1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jose Altuve is the best Astro ever

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

What?

2. Buck Turgidson

This is a very good post.

Hey Now! likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Since we first made the postseason in 2015, Altuve's regular season OPS is higher than his postseason OPS. Water usually starts trending close to its level as the postseason sample size gets large enough.

Bagwell was awesome in 01 and 04 before his shoulder fell off.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Exactly. The postseason sample size is so small, it can wildly fluctuate in either direction: a single hot streak, and you're Mr. October; a cold snap, and you're a choke artist. But if you accumulate enough at-bats, your playoffs numbers are probably going to eventually look a lot like your regular season numbers. And what do you know: Altuve's regular season OPS? .830. Postseason OPS? .844. It's true so more often than not.

Bagwell & Biggio were undoubtedly pressing; they did not look like themselves, especially during their first three postseason trips. But, also, the Braves were not going to let Bagwell do damage. In their 3 series between '99-'04, when Bagwell was still an offensive force, he totaled 56 PAs against them and walked 13 times (+ 1 HBP). They very clearly knew how dangerous he was.

And! One more thing... Between '99-'04, across 87 plate appearances, Bagwell slashed .275/.425/.420/.845. And if you extract '99 (in which he didn't hit but was on base six times in 3 games), he slashed .304/.426/.482/.908 in '01 & '04 in 68 plate appearances. And if you're screaming CHERRY PICKING!!! Yeah; I am! That's the point! These are incredibly small sample sizes.

Anyway, IMO, Bagwell's postseason failures are more team-related than individual - he was likely, statistically, better than people remember (though, to be clear, not good). I think he was also pulled down a bit by Biggio, who was significantly worse (though, again, you can extract good series - Biggio was excellent in the 2004 NLDS)

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Thanks. Broken watch, and all...

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Altuve is trending on Twitter due to a Gammons article.

desihooper likes this.
  7. Yordan The Great

And it sheds a light that shows that Altuve is the ultimate teammate, even if it meant be was not going to clear his own name.

King1 and desihooper like this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

In the case of the Rockets, its pretty easy to make the case Hakeem was their best player. Easy.

But with the Astros, there is no such player, IMO.
    There were so many great players over the years.
    But no one guy clearly rises above the rest.

9. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Hakeem was the one we remember the most fondly, but there are a few I could make an argument for. Clyde (my personal first choice) springs to mind as do Yao, Malone Rudy, and Elvin.

10. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, if this is any indication, 'Tuve should be a lock for the HoF!
    Go 'stros!!

RunninRaven and King1 like this.
  11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Clyde, Yao, and Rudy are so far behind Hakeem they may as well not be playing the same sport (Yao moreso due to longevity than the other two). Elvin was really good, but not on the level of Moses or Hakeem. Moses is at least close to Hakeem's level, but spent a lot of his career on other teams (as did Clyde). Hakeem is really the only choice.

red5rocket, juicystream and Houstunna like this.
  12. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I have 3 game used Altuve jerseys from 2017. There isn't any sewing or anything questionable. They are significant jerseys and I would be able to tell

13. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

To each his own. To me nothing compares to watching Drexler play. Rudy's coaching years count. Yao's injury is the only reason he is less highly esteemed than Dream. I will not argue against you over Hakeem. He is very deserving of your adulation.
    Back to baseball.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I expect this to be very controversial given the still unsettled state and history involved in the former... (and i'm in no way taking a side, yet)...

Minute Maid Park is the most successful sports venue in Houston history and has surpassed the Astrodome in terms of creating memorable moments (which leads to generational nostalgia) given the last 20+ years of Astros regular season and playoff success.

Also, to note.. the Astros called the Astrodome home for 35 years. Minute Maid Park just finished its 23rd year.

By the time the Astrodome was in its 23rd year, it was in the midst of undergoing the god-awful renovation for the Oilers and was definitely showing its age. I don't think the Astros will be demanding a new stadium in just over 10 years... (if anything, they're going to build up the surrounding area that the Astros now own).

Nook and msn like this.
  15. CrazyJoeDavola

Huh? The only reason?

Hakeem was an MVP (1 official, one stolen by some guy from the Navy)
    Hakeem was a Finals MVP (twice)
    Hakeem was a DPOY (twice)
    Hakeem is the all time leader in blocked shots

Pre 90s, he was known as Akeem "The Team" Olajuwon. Does Yao "The Team" Ming sound right to anyone?

I love Yao, but he was nowhere near Hakeems league. Not even close, for many more reasons than listed.

red5rocket, Houstunna and King1 like this.
  16. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Let's not forget altuve has had alot more protection in the line up. I think bags knew he had to try to make something happen and he had to try to swing at pitches he usually would not have bc he knew he couldn't let the other team pitch around him.

the shark likes this.
  17. msn

msn Member

Trolling? Because I dared express a different opinion? What was rude or below the belt about my post? I will carry on in these conversations, and I will continue to express my point of view respectfully.

If you don't like it, the ignore button is all yours.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I always thought aberrant better playoff numbers simply meant he was a slacker during the regular season. See Reggie Jackson.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The Astrodome.is the most successful sports venue in Houston and I doubt anything will ever change it

- First domed stadium in world history

- hosted TWO of the city's sports teams for years

- Hosted sports those same teams didn't play (NBA All-star, and Sex Battle)

- Introduced the term "turf"

I'd rather watch a game @MMP and MMP is much better aesthetically, but the Astrodome is arguably the best building in sports history. Perhaps Roman is a better option