1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. jayfree

jayfree Member

No to a guy that has a low on base% and strikes out a bunch. Rather have Yuli

2. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

The 1 thing I kind of understand with multiple packages is let's say you buy a hat, shirt, and a book. If the book isn't ready until mid Dec to Jan, you don't want to wait for your hat or shirt until the book is ready. People will complain. They should give you the option of receiving multiple packages when an item is ready or waiting for everything and then receive 1 package. And for them, if people choose for 1 package, they'll save money on shipping.

Rock Block and Buck Turgidson like this.
  3. Xopher

Xopher Member

I wish they had those grey ones in flexfit

4. Buck Turgidson

That's the one(s) I'm waiting on.

My brother ordered us various shirts for XMas right after the WS...I waited and bought 4 hats (2 styles) from Dick's online last week, 4 for the price of 2.

awc713, Xopher and Snake Diggit like this.
  5. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

I’ve gotten my hat, three days later one of three shirts. Won't ship the other two shirts or the Alvarez and Peña cards until Dec 7th, what a crock of ****

#1905 Rock Block, Nov 19, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Seriously?

You would rather have Yuli?

Do you understand baseball?

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  7. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Yep, better far better pricing a few weeks a later. I got the grey hat also. I wanted to be sure I got a couple shirts so I was ok with paying more up front but there are some great deals on some merch right now
    [​IMG]

#1907 Rock Block, Nov 19, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. jayfree

jayfree Member

I understand just fine and there are better options than to bring in a new guy that is strike out prone, doesn't get on base with regularity and tries to just hit for power. Yankees are full of those types of players and hurt themselves each time they reach.

If Yuli is not the guy then so be it, but make sure it's an upgrade to some extent and not a filler. We need more Brantley's on the team not more McCormicks.

eliefor3 likes this.
  9. Xopher

Xopher Member

Do you know if they are going to make one?

10. Buck Turgidson

The very few ways you couldn't guarantee an improvement on the 1B production from last season is if you signed Yuli to try it again or gave a AA catcher or a AAAA future-journeyman the job. All of these seem to be popular options on the bbs that I find ludicrous.

*I love Yuli* caveat

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yuli hit for a wRC+ of 85. Yainer Diaz projects for a 114, Matijevic 108, Hensley 103. Diaz’s 114 projection is better than Gurriel’s career wRC+ of 111. Going with internal options wouldn’t be my first choice, but there’s plenty of reason to expect improvement over 2022 Yuli if they do.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I can understand your view.

But I think Walker is significantly better than Yuli and would be a huge upgrade for the Astros because

1) you say you don't want a Strikeout prone player but Walker struck out 19.6% last year that is better than the MLB average of 21.9%

2) Walker hit 36 HR which would lengthen the lineup and add a 5th threat to hit 30+ HR.

3) Walker is projected to make less than $2.5M in arbitration this year. Less than 1/2 of what Yuli would want.

4) Walker is a legitimate gold glove 1B 7 years younger than Yuli who compiled significantly worse defensive stats and ratings than last year.

5) Walker 5.1 bWAR in 2022, Yuli -0.3 bWAR.

13. Buck Turgidson

Yuli-Rookie-Rookie-Rookie-Oft Injured Utility Player

Those are my plenty of reasons to not.

I'm just messing with you, kinda mostly, but there's no way they should go into next season with one of those 5 options as the primary 1B.

(Hensley should get A.Diaz's UT job, btw)

Wulaw Horn and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  14. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Agree his offense dropped off this year but his defense is still second to none. He pulls you out of a lot of innings just with his glove. Not sure it’s worth replacing him depending on his cost.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

My eyes see the same thing

But the metrics don't agree. Yuli's stats were among the worst in the AL. I don't know reason.

1B is an offensive position. The difference between a good and bad defensive 1B is an error or missed throw once every 10 games or more.

.the difference between Yuli and a good 1B offensively is a run every 4-5 games.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  16. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Quit tugging on your heart strings about Yuli. It's about what is best for the team.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I keep having to do this because I can't find the ones I did before. But these are the Position players already on the Active Roster in 2023 (based on Active Roster in the playoffs.)
    Lccks
    1. 2B Altuve
    2. 3B Bregman
    3. LF Alvarez
    4. RF Tucker
    5. SS Pena
    Likely
    6. CF McCorrmick
    7. C Maldonado
    Bench
    8. OF Meyers
    9. IF Hensley
    10. IF/OF Dubon
    Prospects
    11. C Lee
    12. 1B/C3 Y Diaz
    Astros FAs
    1B Gurriel
    C Vasquez
    1B/LF Mancini
    LF/DH Brantley
    UT A Diax

There's really only one active roster spot unless someone else is taken off. It just won't support adding Gurriel and Brantley or either with a FA addition.

18. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

I’m not against replacing him but I’m not against bringing him back either.

jayfree likes this.
  19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

They’ll bring Yuli back at a very team friendly contract. I doubt there’s a team out there willing to pay him enough to leave Houston.

mikol13 likes this.
  20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

We need to make some moves to get better this offseason. The Mariners have already gotten better and quite honestly, each of the 3 playoff games we played against them could have gone either way (especially games 1 and 3). We avoided the Dodgers and Braves in the playoffs and both will be strong again next year. I think we were the best team in baseball in 2022, but the margin isn't as wide as we would like to believe. Our hitting needs to improve... and if we lose Verlander, and don't strengthen other parts of the team, then I don't see us as the favorite to win in 2023.

With that said, I think we get better by promoting Pedro Leon and Yainer Diaz. We need to add at least 1 free agent high impact bat. My preference is Jose Abreu but I'd also be pleased with Josh Bell.

Shark44, Stoic Rob, PiPdAdY33 and 2 others like this.