1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 8, 2021.

1. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Masataka Yoshida is a two time batting champion in Japan with plans to post this winter. He plays left field.

red5rocket, Nook and raining threes like this.
  2. Jeremy Williams

Sounds perfect!

3. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I have no idea how much it might take to sign him but he is a player we could use in Houston if there is interest there.

4. Buck Turgidson

Lee would be fine with the glove in a backup role.

Y.Diaz needs time in AAA to be competent with it. Or time at 1B/DH for his bat, whatever they want him to focus on, he's not ready for either yet.

#2704 Buck Turgidson, Nov 14, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  5. Buck Turgidson

There's a young guy from Japan who might get posted...

Nook likes this.
  6. Qan

Qan Member

What's chance Astros even get chance to talk to Yoshida? Lol

When has Astros ever were in when these star players from Japan/Korea come over?

Yordan The Great likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

IIRC if he's posted by his JPL team, it's a blind bid on the player, everyone can offer, biggest offer wins (and a percentage goes back to his JPL team).

Don't quote me on this, it may have changed recently.

When they're a true international free agent is when they get to pick and choose the offers from whatever teams offer a contract.

eta: Murakami is the player you need to be watching for in the next couple of years. Sasaki is the pitcher. They're both under 22 and badasses.

8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

So only France got protected. I was shocked.

4 open roster spots for FA

But I also thought/think Bielak and James are pricing themselves out and could be DFA or non tendered.

Murray surprised me ( I bet he is kept if Click is still here) and I bet he gets selected.

Julks is the only other guy I think may get picked. He has the right level of success, versatility, and experience to be taken by a non-contender and stick.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

James is making 800K and Bielak a little less than that. Not the kind of salaries that necessitate a non-tender. If a space on the 40 man roster is needed, I could see James being DFA'd. However, I think Bielak is the kind of guy that you need in AAA in case of injury. He eats a few innings with slightly below average results, allowing the team to get through the season. The epitome of the 8/9th starter. Kind of what I expect from France.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Be finished the year ROCKING as a reliever.

.210. .315/.344/.654. 11.0k /9 as RP

.245. .321/.437/.758. 11.1k/9 as SP

I expect him in the bullpen

11. Buck Turgidson

ETA:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...taka-murakami-hopes-to-make-jump-to-mlb-soon/

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...apanese-baseball/roki-sasaki-baseball-future/

Marteen likes this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

https://www.mlb.com/news/afl-perfor...gs-pipeline-inbox?partnerID=web_article-share

Schreiber is a sleeper. BA rated him as having the best power in Houston’s system, and he’s a solid defender in LF, RF, and 1B; he’s even seen time in CF (although I don’t think he’s viable there). I have never thought much of him as a prospect because he strikes out a lot, didn’t come with a pedigree, has been oft-injured, doesn’t play up the middle, and has been old for every level he’s been at. But he obviously can hit for power based on these reports so it goes to show that every prospect has potential.

13. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I think he plays mostly at 1st base next year as he did in Arizona. I he can control the strike outs his defense makes Matijevic extraneous. do you know if he will play winter ball too.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think Adam Duvall is a decent ceiling comp for Schreiber. I don’t know if he will play anymore this year.

prospecthugger likes this.
  15. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

I would be shocked if Julks isn't picked. He was close to getting called up for us this past season. Makes no sense not to protect him, if we needed the spot later we could have always released or traded him afterwards.

Our "GM" is not off to a good start this off season.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

WTF?

raining threes likes this.
  17. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Murray was the more confusing one to me. Weird to trade for a guy and immediately expose him to be taken in the rule 5.

Not losing any sleep over Julks. He wasn't going to get any run on the Astros near term, no reason to burn a 40man spot on him. As with any rule 5 pick, there's a decent chance he'll be back.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros did the same with Diaz. I get the Astros are likely to add 3-4 guys in free agency, but Murray would not have been my choice to leave off. I had assumed Murray might be an emergency starter this coming year.

19. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Guess you were right, it looks like the Astros will non-tender Josh James

20. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Don't lose any sleep over Murray either, our GM did just fine on him. He is unlikely to reach his ceiling and even if he does his ceiling is that of a sixth or seventh starter. He was a bad pickup to begin with.