coming off the bench.

59 vote(s)
    68.6%
  1. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

After watching Garuba last year, I gave up on him and wanted the Rockets to cut him. He looked sluggish, could not shoot and look a step behind going against other NBA players. This year he is playing with energy, physicality and playing with a high IQ. He reminds me of a young Draymond Green with his rebounding, speed and toughness. I believe he can cover 1 thru 5 on the floor, lead a fast break and now can shoot a decent 3 pointers. I believe he can be a core player with the Rockets and maybe a starter. I could see Jabari playing Small Forward, Garuba at Power Forward and Sengun at Center. Garuba and Jabari would help Sengun with his defense issues and we would be a better defense team. Or Jabari off the bench and Garuba starting at Power Forward? What do you think guys I think we have a hidden defense gem on our team.

2. Futron

Futron Member

No, he hasn't punched KPJ in practice yet :D

3. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Looks promising though must improve on his moving screens, jump kicks and encroaching on the jump shooter's landing zone.

BigMaloe, Easy, hakeem94 and 5 others like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Usmand Garun..... I buy it.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. JamalP.

JamalP. Member

I'll think he'll be more of a Luc Mbah clone.

6. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Draymond's ballhandling is probably the second most important thing about him after the defense. It let's him play as an on ball playmaker, offsetting his lackluster defense. Garuba has shown no handle so far so I'll say no.

#6 lakersuck2, Nov 19, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    BigMaloe, hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  7. xaos

xaos Member

8. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

That was the comparison on draft night.

9. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

Also gouging eyes and nut punches.

burlesk, HardenReturns and hakeem94 like this.
  10. LukaMVP

LukaMVP Member

Green's mouth has always been his primary weapon in my opinion, in his prime his defense and play-making came second and third, and now he probably has only his primary weapon left.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't see Garuba with those playmaking skills.

I do hope he can develop to play the PF though. If his 3 keeps falling that would help us quite a bit.

I think he should be looking at PJ Tucker film not Draymond Green.

javal_lon likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

As a defender/shotblocker and scorer/shooter, yes he’s got the potential to be the same or better.

As a passer it’s unlikely but he can be in the second tier of great big man passers in the NBA.

As a leader, yes I can see him pushing his teammates to play better defense and move the ball more.

As a ball handler, no. That however will result in him being a better rebounder, but rebounding is the least important stat after steals.

Overall, yes he can achieve having the same value to a team though with a different mix of strengths/weaknesses. A Draymond without the handle and with a better 3pt shot would have the same net impact on the floor.

Yes I believe he can one day be a DPOY candidate if he improves slowly but steadily. Still too early though, needs to sharpen a lot of his skills and get tested in more difficult games.

Sengun, Jabari and Garuba is an amazing young trio to have for your big man rotation. They’re all 20 or younger and big men take longer to mature. We’re basically covered at PF/C/SG for a long time.

13. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Garuba is talented more than I thought,I believe he can get a defensive rebound, and lead a fast break to the other side of the court. There are times when he gets the rebound he try to lead a fast break but players are telling him to give it our guards. I love Sengun, Jabari and Sengun talent, but Garuba at Power Forward is exciting. He has the physicality, he has the quickness and agility to cover 1 thru 5 position and he is getting better at posting, rebounding and shooting 3s. We really need to develop these players, we have talent but we need to put the correct pieces together. Garuba is a Power Forward not a Center, Porter is a Small Forward or 6th Man not a point guard. Garuba is not negative when playing Power Forward playing defense because he has the agility to cover smaller guys and he could help out a lot with rebounding and blocking shots. He has great length.

Kevooooo likes this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

No. I am confident he won't ever be in GOAT defender discussions like Green has been.

But I won't declare that he will just be a bench guy or 5th starter or whatever. I try not to do that to really young players because more often than not I'm wrong when I do so.

burlesk likes this.
  15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

His bball IQ and hustle seems to stand out more than anything.. But that can be due to his most of his teammates seem to have none whatsoever. But I'm pleasantly surprised in his offensive skills.. Draymond? No ( and I can't stand the national perception of his overrated ass game) .. Come in and give me 20 minutes of impact and it's a win..

hakeem94 and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  16. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

With Silas as his coach he'll be lucky to turn into Hasheem Thabeet.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Draymond’s career is considered to be lackluster defensively??

Whaaaaaa????????

burlesk likes this.
  18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Usman can definitely be a future defensive star. He is high energy, he can pass and he has an effective set shot.

He needs to improve his dribble to be able to bring the ball up court. But I think he can definitely defend 1-5

19. xaos

xaos Member

I haven't seen a lot of the Spurs this year, but Sochan has some Draymond elements to his game.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  20. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Already a better shooter :p

and a far better person

burlesk likes this.