1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Silas really to blame or is our roster simply not that good?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by a time to chill, Nov 19, 2022.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People just need to be patient. These are very young players and they are playing against the best competition in the world. All these teams struggle until players start getting it after a few years. Some take longer than others.

Give it time and don't stress about it.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, can't run CF with multiple threads 'Need patience, run with patience, patience would be good......' throughout multiple years.

It would sell more T-shirts to hype players I guess.

aaquaa likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Roster is not that good because it is young - they need structure to learn.

Silas is not that good because he provides none of that.

DD

4. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Sil@ss has us 6 games from the 8th seed!:eek:

Clearly ….. he is not the problem…..o_O

Ubiquitin likes this.
  5. Xopher

Xopher Member

I am not piling on KPJ here, but he shows flashes of being a decent PG and then he goes ISO for over half the game. Either this is the plan from Silas or it isn't. If it is, the plan is idiotic. If it isn't the plan then he needs to bench him for a few minutes, coach him, send him back out. He does it again, repeat. The bottom line is this is on Silas. He is not developing players. I am in no way a SOF, but he gets benched for no reason. Jaygup, same thing. We hear all this talk about development, but he isn't putting the kids on the court to develop. They screw up he just benches them. There is no coach over there talking to them going over what they did wrong and then getting them back in the game. If EG is here to mentor the kids then Silas should have him parked next to one of the youngins, when he isn't in the game, going through what he is seeing on the court.

Yes this team is going to be bad no matter who the coach is, but this is ridiculous. This should be the learning year. I don't care if they win another game as long as I see decent rotations, the kids being in the right spots, getting sat when they do stupid ****, being coached while they are sitting, then being put back in the game to see if the coaching worked.

slothy420, Carpe82 and clutchdabear like this.
  6. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We know the Rockets are not the Bucks and Celtics with talent, but our Coach is hurting us. We are suppose to develop our young players this year, not really worrying about wins. We are in a rebuilding stage with this Franchise and our key building blocks are Green, Smith and Sengun. Also, our secondary building blocks are Garuba, Tari, TyTy and Christopher. Porter, Martin and I guess Tate are our older role players.
    * We are not running any offensive plays.
    * We are not running any plays for Jabari, Green or Sengun
    * We are wasting quality time try to train a player to be a point guard that he is not.
    * Jalen needs a veteran point guard to help him through his sophomore year.
    * Jabari needs a point guard to put in a easy position to score to gain his confidence
    * Sengun just need a Point Guard to pass to him when he is posting up.
    * We need to take out Gordon at the end of close game because these young players need that type of experience.
    Play Martin and Garuba more and stop producing these crazy lineups at the end of each game. We have enough talent to win more than two games so far and these players are not being developed at all in the first 15 games.

7. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

People said oh I cant wait to get Poalo oh I cant wiat to get Chet last year and that didnt happen. We need to do the nest with what we have and not expect a #1 pick. Getting rid of SIlas and getting a real coach and moving kpj to the 3 and finding a young pg in a trade would help us move inthe right direction.

Carpe82 likes this.
  8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Silas has said that he feels KPJ doesnt get enough touches. That is a direct quote. He's an idiot.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Silas offense generates a ton of wide open looks.

Going from memory what I posted previously from the NBA shot dashboard - EG shot 96% of his 3 point attempts last season with no defender closer than 4 that's an astounding number when you consider the weapon that EG is as a shooter. Teams don't want to leave him open yet he's getting 96% of his shots on open / wide open looks.

Last season the only player who shot more than 50% of his total shots with a defender closer than 4 feet was .... KPJ.
    Having no defender within 4 feet is as open as it gets in the NBA .... and these numbers were generated with KPJ as the lead guard on the vast majority of nights. Imagine what the offense looks like if Silas has a quality lead guard to work with and Porter moved to the 6th man role he's best suited for.

Jabari is getting a lot of open looks and he's bricking them.

Eason & Nix are nailing their open opportunities and Garuba is even in on the act.

KPJ has fallen off with his 3 point shooting (-0.40 from last seasons totals) as has Christopher & Mathews.

Silas offense is legit .... and I hope he gets a chance next year to show what he can do with a more experienced / talented back court.

HP3, Sweet Lou 4 2 and jim1961 like this.
  10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I really hope he doesnt. I think his offense is as overated as the Knicks fans overated Barrett and just like some ROckets fans are overating KPJ.

11. Garner

Garner Member

Y’all are high if you think this Houston team is anything other than a bottom 7 roster. Pick your coach, this team is still lotto bound.

HP3, Ubiquitin, Corrosion and 2 others like this.
  12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Would be a 25 win team with the perfect coach , perfect scheme, perfect rotation management , and no injuries. What was the question again?

Ubiquitin, Corrosion and jim1961 like this.
  13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The question should be whether Silas is taking the team in the right direction.
    But that depends on what one thinks the right direction is.

1) Winning more games - Fail
    2) Developing Talent - Inc
    3) Positioning us well for Wemby - Sucess

I give Silas till the all star break before I decide on 2).

conquistador#11 and Corrosion like this.
  14. Carpe82

Carpe82 Member

There's not any offense at all and if there's any, then sucks. Silas sucks. He's just a daddy's son. This team sucks and this kind of fans, those who defend this clown, sucks too by extension

aaquaa and Joe Rocket like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You mean Green and KPJ's ISO's generate a ton of wide open shots.

DD

conquistador#11 likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I hope you stub your toe.

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i dont blame Silas for the record (i presume were tanking)....
    i blame him for the lack of overall development... and lack of needed structure for a young squad.
    he's gone down the kpj rabbit hole and nothing seems to matter as much...
    as i've said before - thats what Lucas is for... but no, Silas has gotten too emotionally invested in kpj - and its hurting our overall development.
    Silas has to go - imo... jus too nice a guy... lacks proper focus...

aaquaa likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Lets see your data.

NBA.com stats show something totally different than what you state.

The only guys who shouldn't be shooting those shots are Sengun, Bruno & Garuba ..... the rest of the roster should be taking those open 3's and Garuba is hitting .857% from deep. Maybe he should be taking them too.

Jabari came in supposedly a great shooter .... do you claim he shouldn't take them ?

What about Eason & Nix .... shooting 42 and 44% respectively from 3.

Is Green throwing up shots he shouldn't ?

What about KMJ? he's a career 35% shooter from distance and improvement is critical to his future, should he be taking them?

I guess Eric Gordon shouldn't be shooting those shots either ....

You had your mind made up, stats weren't going to change them.

HP3 likes this.
  19. bmelo

bmelo Member

Nobody expects them to be great. They are just far the worst for third year straight and they look like they just met. Whole team concept is bad both for eyes and for winning. Its on cosching staff. And we see you Lucas hiding behind coach after losses but being loud after any kind of success

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I read and hear this all the time .... but you cannot quantify it and it can't be "proven as fact". It's opinion and quite possibly dead wrong.

Look at Jalen Green - he looks like a completely different player than the kid who began last season and the improvement from the end of the season to now is also very dramatic. He couldn't run a simple pick and roll last year ..... now he's killing it as a ball handler in those situations.

Sengun has improved greatly too.

Nix who everyone loves to hate on is actually putting up solid offensive metrics - if he can cut down on the turnovers he's a legit rotation piece.

KMJ has made dramatic improvement year over year to the point where he's a legit rotation piece and potential starter.

Garuba couldn't get out from under the last chair on the bench last season, what's he doing now?

Jabari despite the negativity is getting great looks at the rim. He's just missing them -

Tari is straight killing it and should be in the top 5 ROY.

Even KPJ, everyone's whipping boy has made improvements in his game, if he could make those mid range shots at a respectable rate thing would be different. Those are more often than not good shots - shots he can make.

The thing is, these kids were not ready for prime time they were far from it, they are heading in the right direction .... they are far from a finished product.

HP3 likes this.