1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

While this is always a possibility, it's something that people should only conclude after a 2-3 seasons of play, not less than 20 games into the rookie season. That said, I don't believe that will happen here as he was always super elite at shooting. Shooters can slump, but they don't just permanently forget how to shoot.

clutchdabear and nolimitnp like this.
  2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Just because you believe all of your beliefs does not make them so. Considering you are one of the most argumentative people on this bbs, that statement from you is off key.

Smith was an elite perimeter shooter in college. Sucked from two.

I agree Green had flashed more at thus pint last year.

If I go back to what I saw from Smith in summer league. When he was matched up against people where the physical discrepancy was not as massive, d
    he defended well.

I don't think some of the perimeter defense that we saw will translate to the NBA. I do think that he has flashed a few times this year especially in regards to weekside shot blocking.

I want to see what this looks like after
    -Better coach and pg
    -15 lbs of muscle and a year of NBA training
    -His jumpshot in year two. Many of these shooter struggle in year one.

I think there is still a lot of room to be a stud. I personally see that as more PF/C than PF/SF. I would love for him to be showing out but I'm not worried..... yet.

clutchdabear and CHAMPBOY like this.
  3. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

I hope it's a slump too. I don't think it's going to take 2-3 seasons to make a call on Jabari though. Most future all-star-level players will at least show you a glimpse of what they could be early on. This board piled on Jalen last year but even in his early games he showed his otherwordly athleticism and offensive abilities, his shots just weren't falling. I don't doubt Jabari can be a good role player, but he REALLY has not shown us anything to indicate he has any elite traits at the NBA level thus far. I hope we see it soon.

I actually worry a bit about his shooting. He is bricking open shots and it's much different rising and shooting over college scrubs vs. NBA-level players. I hope he grows an elite shooter and not just an "elite shooter for a big" hitting 35%.

jiggyfly, gumbleton3 and BigShasta like this.
  4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think Smith is definitely in his own head.

jiggyfly and Stephen_A like this.
  5. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

This is wrong, and a point that most here have not grasped.

Jabari Smith Jr was NEVER an elite shooter period, but he was an elite shooter for his size. There is a huge distinction in these two statements. Compared to the bunches of shooting guards in college with no NBA athleticism/size, he is at most a middle of the pack shooter. Why do we not draft guards who shoot really well? Because they will get overwhelmed by the size, speed, and athleticism of the NBA (also known as game not translating in drafting lingo).

The trouble is that we (and collectively the drafting community) believed that Jabari can translate given that he posses great size and average athleticism for his natural position of SF/PF, but this obviously has not been true. Jabari is likely struggling because he is being overwhelmed by the NBA. Will he translate eventually? Maybe eventually, but this doesn't always happen; that's how draft busts happen.

6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Fair.... He is not elite when compared to guards. Again, I'm still dissapointed to this day about losing Banchero but Smith has a lot of upside.

The only thing that has bothered me so far is his motor and body language. But we are a young **** show.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I hope he doesn't turn into the latter part of Ryan Anderson. Ryno was an elite shooter and then mysteriously totally forgot how to shoot.

At least Smith can defend.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I will hold back judgement on Jabari until we get a coach in here that can run a system that can play to his strengths.

Would I like to see him more active like Eason, yes......and he can do that, but the Rockets are wasting him, and it is Silas fault....

DD

9. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

You are maybe right. The reason I saw Ant as a different tier of player is because he was thrown into a situation which was competitive, and as a result we saw him doing national TV interviews and press conferences of meaningful games, and you could tell he had this swagger about him (real swagger, not just someone like Harden saying the word swagger), he carried himself as a leader and KAT was the opposite who had more years and experience on him, so when you see those two back to back Ant looked very impressive for his age. You can tell he was about winning, and he was the one giving KAT and the other teammates encouragement based on what players on that team were saying, and I found that very rare to see on a competitive team with a rookie and second year player. On paper they look similar, but I did listen to Ant this year say he needs room to work, implying the twin tower experiment is holding him back. I really enjoy Ant's responses in post game conferences, you can tell he is smart and was misread in early scouting. Jalen I am sure will be fine as well, but Ant just seems like has extra grit and confidence that will make for some interesting games as long as hes given the opportunity to do so.

10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Ryno got hurt, then he got old. :(

Easy likes this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Playing with BETTER players is much easier than playing with rookies and young ones....

DD

Stephen_A and studogg like this.
  12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Stay patience, he is a STAR player. I seen all of his SEC games at Auburn, the competition, the crazy talking trash fans at the arenas and everybody (the coaches, the opponents and the fans) knew he was getting the ball at the end of the game, and he still produce. He could not be stopped. Stay patience

[​IMG]

Stephen_A and RocketsTerps like this.
  13. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Hold the phone... you don't consider someone who shot 41% (168 attempts) in his senior year at HS (38% in junior year over 200 attempts) and 42% (188 attempts) in college an elite shooter period? How many players in NCAA history averaged higher than 40%? For reference, Steph Curry averaged 41.2% during his college days.

14. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

especially with two ball dominant guards and a more developed pick and roll big man in Sengun.

People keep knocking his effort - I don’t see that. He’s a more rigid body type and doesn’t move as fluidly as Atari. Doesn’t mean his effort isn’t there.

His body needs to fill out for him to have an impact in the role he’s currently playing.
    Yank KPJ and insert a true point guard (a la mark Jackson) - and his offense would become more pronounced. Until then - focus on his positioning, rebounding and continued yes improvements.

I expect to see a more comfortable Jabari in the second half up until he hits the rookie wall.

are we even 20 games in yet?

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

No, which is what makes all the posters trying to project him as a bust so effin' stupid

Stephen_A, clutchdabear and studogg like this.
  16. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I don't think it's fair to critique Jabari until he plays with a seasoned point guard. KPJ is a problem. He does not make anyone around him better.

17. chenjy9

Supporting Member

It’s not fair to criticize any player 14 games into the season.

Stephen_A likes this.
  18. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

exception: Royce White #bewell

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

He is what he is as of now.. A taller PJ Tucker on offense with decent perimeter defense.. Won't change with Silas here... Won't change if he can't adapt.. Damn sure won't change when the French kid gets here... He better hope we get Scooter and an innovative coach in here.

20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Where did you get the information he was “never an elite shooter”? I don’t know who shot better than him in college but I do have his statistics in college.

He shot overall 41.9% from three (90th percentile) and 43.6% of his total shots were 3's.

He is in the 85th percentile of catch and shoot percentage at 41.4% and 83% of these catch and shoot shots were guarded.

He hit 65.2% of open catch and shoot shots (100th percentile).

25% of his shots were in the paint and at the rim while 75% of his shots were mid-range or 3's

45.2% FG% on spot up shots (94th percentile).

40% FG% shots off the dribble.

He was money on 3 pt wings (shot 48.7% from right wing & 45% from left wing).

According to these stats I would say he was elite in college.

Interesting is Klay Thompson’s numbers his Freshman year was very similar to Jabari’s (.421 FG%, .427 2P%, and .412 3P%). Thompson also had issues with handles and going to the rim but improved on this through the years.

Easy likes this.