1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ - Just let it fly baby!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 16, 2022.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

This is a weird hill to die on. I honestly think you're joking right now

groovemachine and kubli9 like this.
  2. i3artow i3aller

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I completely agree with DD. KPJ needs to take it up a notch so that he either plays better or forces Silas/FO to hold him accountable for not "getting the ball moving from side to side, but also making sure that everybody else is getting involved, too."

I'm doubtful KPJ would play better with letting it fly.

DaDakota likes this.
  4. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That last game by KPJ was a death knell, he’s at the bargaining step of the grieving process.

King1 likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is a pretty good breakdown of 1 play, but I disagree that the shot was poor, he got a wide open look 8 feet from the basket - it is the videographers bias that he run it all the way to the rim and go from there, but KPJ decided to cut it short, much like CP3 does (Much more effectively) - so while the videographer is right, he is also incorrect in that it was not a bad shot or a bad possession it resulted in a quality look, which was missed.

DD

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. DaDakota

I am going to chart the Rockets game tonight and I am not going to be on the cool Rocket's watch to avoid the bias that goes in the chat between all of us, myself included. I plan to pop in at half time and the end with the unbiased stats from this exercise in shot creation.

I want to take my and other biases out of whether something is a good shot. Here are the 4 metrics for a shot.

1. Great shot - wide open in range
    2. Good shot - mostly open in range
    3. Meh shot - In range guarded
    4. Poor shot - heavily guarded or not in range

Then track the results of those shots.

1. Made
    2. Miss
    3. Foul drawn

What I am going to do this for is to see if we are taking good shots......which means this is a matter of the players just getting better or us getting better shooters.

As an example, the shot above, where KPJ drove, and cut into the middle of the lane would be categorized as a "Good Shot" mostly open and in range.....now i may want him to play it differently and attack the rim, but that is bias - there is no right or wrong, just bias - if it results in a good shot.

Thoughts?

DD

King1 and Verbal Christ like this.
  7. i3artow i3aller

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This system disregards the skill of the player. Open 3 point attempts for Sengun or open mid range pulls for poor mid range shooters are not good shots.

9. DaDakota

I am assuming that a player in the NBA should be able to hit a 3pt shot.......if it is wide open - otherwise bias is involved.....but this exercise is not about the team NOW but whether a mature team in say 3 years that gets these shots would do well?

We know Sengun is a poor 3pt shooter now, but I am sure in 3 years he will be at least average. So it is eliminating bias on whether shots are good or bad by assuming that all shots and shooters are equal on all shots......

If we add in the nuance of "Is it a good shot for X player, the stat is tainted with bias"

DD

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

He says its Nix, but where are his numbers coming from? According to bballref https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2023.html ... Alperen Sengun is way ahead of the starters in offensive rating. Nix clocks in with an orating of 97 unless bballref hasnt been updated which I highly doubt.

11. DaDakota

Did you watch the video, that is what Silas wants.

DD

12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

OP is the true definition of a player only fan - just wants to see his boy gets his. Nothing else matters. Funny he’s been talking down XOFs for years.

13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I’ll save you the time, this team takes overwhelmingly bad shots :(

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

With our shooters, we need our facilitators to be a scoring threat first.....draws the gravity of the defense (more than one defender).

Creates open players.....skip passing along the perimeter.

But right now....Jabari and Sengun will get the shot and miss. Like starting the wave at a sporting event and one section of the bleachers doesn't stand. Ends up looking bad.

I asked for KPj and Green to keep dribble alive and take it to the baseline and hit cutters by design. KPj did just that vs Clippers that night....but no
    one slashed to the basket.

KPj needs to learn to buzz the tower pass.
    Defenders don't like to bring their hands quickly to their scalp. There is natural hole to pass thru above the opponents hairline.

If you are dealing with a 7 footer just pass under their arms. Fake above neck pass first.

15. xaos

xaos Member

Okay I think your inverse jynx is working

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

DD,
    Green, Sengun, Jabari, Tari. We need to be done catering everything to KPJ. Let’s support him by letting him play his natural position.

kjayp likes this.
  17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

we're trying to develop young talent and mold them into a team...

and DD just wants kpj to go rogue and chuck...

that doesnt sound very beneficial to our teams development - or smart regarding kpj's already tarnished rep (for the sake of his future career)...

... imo at least... lol

King1 and J.R. like this.
  18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

J.R. likes this.
  19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I did buy I don't put any stock in what Silas wants. He's the worst coach in the NBA (you agree here too) and he's emotionally invested in KPJ

persian hoopa likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If KPJ figures this out he'll be playing in the all-star game.

ApacheWarrior likes this.