1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Jabari Smith Jr is looking a lot like his Cousin Kwame Brown

SamFisher likes this.
  2. MystikArkitect

Our player development 2 years running has been....interesting to say the least. Two high upside players drafted last year. One was relegated to being in the corner for 3 months and the other was glued to the bench. This year we have another draft pick being.....relegated to the corner for a month now. Seems like Detroit/Orlando/Indy are more of the belief that they should let their rookies play through their mistakes. The Rockets brass...man I don't even understand this development. Jabari was shooting 15x a game early on and now he's at like 4-8 shots a game. Last year Jalen would barely touch the ball and looked like the worst rookie. Then lo and behold he got more touches and looked way better.

Bo6 likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Look no further than Jabari Senior, don't have to go the distance with his cousin.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's also age management and the right timing.

If you surrounded Harden with then 26 year olds, you would have had some decent veterans who are now 28 and 29 guiding the 19 year olds.

Sans Wood who doesn't qualify as a role player.

I feel sometimes this organization does things as follows 'One step forward, one step back, another step back, one step forward.....'

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I was thinking in terms of being a high pick. Hard to believe it looked like he'd go #1 and Banchero #3.

Yung-T and daywalker02 like this.
  6. MystikArkitect

Wood is like KPj. A fringe role player masquerading as a starter. If he's one of your 2 or 3 best players, your team probably sucks. Wood isn't a 6MOY caliber player. Neither is KPj. Eventually Wood will find his role reduced and he'll be out of the league with nary a whimper like Chandler Parsons before him. Mavs fans are going to slowly figure that out. Was a total shocker to see the Mavs lose without Luka and still see Wood "get his". Box score watchers think Wood is good because he can get 24/10 like they think KPj is good because he averages 19/6/6. I think EGo was supposed to be the "mentor" but dude doesn't care. We need a more firey PG guard in his twilight years like CP3 or even Schroeder. EGo just wants to be gone.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

OK.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Every. Single. Thread. About. KPJ. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

[​IMG]

Bo6 likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

All of this is dependent on who was picked after, and if Horry did not have as long of a career as he did with several high profile franchises he would not be as celebrated.

Horry was a high-end role player who played with several top 10of all-time NBA players, that has a lot to do with his career.

Would you really be happy is Smith ended up averaging 7 points a game?

Caesar likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He does have an NBA body you act like he got Holmgrens body and his body has nothing to do with missing wide open shots.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is not true at all most people consider Kwame Brown a bust and he always gave effort.

Mobley has lived up to everything he was billed as, his defense was the selling point.

Mobley averaged 15 8 and 3 on 56% with GREAT defense Smith has a long way to go there.

The fact that we are questioning if he gets his 3pt shot down should be terrifying, it was the sole reason he was picked where he was.

12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Didn’t say effort man i’m talking about on court performance with data to back up. Brown averaged 5.5 rebounds his whole career and couldn’t do things on the defensive side that Jabari can. Smith has only played 15 games or so in the NBA but still avg 9 rebounds already. I encourage you to watch the game tape on Smith. Seriously. He cuts off defenders trying to dribble drive beating them to the spot. He challenges three point attempts and closes out well. He has active hands. Gets blocks. Very alert. I’m not sure why you are so high on Mobley saying 15 pts is exactly what people expect. According to whom? As I said if he gets his three down he is a solid 2 way player something kwame brown never was. I got nothing against you and don’t know you as a person but seems like you just argue for the sake of arguing or to prove something to me lol. Chill dude

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

Depends as i said on getting that all time great, then i'd be happy with Horry. High level role players have to come from somewhere(usually lottery picks) and you can't win championships without them. But, yeah, even if it's too early to call it...Green or Bari looking doubtful as the all time greats. Even super early, these other guys showed you sure shot future HOF path. HS Kobe got a prime Shaq to go through growing pains so that's all time unfair like rookie Magic getting prime Kareem. KG was already the big ticket by 19. Luka? Insane. Zion? Still looking HOF. Ja? MVP race. Trae Young got you 30 and 9 and a playoff run year 2. Book got 70 year 2? I mean i guess Greens slightly behind Book in progression. Beal, LaVine are nice projections, but they don't move the needle unless they're #2's or #3s. I'm afraid right now, we're Poole/Wiseman with no one else. We're Book/Ayton Suns without the foresight to get the coach and risk signing a former star veteran.

Adding another nice prospect next year just prolongs our residency in the slums.

jiggyfly, Yung-T and daywalker02 like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

To be honest we went from an all line backer formation to an all skinny formation in no time.

We can't keep drafting in extremes.... All KG and KD skinny

Like we used to draft all undersized forwards.

They don't know what balance looks like if it hit them.

Yung-T and Caesar like this.
  15. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

To be fair, he's got a real tall and lanky, 19 yr old's body. Not close to an "NBA" body at this point obviously. He will in the next couple of years. Same for most.

Yung-T likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If Smith hits his shot (which most people still believe he will), he can easily score 15 points and pull 8 rebounds a game.
    I think Green has the potential to be the guy, but obviously still a long way to go. We will know by the next season. Even if he ends up at the level of Booker, which I think is likely, he will still be a nice 2nd guy.

Let's assume Green is the franchise player, Jabari can be a good #2 or #3 option. If you look at recent champions, most of them only have one superstar plus a bunch of good role players. If Jabari turns out to be an elite 3&D guy, we have a chance to compete down the road.

And if we get a top 2 pick again next year...

Stephen_A, conquistador#11 and Caesar like this.
  17. i3artow i3aller

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

That's one of the things that stood out most to me after the early hype posts about Bari might be a 7footer, Bari looks like a straight up teenage child on the court and to my eyes feels short also. It's weird. Looking at him, he feels like a 6'8 190lb SF, yet someone like Tatum at 6'8 210 to my eyes looks huge for a SF like 6'10 240 on the court for some reason. Tall, long and built solid. It's really strange.

Bari will fill out no doubt. I like his attitude to push himself and i think we'll always be able to rely on his defensive effort.

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

Some optimism feels nice. I tend to slip into the dark quite a bit when it comes to the Rockets. I see us being worst place last 2 years and no #1 picks to show for it, so my pessimist outlook is already thinking last place = losing out on Wemby who i've already convinced myself is the modern day evolution of Kareem or even Scoot as the next CP3(trade some passing for more elite explosion). It's heartbreaking in the moment to miss the top prospects, but at least many other fans wish their team had Green and Bari as prospects.

Easy likes this.
  20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Uh what did curry do in his second year? Now he is legendary lol. What are u guys talking about all time greats and assessing players based on points in the playoffs or highest scoring games etc? Sorry bro but your argument has logical issues.