1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giannis Antetokounmpo appreciation thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JW86, Jul 19, 2021.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Sixers employees and a bench player being dumb

4. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

His excuse is basically that he thinks his job is more important than the Wells Fargo Center staff?

5. omgTHEpotential

I like Giannis, but that's a douchebag move. Arena employees just want to wrap it up as quickly as possible and go home. Who the **** do you think you are to keep them waiting just so you could brick some extra FTs that won't improve your brick laying ass anyway.. You aren't in Milwaukee.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There's no excuse for his rudeness. But the staff (or whoever ordered them to do what they did) were also kind of dense. A reasonable person would just asked Giannis how much time he needed to finish his thing. If it's an hour, I could understand their refusal. It's just two more free throws.

AroundTheWorld and daywalker02 like this.
  7. omgTHEpotential

The goal was probably to shoot some FTs just to have some puff piece written about him "Giannis stayed to shoot free-throws after a tough loss. What a work ethic!" - that backfired.

8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Damn Giannas. Don't you know, always, always say it wasn't ME! Lol

9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Guessing y’all didn’t hear the full story. Giannis was out there first. Montrezl came out to shoot on the other end. Then he tried to get Giannis off the court and he wouldn’t so he took the ball. Giannis went back inside and got two more balls. That’s why they put the later there to prevent Giannis from shooting. Wells Fargo workers already said they did it to prevent him from shooting. Giannis clearly wasn’t trying to knock the ladder over, it just eventually tipped over.

Ubiquitin and Easy like this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I rescind what I said after rereading Giannis's side of the story again. He wanted to make 10 free throws IN A ROW. If I were the staff, I'd think, "Damn, that could take all night!" :D

11. i3artow i3aller

12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Kind of split on this. I mean, would you want your opponents getting shots up in YOUR gym? So I can see how Trez felt he needed to protect his house. It’s kind of a Dick move, but it’s a competitive league and you never want to give a rival “extra practice” on your court. Giannis doesn’t seem like the type to want to make anyone’s life more difficult, but he should recognize he is in a rivals arena. They could play in conference finals. You don’t want him even a tiny bit more comfortable.

im on team Trez here

apollo33 likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

staff is trying to wrap things up and go home…Giannis can go shoot his bricks back in Milwaukee

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Seems weird, I left out that Montrezl took his ball away and then when he came back the ladder guys arrived....

Seemed weird after a win that Philly went the petty path.

Who cares if it was Bobby Portis but it's Giannis so....

Easy likes this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I dunno. If they watched the game, they probably thought him making 10 in a row was going to take a couple of days.

16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Why do I have zero faith in Giannis that he was that polite when he was pushing the ladder away?

It's crazy the amount of spin the media can do pending on whether you're in their good or bad books.

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Arena staff worked on the other net when Trez took Giannis's ball. Then they moved to the net where Giannis was practicing. The arena staff were doing their jobs. Giannis looks immature by shoving the ladder down. He's lucky it didn't fall on anybody.

A reddit thread said there was a season ticket holder event after the game, so arena staff were trying to finish up for that event. Giannis was delaying that from happening.

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Players staying and practicing in a away gym happens more often then you guys think

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Trez was super petty for this, but I can understand the arena workers wanting to do their jobs and get outta dodge. There should have just been better communication from everyone. Arena workers should have just told Giannis to get another minute of shots in and then go somewhere else.

It's not like this was during a timeout where all the factors (crowd noise, people in the stands, adrenaline still in your system) mimicked a real-game situation. If it was, I could understand the "extra practice" logic you're trying to apply here.

But the dude was just quietly practicing FTs after most everyone left. Wasn't demonstrative or disrespectful towards the court, wasn't loud or obnoxious. Just a dude getting some FTs in.

On top of all that, if you're Montrezl, you don't find it odd that literally no one cares, but you? Not Embiid nor another player. Not Rivers nor another person on the coaching staff. Literally no one cares but you. He took Giannis' ball and went to the other side of the court to get shots up. That's just petty.

20. i3artow i3aller