1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The incredible transformation of Justin Brooks Verlander

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Yordan The Great, Jul 9, 2022.

1. Major

Major Member

He sat out because of an injury he got for the Astros. Not sure why he'd be expected to take a discount for doing his job - it's not like he injured himself.

2. Qan

Qan Member

No player should be that loyal to a team to willingly leave millions on the table....unless your name is Tom Brady. I'm not surprise Verlander wants 130/3...he believes he's worth that much..so good for him.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

If he leaves for more money good for him. I wouldn’t be mad at any of y’all for getting paid. That’s silly. I think he’ll be worth the contract he gets but not every team can make that gamble. A Scherzer deal is a massive contract. Who you should be mad at is the Mets owner who raised the bar that high.

4. Yordan The Great

Yet he seemed to do just that signing a deal he did this past off season. There were a lot of people stunned that he resigned with the Astros for that amount. They thought for sure he was signing elsewhere.

5. Major

Major Member

39 yr old coming off of TJ surgery and 2 years of not pitching and he got $25MM guaranteed with the option to leave to get paid more if he was good, or $25MM more if he sucked as long as he wasn't injured. That was about as much as he was going to get anywhere.

6. jayfree

jayfree Member

If Crane feels that the Astros are only a few years left on this championship window before everyone's contract is up or goes sky high then he may very well consider Verlander at 3 years. If that were the case I could see DeGrom being dangled to come here as well and put us in a very elite category of all time. Run it back with minor upgrades to the offense and see where it goes.

However, if Crane seriously believes that this window can last much longer than 5 years then I'm not so sure he breaks the bank like that for Verlander.

Either way, he would need a contingency plan to replace JV whether he leaves or resigns but gets injured down the road (or even under performs)

Kim likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I was stunned. If I recall, the original reporting was a player option without it needing to vest. I didn't think it was a discount. Luckily, the Astros got about as good as one can expect out of that deal.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

It is funny that Tom Brady said he could afford to give a hometown discount to the Patriots because the Gazelle made so much money it wasn't an issue.

Kim likes this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

This award show is taking forever, but I sort of like it. Let's go!

10. the shark

the shark Member

So Alcantara wins the National league CY.

Didn't realize that the Marlins got him from a trade with the Cardinals back in Dec of '17. They traded Marcell Ozuna for him. However, the Marlins also received Zac Gallen in this trade (who was 5th in the voting for CY this yr).

Alcantara and Gallen.....are you F'n kidding me!!!

I bet the Cardinals would love to have a do over on this trade. This is one of the reasons it blows my mind that people on here are willing to include Brown in potential trades. Especially what we've seen from Brown thus far.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Congrats Justin

IowaAstro, mikol13, arkoe and 10 others like this.
  12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

But then there are also ppl that wanted to trade Tucker while Whitley was UNTOUCHABLE…

13. htownbball

htownbball Member

2 WS championships, 2 Cy Youngs...if we bring him back for 2-3 more years and he retires in an Astro uniform, do yall think we eventually retire his number?

14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

If Tom Brady was still married / still had a happy marriage, I'd say he'd have the the best life of a sportsman, ever. But Verlander, with his MLB accolades and being married to Kate Upton?

Whew, that might be number one, now.

16. Qan

Qan Member

I say Tom Brady probably feels more free than he has in awhile. Playing till he's 50.

arabrocket likes this.
  17. jayfree

jayfree Member

I see 2 sides to this 3/$130 mil deal.

I know he wants Scherzer money, but Max will be 39 on the last year of that contract while JV is 39 now.

The flip side is JV didn't really play for 2 years and has been rebuilt with a new arm, so he very well may be pitching like a 37 year old with 3 years of tread left on his tires.

I'm going to go with the latter and say JV can pitch well for the next 2 years and hope that he has something left for 2025. Will the next two years be worth that third if we can get to the World Series again?

Xerobull likes this.
  18. TheSource

TheSource Member

Just heard from a reliable source that JV has an offer for 42 million per year not sure how many years offered though. Also, heard Jim Crane is not going to pay anything near that…..obviously.

IBTL likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We should. Even if he doesn’t come back we should

20. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Who’s your source?