1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ROCKET FAN FALLACIES

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stephen_A, Nov 19, 2022.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

MY TAKE

After reading several posts on here through the years, there seems to be a lot of assumptions and fallacies from ROCKET/NBA fans. This is just my take. I’m not a pro basketball player or coach. Never played at a high level. I only played high school ball, street ball, YMCA pickup and college intramurals & church leagues etc. most of my life. And I’m a huge NBA fan. Feel free to discuss if you disagree.

1. UNATHLETIC PLAYERS: How can an NBA athlete be unathletic when they are an athlete themselves and beat out thousands of other athletes to claim a spot to play the highest level of basketball in the world?

2. SCRUBS/GARBAGE: There are no scrubs or garbage in the NBA. You who likely never played ball in your life would be destroyed by the worst NBA player. These guys worked hard to be where they are at and the term lacks an understanding of the game and used too loosely to describe a player who hasn’t played well in the NBA structure. In reality even “scrubs” can whoop a “star’s” ass in a pickup game. All players have Talent and physical skill and often times it comes down to the cerebral part of the NBA game.

3. ITS ALL ON THE HEAD COACH!: It’s a team game, which means there’s a shared responsibility from management to coaches to players to trainers. Silas like all coaches have a staff including defensive coach (Hollins) and offensive coach (Abdelfattah) to help them strategize. At the end of the day players have to execute and they are making decisions in the field. Its up to them to perform and improvise if they need just like QB’s or boxers etc. That’s why some players are better than others. Its about understanding the game and making decisions on the court. Up to players to do this.

4. OTHER PLAYERS/TEAMS PLAYERS EXCELLED QUICKER THAN OUR GUYS!: It took Booker six years to be on a winning team. His game didn’t necessarily translate into instant wins but with playing with a legitimate vet pg (Rubio) in 2019 and CP3 later helped elevate his game and translated into more wins. It’s about finding the right combinations of players, player development, and establishing a style that maximizes the players abilities. Sometimes its about timing as well. Morant already had a core of players before he arrived including Dillon Brooks and Jaren Jackson and slew of vets and it took them 3 years to win. Our situation is different. It’s not an overnight process.

#1 Stephen_A, Nov 19, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
  2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

My take: I can’t read this ish on dark mode…

3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Then don’t

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Maybe I want to but genuinely can’t because of your choice of purple text?

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Who cares either read it or don’t lol

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yep, that's weird

Tfor3 likes this.
  7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Just trying to change it up to make more attractive to read since attention spans are shorter these days. But realize how old some of you guys might be or choose dark mode well its on you either read or don’t

8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Now you mad nobody can read it lol

don grahamleone, Tfor3 and Dobbizzle like this.
  9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

since you bi+ched so much here you go black text

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Who said anything about mad? People find any way to complain on this site. Last time I checked text color is an option.

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I read in the "original" setting but switched to dark just to see what it looks like. Purple doesn't work against a black background. Don't think it's a matter of "how old some of you guys might be."

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Lol either read or don’t lol

13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Thanks brah!

don grahamleone and Stephen_A like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

no need to be a jerk about it

don grahamleone and harold bingo like this.
  15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I take that back. You just changed it to black… lmfao now it’s even harder to read. Le sigh. I’m too old for this ****, apparently.

16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yeah you are. I changed it

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

You don’t have to say you’re mad to be mad lol

But I did switch to original mode to read your post because it looks like you took some time to do it.

1) you definitely can be unathletic in the nba. It’s basically, not as athletic as everyone else in the nba.

2) just because you’re in the nba, doesn’t mean you’ll cook everyone that’s not in the nba. I remember Jordan Hamilton getting cooked at a gym here in houston. George Hill was in a league this past summer in San Antonio getting cooked. There are some really good guys out there that just didn’t have it structured where they can be seen or make it. Everyone don’t make it out the streets.

3) I agree mostly with this. Our best players are given so much leeway that they just decide to do what they want. When a coach tried to shut them up and make them do what he say, he gets a water bottle thrown at him and CF say he doesn’t know how to coach.

4) I agree with some of this also. Our player development hasn’t been as great as teams like Indy or OKC. Those teams problems are, those players don’t want to stay in that city/organization

Reeko and Stephen_A like this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

this whole thread is mostly 1 big fallacy from OP

when people say a player is a scrub or unathletic, it is relative to their peers in the NBA…c’mon

someone like Gary Matthews will look like a gawd at the local Lifetime or LA Fitness, but in the NBA he’s a bonafide scrub

YOLO, Ancient Moabite, Xopher and 3 others like this.
  19. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Judgemental. Lol that’s your opinion as i just told you I wasn’t upset lol anyway thanks for your response