1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

I HATE TO SAY.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Nov 18, 2022.

1. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

I don’t like Porter or his game, but this offense is ugly with or without him. It’s really pathetic to have some nice offensive pieces like Green and Alpy and just not be able to put together a competent offense. Porter wouldn’t have solved anything tonight

Richie_Rich likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Frozen out by Silas.

LeDakota and persian hoopa like this.
  3. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

No one said playing PG is an easy task. But isn’t it ironic that you KPJ Stans keep on saying give him more time after playing PG for two years, but can’t wait to write Green off after his FIRST game as a PG? Where did your patience go?

By the way, the offensive flow, the ball movement in the first quarter was the best I’ve seen for a long time.

Yeah, I’m missing your point, because you don’t have one, just like your other threads. Stop creating useless threads.

BHannes2BHonest and Little Bit like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

When you have 2 SGs that are dominating the ball and one is out, we are gonna struggle.

And losing the best ISO player on your team hurts when you run an ISO heavy offense.

DD

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Just saying but if this team had Myles Turner in the middle, how many more games could we have won? What a difference a SHOT BLOCKING CENTER makes.

Most of our games were lost in the 4th quarter, including this one.

#25 hlmbasketball, Nov 18, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

The ONLY reason I'm saying give him time is because KPJ is not a NATURAL PG, nor is JG but I feel KPJ is a better playmaker.

KPJ needs time to learn the intricacies of the position.

7. DaDakota

BTW - I really feel the Thread title shouldn't be...

"I HATE TO SAY"

But rather

"I TOLD YOU SO"

Seems misnamed, right?

DD

8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Lol. I think Mykes Turner may have had a little to do with that too.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Turner blocked Tari Eason and others a lot more than Sengun.

LeDakota likes this.
  10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

You're right, I rushed to get it posted.

DaDakota likes this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

He took over. I think a player like that makes the Rockets better instantly.

12. DaDakota

Dude, I know....just busting your chops.....you keep on keeping on spitting facts.

DD

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I hate to say... OP's logical thinking ability is at elementary level.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I never thought Green should be or is ready to be the PG of this team, but saying KPJ is the best PG on the team is really irrelevant. There are easily 40 players in the NBA that are better PG's than KPJ and if your PG is that bad after 1.25 years of an entire organization developing you to be a PG with tons of minutes and opportunities to make mistakes if need be, then you must take note. He's averaging 5.8 assists to 4 TO's. By even treadmill team standards, that's unacceptable. You have to be fair and say, that's not where it should be no matter the situation. There are younger players on tanking teams who pick this skill up more easily. It doesn't necessarily mean we pull the plug, but you have to consider it. Is that such a horrible thing?

You have to start looking at other alternatives like: Jalen seems to learn everything really fast. Maybe he can learn to play some backup PG and outpace KPJ in his development by next season? Maybe you give Nix a chance (which we did)? Maybe it's time to pick up a backup PG who can mentor KPJ or a backup PG who can stabilize the team and the other players' development when KPJ sits? Can we possibly acquire a young player like Davion Mitchell who seems to be just as good a defender and is already a better floor general and we sacrifice the above average scoring KPJ brings?

KPJ is improving his overall decision making as an NBA player very slowly and once he's done with that then he'll also improve as a PG which is a whole other layer. Right now he doesn't know how to answer the questions: why should I take any particular decision as the team's PG? Like literally, why should I speed it up or slow it down aside from my inconsistent instinct? What tempo should I choose? When should I attack the other team's defense independent of how I'm feeling today? Can I keep my ego in check if there's a game where it's best if I'm off ball for most of the game? He knows HOW to do everything, but he doesn't know WHY yet.

It's taking time and there's nothing wrong with that. If he gets there, it will be worth it for us. However, it's requiring the sacrifice of a lot of minutes on the court for 4 other players who need to be spoon fed right now so that they can isolate their own development issues. Imagine Jabari going through this poor start and simultaneously having to deal with the PG being ultra inconsistent in feeding him and his passes never landing or bouncing exactly where they should? KPJ's passing (relax, just his passing) reminds me of Westbrook in that his passes are almost always slightly off target and it's common for rookie PG's to think that's not important. That's the opposite of a CP3 whose passes hit every player's hands exactly where they want when they want. It's ok for KPJ to need time to work on this, but at the halfway point of this season we will reached a point at which it's really rare for someone not to have figured out how to be PG. 100 games, high usage and intensive focus from the head coach is enough time to make an assessment of whether a player is a PG. Most PG's drafted out of college will have nailed this down within 30-100 games.

We don't have to take a dump on KPJ to think of creative ways for everyone to succeed. We also don't have to bottleneck the entire team's development by KPJ's development as a floor general. It would certainly help for Green, Nix and Sengun to take as much load off KPJ as possible.

#34 Mathloom, Nov 19, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
  15. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Tonight we missed KPJ scoring, defense and rebounding. However, he is not a point guard. We need to go and get a point guard with our picks and players. KPJ is a proven scorer and we missed him today.

16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

OP isn't very bright.

Argument for KPJ = shhh be quiet give him time he's young and new to this ballhandling thing.

Argument against Green = shhh be quiet he isn't good enough KPJ is better, did you see Green's turnovers?

txtodd, Easy and Futron like this.
  17. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

And the Rockets are still the worst team in the nba WITH KPJ.

txtodd, Joe Rocket and Futron like this.
  18. DaDakota

Changing PGs on this team is a waste of time, until there is a system in place there is not a PG in the world that would make a difference.

Stop blaming the players when the culprit is on the bench with his arms folded wondering why we stink and can't put good players in places they need to be.

DD

19. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Im confused we lose all the time and look worse with KPJ how is losing a game without him an I told you so? So when we lose again with him will that be an I told you so?

20. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Its way more than 40