1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

College game is different. Guys in the pros are more physical driving into you to get contact fouls or to bump you off. Jabari has to learn to be more aggressive and not let guys get to their comfort spots. He needs to stick to them as well. Often times he needs to follow through after an initial move as he raises his arm too late like with Marcus Morris the other night who drove on him but stopped and did fadeaways or pull up J on him.

roslolian likes this.
  2. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

The last time I criticized Jalen, he went out and showed some promise.

Here I am for Jabari.

Because we are starting to get worried about the performance part of the equation. Effort, we´re fine. But results, we need something else. We don´t have to bring specific names. let's just say there is pressure coming from above and below the draft list.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Good Times

Good Times Member

Has there ever been a player with as little handles as Jabari coming into the league and improving to become average or better? I would think he would first need the mentality to drive in order to improve on it but that doesn’t look like it’s part of his game. I’ve watch Brandon Ingram grow over the years and even though he couldn’t really drive past anyone during his rookie season it wasn’t because of a lack of trying. I’ve seen a game where Ingram in his rookie year turned the ball over 4 times in a row trying to drive in and despite that continued in that game until he got by his man. Green was the same way last year. I don’t see that in Jabari and I don’t think its a skill you can add at 19 unless you just started playing recently (such as Hakeem for example). But he can still be a great 3 and D which we greatly need with players like Sengun and Green.

jiggyfly and Yung-T like this.
  4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I agree with you. Thompson has better handles at this point in his career and perhaps a little better during college but not by much. Thompson was never a dribble drive guy or one on one player. And you have to take into account he had 3 years at Wash State vice Jabari’s one year at Auburn. Thompson continued to work on his game throughout his collegiate and NBA career. There’s no reason Jabari can’t be better at his handles and driving and finishing at the rim if he continues to train to these deficiencies. The two players are very similar in their skill set and statistically in their freshman year in college. I think that’s intriguing.

5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Taking people off the dribble or handling the ball is both style of play and mentality. Not all players play like this. There’s plenty of players who don’t handle the ball or play one on one dribble drive etc. (Ariza, Rashard Lewis, Klay, even Stoyakovich) weren’t great handlers or dribble drive guys but can get the paint when they have an opening. We can just hope Jabari can be decent at getting to the paint and finishing when he has a seam or opening.

#3185 Stephen_A, Nov 16, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    roslolian likes this.
  6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Just wanna dampen expectations because I don't think Jabari will ever get to that level.

But yea, he should improve somewhat and I really hope he at least develops a dependable drive so that he can still score on nights where his shot isn't falling.

jiggyfly and Stephen_A like this.
  7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Also Dirk

Stephen_A likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This has always been a fear about Smith, he just seems like a guy that overthinks things.

I think the pressure of where he was picked is getting to him as opposed to the other guys, he probably also pays a lot of attention to social media, which can't be a good thing for him.

roslolian likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Smith was never an elite shooter from 3 in college just look the numbers.

Trey Murphy shot better than him in college, and he is 6'8.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is only 19, so there is time, Jalen struggled early too......

DD

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Also Garuba

DaDakota likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's not elite for college, a lot of guys shoot around 41% in college.

Elite would be in the 95%.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No, that's not elite and the 3 point shot was not as practiced then as it is now.

Elite is top 5% if not top 3%.

He was a very good 3 point shooter not elite.

Curry is an elite NBA 3 point shooter do you think Smith was the Curry of college?

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We all know you’re pre-draft disposition on Jabari. He is 19, he has shown flashes as a 3-d guy we all wanted. He should be starting all year just like Jalen. He might not be a superstar, but just because you are picked 3rd does not mean you have to be. In my opinion, we have our superstar in the making in JG. Jabari just needs the experience and muscle to become a great 3-D player. I am confident that will happen over time. He has the work ethic and he has a nice stroke which will continue to improve. He’s less than 20 games into his career for goodness’ sake.

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't think he's a multitasker.

16. Asian Sensation

Not even a one trick pony.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.nba.com/news/kia-rookie-ladder-nov-16-2022-edition

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What was my draft disposition on Jabari?

Its not hard to get some of it because a poster has it permanently and it was not a bad one, just a bit cautious.

WTF does being 19 have to do with anything, Banchero is 6 months older than him and has shown to be a much better player.

Shaedon Sharpe is 19 and has not played organized ball in about 2 years, yet his numbers are way better.

I don't really care if you believe all of this but don't act like everybody should have this belief it's a greater chance of Smith busting that him becoming this great 3-D player just going by history alone.

If he has such a great work ethic why is so deficient on putting the ball on the floor or creating shots for himself, why has he not worked on that part of his game, Banchero and Chet sure did at 19.

Yung-T likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So how many seasoned point guards are there that you think he will play with any soon?

Why should we be happy that we need to wait to see until he can get this seasoned pg?

Why can't we critique him on the simple fact he can't hit open shots at a high rate?

#3199 jiggyfly, Nov 16, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wow you actually doubled down.