1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its cool to see Sengun baby hook his way into the top 60. I'll be curious to see how that efficiency holds up once he can learn to hit a consistent jump shot outside of 10 feet -- if this team ever reaches the playoffs I'll be hyped to watch how a 90s offense matches up with the current defensive trends. He also needs to get way better on defense particularly on the perimeter as a switch defender and more glaringly as the roll defender on PNR action that usually results in easy lobs when he is involved. Turnovers can pop up as an issue, but thats expected with the age of this team.

Learning how to play within his frame and not fouling would be nice. Your best ability is availability.

Other than that he's a "perfect" player and the team is better with him on the roster and playing long minutes. Far from a finished product - the future looks bright. (as I've always said, but I wont pronate myself before an image of him as a savior sorry)

hakeem94, persian hoopa and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Consistency is going to be a huge factor. The flashes are there.
    He has to develop a consistent jumper to really be unleashed offensively imo.
    The free throw stroke tells me he can.
    Defensively he has to know when to contest and when not to. Hell get stronger and that will help a lot too.
    The young fellas are still two years away I think.

3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Gobert has never looked good. I don't get how that GM got a job. I could do better than him in my sleep. The league ran past Gobert years ago and this guy traded 5 first round picks for him.. I still can't believe it. When it's all said and done Gobert will only be known as the clown who shut the league down for Covid.

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Jumper and 3-point shot...that would be awesome. Practice, practice, practice. Both should be feasible...more feasible than suddenly jumping out of the gym. But I guess quick leaping can also be trained at least a bit.

conquistador#11 and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

He's already super consistent within 5 feet or so IMO. He has a knack for backing down and getting his baby hook almost at will. Issues arise when defenses actually try to take it away - what is the counter? Its awesome to see him finishing plays as the roll man. He will never be an above the rim lob threat or explosive athlete, but he doesnt need to be in order to be a high leverage player. Adding a routine jumper would work wonders as then you suddenly have a pick and pop/high post initiator that the defense has to honor and not sag off of. Really REALLY good player, not sure how many times I need to say it. The issue with this assortment of players is that they dont know HOW to win as a TEAM yet and the only way you accomplish that is by losing as a team first. The blissful fan in me was hoping for a better W/L record this year, but it seems as if everyone involved is OK with punting this year so what can you do. Arguing and bickering and trying to isolate ONE player for what ails this team is tiresome. KPJ sucks and he is the Jonah with this team since even when he does have moments of good play its always followed by a qualifier. Scrap him. Lets see how good this team is without him. Im hoping he has a fluke injury so that everyone can get the satisfaction they desire.

#4685 Verbal Christ, Nov 15, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    noppeper, cmoak1982 and O-dawg like this.
  6. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Show me where I've unfairly criticized either. I replied to a post where I felt your take was a little over the top regarding Alpi. So please share where I've denigrated Alperun. I'll wait. Might take a minute because I like Alpi, it's just hard to have a conversation about him without someone taking offense to any criticism. While at the same time scapegoating some of his teammates when he makes mistakes just like everyone else on this young team (i.e. some of his defensive woes).

Think you may be projecting a bit here my friend. I don't know or care where the fans are from, my problem is that many of them are only fans of Alperun and don't care about the TEAM. To the point that they would rather he be traded. It was the same with Yao and when Yao was no longer a Rocket many of those posters left and I'm pretty sure they don't follow the Rockets anymore.

I'm a Rockets fan, it's hard sometimes, but I'm really excited by this rebuilding process. I think Stone has made some good moves and look forward to seeing this young core grow together. As a TEAM. Alperun is part of that, Jalen is part of that but neither has distinguished themselves as THE part. Who the best player is will vary from week to week and game to game until they get more consistent which makes this discussion silly.

#4686 O-dawg, Nov 15, 2022
    Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

He's a very talented offensive player, but is a total liability on defense. He stops no one at the rim. It's hard to see how he can be a starting center on a competitive team.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Well said. I actually like KPJ, I just think he’s being put in a position he’s going to fail at.
    I’d rather see Green facilitate at this point (to be fair I didn’t think he could but he looks better than KPJ last night)
    Let KPJ come in and score and Green take over when the time calls for it

hakeem94 and Verbal Christ like this.
  9. Bo6

Bo6 Member

right now he's tough to play if he's not scoring. teams are starting to take away his post-ups or make it harder to get into his spots. Beacuse of Silas's offense and his reluctance to use Segun as a passer, he will have some quiet nights moving forward.

defensively we all know his weaknesses. we can only hope others around him get better. Once Gordon is out of the starting line-up and Tari or KJ are inserted then it will help ALP a lot. Remember we are starting 3 guards on defense.

#4689 Bo6, Nov 15, 2022
    AlperenSengun likes this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Growing pains suck. The youth of this team is always going to insert itself at the most inopportune times during games. These kids are reckless with the ball at times - you wont win anything when you turn the ball over as much as they do and that is a shared flaw that varies game to game, but can be chalked up to experience. Im already past my point of patience with the KPJ agenda both ways. Its time to see how the team plays without him. It would help to expose all the talking points and further the conversation along. I personally dont view Jalen as a lead guard, but who's to say he couldnt become one with more practice. Worked for Harden. I'd prefer some more glaring shake ups instead of the horrendous lineup variations that Silas throws out there - just take out KPJ for a while and see where the team goes. ROX Nation has always been and WILL ALWAYS BE about more than just one player.

cmoak1982 and O-dawg like this.
  11. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's what is really funny to me. I think that I've been harder on KPJ than any Rocket, but that has more to do with his role as a PG than KPJ as a player, but would still hate to see him traded because the kid is talented. I don't get much grief from the KPJ community though. Just sayin'.

Anyway. Agree that Alperun's touch around the rim is superb. I've said before his ability to get that shot off against taller players is uncanny and I think part of the counter is that he can use either hand for that Jump hook. It really appears to give defenders trouble not knowing which shoulder is the fake or the actual shot.

Wins will come but I really believe the strategy is suck this year (again) use the draft pick (picks?) and try to become a viable team next year.

#4691 O-dawg, Nov 15, 2022
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

After reviewing your posts a bit, you weren't that bad. More balanced. Your focus seems more on the posters who think Alpi is the best player, which seems to trigger you and make you angry towards those posters (but not towards Alpi). You are not as bad as @maj21 and some others who get so angry at the posters who like Alpi that they start to trash Alpi.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Maybe KPJ doesnt fit and its just that simple? Anytime an argument is presented that tries to paint a picture of optimism with him it gets met with an eye raising amount of ugly around these parts. Other platforms seem to offer a more patient approach trying to encapsulate all of the issues with the team and seem to be more realistic in terms of expectations during a rebuild, but it seems as if this place just requires a patsy to blame which is fine. Human nature. Next game he has a "good" game will just have multiple footnotes so for everyones sake its time to let him watch. Maybe the team plays way better without him and it will be the natural kick in the butt he needs to assimilate. All this assuming that KPJ is out there freestyling and not following a blueprint. I've seen the other lead guards play and its not much different - just saying.

I've been high on Alpy since draft night. I just havent resorted to burning incense at a shrine and I think that is what irks some of his most devout fans. To each their own!

Yeah I was one of the guys who saw the ball movement in the pre season and was super hyped and barked out "play in" and +30 win season. As the systemic decision making starting to become more obvious and less nuanced its readily apparent that this year is another "developmental" season for a high draft pick. I can only hope that in a few years everyone can look back and get a chuckle from the passion exhibited in these posts.

O-dawg and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I would really like to be optimistic with KPJ, but he is just so frustrating to watch. The thing is, he is still better than Nix lol. Let's try TyTy for a bit. Or just move Green to PG.

I'd like to see a lineup tried of Green, Bari, Tari, Garuba, Sengun, just for the heck of it. Yup, Bari as SG and Garuba as PF. Why the heck not lol.

Or Green, KMJ, Tari, Bari, Sengun.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I like that lineup but would put KJ over Garuba.
    That lineup would be stupid good

16. maj21

maj21 Member

You’re dumb lol

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

SOF PLANT DETECTED!
    @LeDakota
    this is probably a part of centuries old conspiracy of turkey to invade USA

LeDakota and Ankara1923 like this.
  18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Ngl I think if green keeps up this hot performance, I think he might snatch the title as best on the team. 20+ points per game, sht ton of assist and solid defense? Sengun is gonna need 2 step it up and make it a friendly competition.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Is ALp on a 30min restriction?

Ankara1923 and AroundTheWorld like this.