1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ - Just let it fly baby!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 16, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Both of those are good shots......any b****ing about them is that you just don't like the player taking it.

DD

2. i3artow i3aller

Who is b****ing about them?! :confused::rolleyes:

3. DaDakota

Well if you were in Rocket's watch you could hear it....or read it in the channel in real time.

Like....no no no....YES!

That is why I charted the shots, I suspected that my bias and others was causing some complaining that was due to bias not to actually the shots.

A good shot is a good shot, I will give you a non-KPJ example....with about 3 minutes to go, Jabari brought the ball up stopped at the 3pt line and let it fly......now, for me, I am like....that is NOT smart, we need to be working the clock, but for the exercise, that was a wide open look.....so it was scored as a GREAT SHOT - I am trying to remove bias - and just track whether we are getting good looks or not, and we are getting very good looks 75% of the time - which means we are just missing too much - which you can attribute to age.

These shots in 2 years will be falling more regularly, and that simple fact will take us further than all the b****ing about who is and isn't a PG, it is simply we are missing too many good looks right now.

DD

Kevooooo likes this.
  4. i3artow i3aller

I thought you planned on steering clear of Rockets Watch in order to avoid the bias that goes on in there as you tracked shots? Guess not.

5. DaDakota

I watched it but silenced the stage so as not to hear the commentary, I only listed to Ryan and Craig....but I could still read the chat....it was eye opening.

I would record the shot - and then read the chat - and you could see people whining about KPJ at every turn, when sometimes they were WIDE OPEN SHOTS......and good shots....for him to take....

Meanwhile Jalen could dribble the ball off his foot and turn it over and nothing....or he could fly into a massive crowd with a poor shot and literally not much - now - that is not to say Jalen took bad shots, by and large he took good to great shots...same for KPJ - but people wanted Jalen to shoot, and didn't want KPJ to shoot...

People were even ok with Jabari shooting - which were primarily very good shots...he just isn't hitting.....which is weird.....but it is again, people's bias coming through.

A narrative around KPJ is causing people to over criticize him, and to micro analyze his play.

DD

Kevooooo and O-dawg like this.
  6. i3artow i3aller

Leaving the chat up and open while only muting Clutch doesn't strike me as the best way to avoid bias o_O:D

7. DaDakota

Sure it does comments trail the marking of the spreadsheet....

DD

8. i3artow i3aller

By keeping the chat up you're still clearly being influenced by the commentary throughout the course of the game :confused::rolleyes:

9. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Great thread DD. Once again thanks for letting it fly. My first response to the thread is "NO. I need this season to mean something!." But then by the end of the second page I'm like "LET IT FLY!"

But I think the chaos organizes only as Jalen is allowed to be in the PG seat and KPJ the SG. I mean, it's gonna organize anyway, I think, but itd sure be nice if there were a few more quarters of less chaos and more organizing.

DaDakota likes this.
  10. DaDakota

Not at all.....I am a stats guy a good shot is a good shot. If commentary influenced or bothered me, I wouldn't still be here.

DD

11. Germanturk

Germanturk Member

Dude if you believe me or not the Rockets are in my heart if Alpi plays here or not. Thats not the reason, why i am saying this about KPJ. I am from Europe and we hate player like him, who think "i am the best" and never pass the ball.
    This Team will be a Play Off Team if they trade KPJ for a real good PG. Its really sad that hey didnt took Donovan Mitchell! If he played for this Houston team i think Houston might be a Play Off Team.
    This Team needs a really PG and Playmaker not KPJ!! This guy is playing only for his self like Russel Westbrook. But Russel is the better player. So i am really mad about how he is playing Basketball cant believe that some guys like what is doing on the court!!

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Who said those were bad shots? The video was giving him props

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  14. DaDakota

Maybe not here, but plenty of folks were on Twitter etc.....

The funny thing is that I don't even like KPJ's game that much - I agree with a lot of what folks are saying but I hate HATE bullying of him and his game or people that take it too far.

He is not THAT bad, and clearly the org sees something so I am tracking shots - and whether our horribly looking offense is generating good shots....RESULTS ONLY type of way.

And in the 1 game I tracked we got 72% good looks.

DD

#134 DaDakota, Nov 18, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
    Verbal Christ likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

16. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Satan Porter Jr in the record books!!!!!!!

DaDakota likes this.
  18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Easy likes this.
  19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

BAM!!

DaDakota likes this.
  20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member